or Connect

Posts by Bregalad

I hope this is the year Apple finally decides to build two different sizes of iPhone. Different parts of the market have different priorities and choice is good. Yes it would complicate the product line and supply chain, but every other full-featured Apple device with a built-in display comes in two sizes (iPad, iMac, MBAir, MBPro) and when it comes to something handheld one size cannot fit all.   They could lose a lot of customers if the only new iPhone is too big. A...
Broadwell is going to be late, very late. It might not even ship until 2015.
Apple touts the Mac mini as the most power efficient desktop out there. They would definitely be interested in further savings in electricity consumption.   My hunch is that they've had a look at the Geekbench scores showing the high end Mac Mini beating much more expensive iMacs and decided that situation is depressing iMac sales and therefore costing them profits. How to react? Make the iMac more appealing by having it compete against previous generation minis. Then,...
To each his/her own. In my opinion Apple creates good looking electronics that don't feel good in your hand. The iP4 is way too square. I can feel the edges digging into my skin. The shape and weight gave the iP4 the nickname Brick. The contemporary iPod touch was smooth, curved and slippery feeling. Likewise the glossy plastic of the iP5C is also slippery. Maybe it gets better with wear, but I couldn't get past that initial "bar of soap" impression. Aluminum phones tend...
 I don't write code or manage servers so what follows is things I've heard from people closer to those jobs. What I've heard is that all servers these days (file servers, web servers and possibly build servers) aren't actually dedicated pieces of equipment, but exist as virtual machines that can be independently rebooted or moved around as needed. If that's the case then the real hardware is likely running Linux or Windows Server plus VMWare. The virtual machines could...
All work and no play makes.... well you know the rest. Unfortunately the Mac Pro is only good value for some professionals. Those who need more CPU than GPU power have been left with no choice but to switch operating systems or build a hackintosh. One industry that's been left in a tough spot is large scale iOS app development because they're forced to use Mac hardware. If you're building dozens of apps you need as many CPU cores and as much RAM as you can throw at the...
Apple's implementation just makes sense. You're going to touch that button anyway so why not use your fingerprint as the key? It's also a level of security appropriate with the type of access you're trying to grant. In a world where 50% of phones have no security at all it's definitely good enough. In terms of data retention storing your fingerprint in some form is not an invasion of privacy since the screen is already collecting fingerprints all day long.   Samsung has...
All drives eventually fail for one reason or another. Internal drives die, external drives die, external cases die and external power supplies die. I'm sure each of us has our own horror stories and anecdotal evidence that one company or another is worse than the rest. I remember when my company got a bad batch of WD external drives. We lost 4 of them in a month, but others won't use anything but WD.
In a thread where most comments are critical of the way Google tracks us everywhere we go, you complain that Facebook isn't tracking you enough. Unbelievable!
The much simpler solution is to make two different sizes of iPhone. 4" for the regular one-handed crowd and something larger for those with big hands and those who don't care so much about one-handed operation. You can even use the same LCD material cut to two different dimensions. For example:4" 640x11365" 800x1422Adjust the backlighting a smidge and you've got identical display quality in both models. Trying to make one phone that's perfect for everyone is impossible.