or Connect

Posts by mark2005

Living in the US with one carrier, I don't see those types of ads. What you're pointing out is quite interesting. I think the carriers make more money on Android phones than on iPhone (assuming the plans are the same) as the subsidy for iPhone is about $400, and I think it's less for the other phones (even if those phones are free). So I can see why Telus might be proclaiming the Milestone more than iPhone.
Of course it's still profitable. With a two-year contract and $30 data plan, VZW rakes in $720 (assuming it doesn't allow early upgrades). If the handset cost VZW $300, that's $420 in extra revenue, which provides the needed cash flow for capital investment for their LTE network, and most of the $420 is profit. But the real reason Verizon does BOGO is that their retail postpaid churn rate (net % of subscribers leaving) has grown by 20% since AT&T started selling iPhone....
The exclusivity in the US has certainly caused the other carriers to be hungry for a competitive handset. Which was the Palm Pre and these Android-based phones. But my sense is the main reason Android hasn't equalled Apple in smartphone sales worldwide is that Android-based phone mfrs haven't made a big distribution and marketing push overseas (excluding the UK) yet. iPhone has only just expanded worldwide in a big way during this past year. If you're located outside the...
Agree, Apple's carefully understated point is that it's the platform that really matters in the long run, not just the individual devices. So iPod touch units matter to the platform. Journalists and analysts are having a hard time grasping that. Look at Apple's iPhone and iPod touch advertising to see what's important. It's the Apps; it's the platform.
As I wrote yesterday, AT&T reported 2.7m activations this past quarter. Some small number above that may have bought iPhones and activated on T-mobile or outside the US. According to IDC, HTC sold 2.6m smartphones and Motorola sold 2.3m smartphones this past quarter worldwide. (Canalys reportes 2.8m for HTC and 2.6m for Motorola, so you can see that it's not that accurate.) Samsung also sold some Android phones in the US (but its not in the top 5 worldwide so its total...
It depends on the specific contract between mfr and carrier. Of course, the carrier can afford it, but that $300 subsidy comes right out of their profit and reduces their cash flow. In any case, if VZW commits to 1m Palm Pre and pays Palm a fixed high price for each but is unable to sell them and resorts to 2-for-1s, what is the chance that VZW commits to 1m Palm anythings the next time around? If anything, VZW would demand a much lower price for a given volume...
There are not more Android phones than iPhones. Android only topped iPhone sales for one quarter (and only in this not-yet-shown-to-be-accurate survey). At least in the US where 2-year contracts reign, you have to include at least the seven quarters prior to determine which OS has the most phones in use.
Be careful - iPhone is getting plenty of overseas sales, while Android hasn't really made a big move offshore. So in a US-only survey, the two could be comparable, with both in the range of about 3m units per quarter.
Sorry that I misunderstood the context of your response.Q3 share increased to about 28% from about 24% in Q2.A year ago between Jan and Apr, I was responding to many posts here at AI about how the competition was catching up and even surpassing Apple. G1, Omnia HD, N900, etc were all brought up to show that Apple had fallen behind. And yet come Q3, Apple gained share. So again since Sep, the competition has brought out better phones, better OSes, better App stores. ...
The graph is using percentages not absolute amounts. Generally, the size of the US smartphone market is also increasing; so a share decrease can mask a unit increase. Apple's biggest US quarter is generally the 3rd calendar quarter, and then it decreases for 4Q and 1Q. Assuming that this survey data is accurate (a VERY BIG ASSUMPTION), we can roughly calibrate it against the AT&T iPhone activation data. (I'm assuming away some still small number of US iPhone sales that...