or Connect

Posts by Bregalad

Within the same power envelope and price category Haswell offers a 2.3GHz CPU with Iris Pro 5200 graphics and a 2.7GHz CPU with HD4600 graphics. The 2.7GHz Haswell would have turned in 17% better CPU scores in Geekbench and cost Apple roughly $100 less. So clearly there's something else going on here and I think the Mac Pro's twin GPU is the key. I think Apple is trying to move toward a world where two GPUs are used at the same time: one for computation and one to drive...
What's needed is a change in the Energy Saver panel to allow users to specify: Automatic switching, Only use Discrete, Only use Integrated. It should never have been implemented as a check box. I was surprised that Apple went with the Haswell chips they did. I was expecting to see Apple use the direct replacements for the Ivy Bridge chips they previously used. Prices for the chips are virtually identical too. Below are the actual chips used in the early 2013 Ivy Bridge 15"...
Final Cut Pro and Aperture are used by a lot of people who will never own a Mac Pro. If they're not coming out until December it's because they're not ready, not because Apple is holding them back. Who knows, by the time I've posted this they might have appeared on the App Store.
Indeed. The moment I saw the $329 price tag on the iPad mini I knew Apple really wanted two products at $299 and $399, but couldn't pull it off that year. I wondered about the amazing longevity of the iPad 2, but realized that it's essentially identical to the original iPad mini. If one stays on the price list the other can too. The $100 discount looks stingy, but the cost of building an iPad is probably similar whether you equip it with an A7 or some obsolete CPU you...
Make 32GB the base model.
 If you have a Thunderbolt equipped iMac you can use it as a display for your Mac Pro.
Anyone who can afford a $70 /mo contract can afford an extra 14 cents/day to move up from last year's phone to a 5S. But there are a lot of people out there who can't do math so I'm sure the 5C will do just fine in the long run, especially for Apple who make huge margins on them.
Back when Steve Jobs was still alive I believe the Mac Pro was discontinued. The evidence is clear. If they had intended to keep making them there would have been an update in 2011 and a more significant one in 2012 so buyers would feel comfortable that Apple wasn't abandoning them. Apple also would not have gone 8 months without a single sale in Europe because the product doesn't have regulatory approval. That alone says the Mac Pro was headed for the same fate as the 17"...
If Apple decides to offer two different sizes of iPhone there will be a very clear difference between the two. 4" and 4.5" just isn't going to happen because they would be too close together. Apple hates ambiguity and I know from trying to sell their products in a previous decade that customers offered too many similar looking products have a terrible time making a decision.   Today we see highly simplified product lines from Apple. Nearly every model of Mac comes in...
Intel does decrease prices from time to time as yields improve, but you're right that all OEMs have access to those price adjustments. Apple issued speed bumps earlier this year to the MacBook Pro from 2.3GHz to 2.4GHz and 2.6GHz to 2.7GHz when Intel made the faster chips available at the same price that the slower ones had previously been. It's safe to assume that Apple did this because MacBook Pro customers are important to them. Today the 2.6GHz i7-3720QM and 2.7GHz...