or Connect

Posts by Bregalad

I don't know why anyone with an IQ above their shoe size pays attention to what Gene Munster says.   The sales split makes perfect sense in the markets reported. If you plan to keep your phone for 2 years the difference between the 5C and 5S is just 14 cents per day.   In China the iPhone is a status symbol that's priced well above the reach of the average citizen. In past years you could buy last year's model and nobody would be able to tell you paid less than full...
 I'm reminded of Benjamin Franklin's comments about trading freedom for temporary security, but while he may have represented many in his day it seems that 21st century Americans are far more interested in convenience and staying "connected". Most don't seem to care who is reading all their texts, email, Google searches and Facebook posts, and some even welcome 24/7/365 surveillance. Today we're tracked by ISPs, advertisers, push notification companies, Google, the NSA,...
Well that was a massively underwhelming Apple event. I think we all need to temper our expectations and remember that Apple is an incredibly patient company that is perfectly willing to make people wait 16 months for an overdue update. I'm sure they want to standardize on the Lightning connector and 4" display, but ultimately it's about dollars and cents. Shoving the 4S guts into the 5C body (what I predicted the 5C would be) must have a higher cost than continuing...
The new 5S will look like a premium phone and not just because of its aluminum case. I expect the plastic 5C to contain:   The A5 processor from the 4S and iPod touch A new, inexpensive camera component probably shared with the 2013 iPod touch The 4" display from the 5 and iPod touch   It will be two generations behind on the CPU/GPU and have a lower end camera. Even so it will sell extremely well, just as the 4 and 4S have this past year. Not everyone...
Apple is still selling a lot of 4 and 4S iPhones and price may not be the only reason. I think people know that Apple products are well made and are drawn to the option of getting high build quality at a reduced price.  I believe there is a big demographic who want the precision metal phone and are willing to accept last year's model to get that in a more affordable phone.   I was recently helping two people shop for inexpensive pre-paid phones for talk and text....
That's the big change I'm hoping for in the next iMac.     Haswell will do very little for the iMac. In fact I fear the 21.5" model will have every part soldered to the logic board like a notebook. Iris 5200 graphics are only available in the solder-in BGA version of Haswell and Apple already makes it nearly impossible to upgrade the RAM so why not go all the way and make it truly impossible to upgrade? The 27" model should retain discrete graphics and RAM slots, at least...
The "cheap" new iPhone isn't going to be cheap. It exists to move the entire lineup to 4" screen and lightning connector and will put the iPhone 4 and 4S out to pasture. I predict the new lineup will be iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5L at exactly the same price points the 5, 4S and 4 sell for today. If there are multiple colours it will create an illusion of choice for customers who'll no longer be able to choose the iPhone 4 styling or different screen size. Apple has for...
  Why?   Every penny of profit in the mobile phone business comes from the top 20% of phones.
I walked past a small cylinder of plastic toys at ToysRUs the other day. I stopped, placed my hand across the top and then vertically along the side to measure it and discovered that it was slightly larger than the new Mac Pro. That shocked me. I think the new Mac Pro is too small. Apple has committed themselves to exactly one internal design and to heck with anyone wanting something different. A few inches taller, a few inches bigger around and Apple would still have...
  The numbers don't back up your hypothesis. If you ignore the fact that Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion have all had one or more OS release bearing the same number as the one that preceded it, the pace of OS releases today is the same as it was during the Tiger/Leopard years. If you count the supplemental releases, as I've done, the lifespan of a recent OS X version looks more like Jaguar/Panther.   Apple has done 72 OS X releases in a span of 4458 days. Each...