or Connect

Posts by mark2005

There are not more Android phones than iPhones. Android only topped iPhone sales for one quarter (and only in this not-yet-shown-to-be-accurate survey). At least in the US where 2-year contracts reign, you have to include at least the seven quarters prior to determine which OS has the most phones in use.
Be careful - iPhone is getting plenty of overseas sales, while Android hasn't really made a big move offshore. So in a US-only survey, the two could be comparable, with both in the range of about 3m units per quarter.
Sorry that I misunderstood the context of your response.Q3 share increased to about 28% from about 24% in Q2.A year ago between Jan and Apr, I was responding to many posts here at AI about how the competition was catching up and even surpassing Apple. G1, Omnia HD, N900, etc were all brought up to show that Apple had fallen behind. And yet come Q3, Apple gained share. So again since Sep, the competition has brought out better phones, better OSes, better App stores. ...
The graph is using percentages not absolute amounts. Generally, the size of the US smartphone market is also increasing; so a share decrease can mask a unit increase. Apple's biggest US quarter is generally the 3rd calendar quarter, and then it decreases for 4Q and 1Q. Assuming that this survey data is accurate (a VERY BIG ASSUMPTION), we can roughly calibrate it against the AT&T iPhone activation data. (I'm assuming away some still small number of US iPhone sales that...
Agree. I thought NPD usually collected its data at retail points-of-sale. I wonder why this study didn't use that data, but instead turned to consumer surveys. Very strange.
You don't have to manage your phone. You can still tap on the icon on any of the regular app pages if you want. When you close an app, it does save its state (assuming that the app does that). When you press the icon again (on those pages), it opens. If you want to use the special multitasking panel, you can, but you don't have to. The panel allows you to rapidly switch between those "open" apps more quickly because they're all there, rather than possibly scattered...
I understand that Spotify has certain rights in exchange for subscriptions, either paid or ad-supported. But does anyone know how Spotify has gotten approval from music labels for these various other features (like streaming own music), and yet Apple seems to get a flat response for those same features? Does Spotify restrict its users to one device? (or one device at any given moment in time?) Does Spotify play ads when you stream your own (purchased) music to your...
I hope that there will be competition too, but I also think Apple is internally driven to keep improving (well, as long as Jobs is CEO) but the pricing could get out of control.Agree that Bada seems like an afterthought. I think I've written here before that Google and Nokia are the biggest threats to Apple. Both are able to write decent software. Both understand the need for owning an OS and platform, though having multiple may be a mistake. Nokia has production,...
When asking people who have yet to use it, I think it makes sense too that the number is high. But after people use it, I'm thinking this number will decrease. And if the survey asks, "has iPad COMPLETELY replaced your notebook?", then the answer will be lower. But I'm thinking that the question will be more like "has iPad replaced your notebook?", in which cases most people will think it has replaced it for most tasks, and reply yes.
I think you overstate where Nokia is, and understate where Apple is. There is a huge huge difference between "delivered with high customer satisfaction", and "promising potential coming soon."What Qt hopes to do is very very very hard, especially if they plan to support hundreds of models with varying physical characteristics and components. This concept is the Holy Grail of software and in almost thirty years of software engineering, I've yet to see it done successfully...