or Connect

Posts by mark2005

Here is iPhone's YOY unit sales growth beginning with 2008 Apr-Jun qtr: 166%, 516% (iPhone 3G launch), 88%, 123%, 626% (iPhone 3GS launch), 7%, 100%, and 131%. Except for one quarter, Apple managed to at least double (or almost double) sales YOY by appropriately setting launch dates throughout the world. The one no-doubling quarter occurred because in 2008 it was the launch quarter and in 2009, it was not. Regardless, did anyone notice it? Apple doesn't really care about...
I take all Strand reports with a grain of salt. Seems like he has a bone to pick with Apple. For every quarter since iPhone arrived in 2007, AT&T has added postpaid subscribers and said 33-40%+ of iPhone subscribers were new to AT&T. New iPhone subscribers in some quarters was more than new postpaid subscribers due to churn (people leaving) and AT&T subscribers upgrading to iPhone. AT&T has also reduced postpaid churn by 18-20%. Of course, it's possible that all those...
It's just really sad that in Adobe putting a heart in their response, journalists writing about this think that Adobe is showing love to Apple. Look at the headlines - it shows such superficiality. Beyond the hearts, the Adobe letter is full of lies - the main one being despite all the words, Adobe Flash (registered trademark) is not open; it's proprietary. MacDailyNews has a great response : http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/25224/
Time spent waiting is time that one is not using the product. So if there is a likely good return that can be had from using the product (even a 1.0 product), it may be worthwhile to buy it. I'm sure you've considered this in your thinking, but it's just not coming out in the way you've articulated your decision in your post. Which allows for me and others to have a little fun ... As for printing and other features (like multi-tasking), those will arrive with OS 4 for...
Agree. The Mac, desktop and notebook versions, are still flawed. But I'm glad I bought one in 1984 and 1998 and 2008. If I'd adopted a philosophy of waiting for a "not flawed" product, I'd still be computer-less and waiting 26 years later. My 2008 BMW is flawed (as the 2010 Bimmers are improved). But it was certainly nice for transporting me from place to place for the last 2 years (instead of walking), and one heck of a lot better than even a Toyota.
AT&T issued the warning because they were about to be hit with a double whammy at the introduction of the iPhone 3G, not because the phone subsidy was so large. AT&T was also still paying a share of the monthly subscriber data fee for the original iPhone. So for the year after the intro of iPhone 3G, they would be paying both each quarter. That would lead to higher costs relative to the year before (when they were not paying subsidies at all for iPhone).
"Newest" depends on when during the year. In June/July, it'll be iPhone. In other months, it'll probably be Android. "most fully-featured, coolest, most capable" depends on what you mean by that. If you mean the one with the longest list of features, and the highest number of megapixels, then you're right, it'll not be Apple. If you mean the phone with best overall and balanced user experience - with well thought-out and simple-to-use UI, most responsive, most accurate...
Though on the Apple App Store side, several developers have spoken, some we're making money (or lots of money), and some not.
But so is the display...
No one except some clueless Syracuse News journalist actually believes the 5 year deal is still in effect. Even Nilay Patel of Engadget who dug up the Apple confirmation wrote in his article that he doubts it's in effect because the same USA Today journalist who wrote the original scoop in 2007, wrote a subsequent article about a 3-year deal, and the WSJ wrote about an 1-year extension to the 3-year deal.