or Connect

Posts by Bregalad

All work and no play makes.... well you know the rest. Unfortunately the Mac Pro is only good value for some professionals. Those who need more CPU than GPU power have been left with no choice but to switch operating systems or build a hackintosh. One industry that's been left in a tough spot is large scale iOS app development because they're forced to use Mac hardware. If you're building dozens of apps you need as many CPU cores and as much RAM as you can throw at the...
Apple's implementation just makes sense. You're going to touch that button anyway so why not use your fingerprint as the key? It's also a level of security appropriate with the type of access you're trying to grant. In a world where 50% of phones have no security at all it's definitely good enough. In terms of data retention storing your fingerprint in some form is not an invasion of privacy since the screen is already collecting fingerprints all day long.   Samsung has...
All drives eventually fail for one reason or another. Internal drives die, external drives die, external cases die and external power supplies die. I'm sure each of us has our own horror stories and anecdotal evidence that one company or another is worse than the rest. I remember when my company got a bad batch of WD external drives. We lost 4 of them in a month, but others won't use anything but WD.
In a thread where most comments are critical of the way Google tracks us everywhere we go, you complain that Facebook isn't tracking you enough. Unbelievable!
The much simpler solution is to make two different sizes of iPhone. 4" for the regular one-handed crowd and something larger for those with big hands and those who don't care so much about one-handed operation. You can even use the same LCD material cut to two different dimensions. For example:4" 640x11365" 800x1422Adjust the backlighting a smidge and you've got identical display quality in both models. Trying to make one phone that's perfect for everyone is impossible.
$100 over two years is a "whopping" 14 cents/day. With many people paying close to $100 every month for their smartphone plans it's shocking how many worry about finding those extra few pennies per day to get the phone they really want. I'm sure that if Apple does introduce a phone with a larger display they'll shrink the bezels to keep the overall size increase small.I really think they should do what they've done with their MacBooks and iPads: offer different sizes of...
 Every TV manufacturer hates the future you've presented and will do everything in their power to ensure it never happens.They don't want to sell big, dumb panels that plug into other manufacturers' devices. They want to sell you a big, "smart" panel that has all the capabilities of all your peripheral boxes. They are working toward a future where the TV itself is the gateway to content, no box required. The only way there will ever be a TV with only three buttons is if...
Within the same power envelope and price category Haswell offers a 2.3GHz CPU with Iris Pro 5200 graphics and a 2.7GHz CPU with HD4600 graphics. The 2.7GHz Haswell would have turned in 17% better CPU scores in Geekbench and cost Apple roughly $100 less. So clearly there's something else going on here and I think the Mac Pro's twin GPU is the key. I think Apple is trying to move toward a world where two GPUs are used at the same time: one for computation and one to drive...
What's needed is a change in the Energy Saver panel to allow users to specify: Automatic switching, Only use Discrete, Only use Integrated. It should never have been implemented as a check box. I was surprised that Apple went with the Haswell chips they did. I was expecting to see Apple use the direct replacements for the Ivy Bridge chips they previously used. Prices for the chips are virtually identical too. Below are the actual chips used in the early 2013 Ivy Bridge 15"...
Final Cut Pro and Aperture are used by a lot of people who will never own a Mac Pro. If they're not coming out until December it's because they're not ready, not because Apple is holding them back. Who knows, by the time I've posted this they might have appeared on the App Store.