or Connect

Posts by Bregalad

The new Mac Pro is a cool looking little thing much like the Mac Cube was. Like the cube it's priced high from a pure performance standpoint while seriously limiting expansion or upgrades. It's an appliance for a very specific user who needs distributed GPU capabilities, but doesn't need any storage space. It's hard to see who that could possibly be.   The MP forces any serious user to have the cable clutter of external storage. This from the company that otherwise does...
No, the main reason for keeping the non-retina iMac is price. Until Apple can significantly lower manufacturing costs for retina iMacs they will need to keep the older models around. I would not expect to ever see an update to the non-retina iMac models. The last non-retina MBP that's still available was introduced in June 2012 and hasn't received an update since then. So is there a reason to update the retina iMac and are there components available for that purpose? I've...
It's good to see people who are happy with Yosemite in every way because my personal experience has been more mixed. I know over 120 Mac users and while the jury is out on the UI changes in Yosemite, there is a unanimous verdict that it's slower than previous versions of the OS. There are unmistakable delays in basic functions that simply weren't there before, delays that can't be eliminated no matter how much of the new eye candy is disabled.   I think some of the UI...
Feature compatibility, or lack thereof, is only one of the problems with Excel for Mac. Lack of performance is also a huge issue for many users. Office for Mac barely crawls along. You can get far superior performance and fewer weird bugs running Office for Windows in VirtualBox (the slowest Windows on Mac solution). Windows still commands 90% of the PC market despite the missteps with Vista and Windows 8 and the overall movement from desktop to mobile. Apple choosing to...
ARM Mac - can't run Windows, but can run iOS x86 Mac - can run Windows, only developer tools can run iOS Given that iOS apps are designed for small touch screens, being able to run them on your Mac doesn't seem like a particularly important feature to me. If Apple ever decides it is they can create a consumer facing version of the iOS simulator. Intel chips have plenty of power to handle ARM emulation. The converse isn't true (yet if ever). Despite all the hype around...
I've seen missing menu bars in both Mountain Lion and Mavericks, but it's pretty rare and always related to external displays or having recently unplugged an external display. Some of the Yosemite problems (possibly yours included) are more easily reproduced and stand a better chance of being corrected. Like the sporadic, seemingly random wireless issues, performance has to be the biggest mystery of Yosemite. Some report that the OS performs fine, but others (ranging from...
And $350 is for the entry level sport model.Rumours say that Apple Watch will cost $1000 and may not even include a strap. You might have to fork over hundreds more to wear the Apple Watch. The gold Edition watches are virtually guaranteed to cost several thousand dollars without a strap. If you aren't in the market for a Rolex, you're probably not in the market for an Apple Watch.
I really appreciate all the math, but downscaling still feels like a compromise to me. My guess is they wanted a 1242x2208 display, but couldn't find anyone who could produce the required number at the required quality and required price point. I wouldn't be surprised if a selling point of the iPhone 6s Plus (or iPhone 7 Plus depending on how long it takes LCD manufacturers to meet Apple's requirements) is a full 3x retina 1242x2208 display.
Apple has something like 500 million iTunes customers and they added it to every single account. If even 10% of people have automatic downloads turned on then it was pushed to 50 million. I suspect the percentage with automatic downloads turned on is much higher. So the logical conclusion is that they're reporting 2 million people who don't have automatic downloads have chosen to download the album. Even that seems somewhat low to me given that it's free and the giveaway...
Looking at the MBP situation there was a clear reason why Apple continued to ship 2.0GHz and 2.3GHz machines instead of adopting the identically priced 2.1 and 2.4GHz parts: the top end was stuck at 2.6GHz. Without a new top end chip Apple didn't want to upgrade the bottom and middle machines. Intel then produced not only a 2.8GHz top end, but also replaced the 2.1 and 2.4 with faster 2.2 and 2.5GHz parts. When Apple could move the entire line up by 200MHz they...