or Connect

Posts by mark2005

"While both Apple and Samsung were found guilty of patent infringement, the disparity was wide: While Apple paid only$158,000 in damages, Samsung was fined $119.6 million. Still, the retrial proved advantageous for Samsung, which saw its original damages reduced from some $1.05 billion."   Article is screwed up. The "retrial" for Apple vs. Samsung I reduced the damages to $930 million. The way this is written it confuses the damages from Apple vs. Samsung II with the...
As you say and I agree, Apple certainly has the right to sue regarding past infringements but as I already said, Apple would likely choose not to go after older products as Apple is not after money (damages), they're seeking an injunction. If our legal system ever grants Apple an injunction on some Samsung product, it would also apply to other Samsung products that are not "colorably different".
My guess is Apple will sue again if both Apple-Samsung I and Apple-Samsung II don't result in an injunction against Samsung, and if the legal decisions don't make it nearly impossible to get one.  (Apple-Samsung I is on appeal at the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.)  It would probably take an injunction to get Samsung to agree to any settlement acceptable to Apple.    If there is another lawsuit, Apple would choose its infringed claims/patents that it...
IIRC, Judge Koh limited Apple and Samsung to 5 claims each (and 25 hours of trial time). Apple reduced their list to 5 patents, asserting infringement of one claim in each. Samsung reduced their list to 4 patents, then dropped 2 which were standard-essential patents (SEPs).     Note: Apple itself doesn't practice every one of the five asserted claims from these five patents, altho it does practice at least one claim in each of the asserted patents. (There are multiple...
Apple has been selling iPhone 4S for 2.5 years, and iPhone 5C for 6 months. Plus iPhone 4S was the flagship for 12 months. So there should be more 4S out there than 5C. And it isn't that easy to distinguish iPhone 4 from a 4S.     But since we're talking anecdotes, I just saw three 5C this morning at Panera Bread - pink one, green one, and blue one. 
"And Samsung's lower-priced options proved more popular than the iPhone for those who earn $60,000 or less in the U.S." That sentence is WRONG. Do the math. According to NPD, there were 121m smartphones sold in the US. Apple sold 45%, of which 43% were sold to those with incomes under $60k, or 23.4m smartphones. Samsung sold 26%, of which 62% were sold to those with incomes under $60k, or 19.5m. Apple sold more smartphones than Samsung to those with incomes under $60k....
Why would an iPhone lite have a retina display? It wouldn't, instead it would have a 3GS quality screen, updated with some of the iPhone 4 level internals. So its costs would be less than the $188 starting point.
The words on Apple's invitation to WWDC makes it pretty clear that there's no iOS 5 preview in April. If there was, Apple would've announced that first, and then announced WWDC dates at the preview or after (as has been the pattern of previous years). September is still in this fiscal year (Apple's year ends Sept 24). Apple has been announcing new iPods on the Wed following Labor Day, so iPhone would now become the main fall product leading into Christmas (with iPad as...
Agree. My bet is that Lion is released in June after WWDC. iOS 5 gets previewed for a late August release, just before the arrival of the next iPhone in September.
Just when you think you've got it figured out, Apple changes. (Although I think Apple is changing the schedule because it's waiting for the new LTE chips, and the externals aren't changing much.) Note that Apple has stopped giving quick sales-on-launch updates. After several years of doing so, it didn't happen for the Verizon iPhone 4 and for the iPad 2.