or Connect

Posts by mark2005

I just want to know how many paying customers there are for apps on Android phones. I don't actually care whether the App is sold in the Market or on a website. No point selling anywhere if no one is buying, is there?If I'm a developer, why isn't what I'm asking relevant?If I'm an investor looking to finance a developer, why isn't what I'm asking relevant?Is the fragmentation, carrier control over OS upgrades, limited app memory, and refunds killing the market for paid...
Of course, Apple knows there is an opportunity. But do you know Apple's strategic plan? Do you know what opportunities Apple would have to give up to partner with VZW?It always amazes me, that after watching Jobs/Cook/Schiller perform for the last ten years, that bloggers and commenters presume to know more about how to run the Apple business than the Apple A-team. That team has studied more smartphone sales and marketing data, more technology roadmap data, and more...
The subsidy amount is not what stopped a deal between Apple and VZW in 2006, as there was no subsidy in the original 2007 iPhone pricing and AT&T contract. It was control over the handset (iTunes Store, no carrier deck, no Verizon branding), activation, marketing, repairs/servicing, sales/distribution channel, and sharing of data fee.
My sentiments exactly. Changewave just reported that 52% of Verizon subscribers who are interested in smartphones, want an iPhone. Anecdotally, on this board and all around me in the Boston area, I hear the same desire. Not sure what McLean is thinking.
Agree and what if it's battery life was significantly better? And what if AT&T allows 3GS owners to upgrade in less than a year? (I just checked my account and my upgrade date has been moved up to 7/23/2010, and I didn't buy my 3GS until Aug 2009.)If this is AT&T's last iPhone exclusive, I can see them pulling out all the stops to entice as many subscribers as possible to sign up for a new 2-year iPhone contract.
You need to go back to the way things were in 2006. Without AT&T around to agree to an exclusive, Apple would never have gotten the freedom to establish almost total control over its handset, including direct iTunes sales. The whole App Store concept would've been still-born. Only in desperation in 2009 did Verizon finally loosen its strings and allow Android and its Market in.
When will Google or any developer release some data about sales and revenue data resulting from selling apps for Android phones? Especially to counter data showing that free apps are even more dominant in Android Market (when compared to App Store). Why hasn't any such data been released yet?
Apple doesn't care about being number 1 in market share, or even number 2. They're not after market share for market share sake, or for bragging rights. But Apple does care about establishing viable products - Apple's goal at iPhone launch was 1% or 10M units in its first full year. So they dropped the price, and then changed their sales model (to subsidy) to make that happen.Apple also does care about number of iPhone OS units sold for the sake of the iPhone OS...
As long as Apple keeps innovating in a way that leads to products with a great user experience, I want Apple to exist. I want to have the opportunity to choose the Apple paradigm because all the other electronics/computer companies have bought into a different paradigm that leads to mostly crappy copycat products. In order for Apple to exist, they need to maintain a fair profit to keep innovating. Also as a consumer, I'm willing to pay a fair premium for the better user...
Wow, you really have trouble with reading comprehension. So simplifying for such as you: NPD estimated US sales of Android smartphones and Apple smartphones (i.e., iPhone) based on a survey. People question it. So let's see if we can corroborate the survey with whatever data we have. There is NO public data on iPhone sales in US but AT&T reported iPhone activations serves as a useful proxy, since AT&T is the only carrier for iPhone in US. There is NO public data on...