or Connect

Posts by Bregalad

I'm also shocked to see no mention of Google. Android is the most used mobile OS and you can't download an app without signing into a Google account so it stands to reason that Google has more people on file than Apple does. While many of those Google accounts won't have a credit card attached, I'd say that describes the vast majority of Facebook accounts too. Offering more services to existing customers seems like a good idea for any company. For Apple, whose customers...
I work in app development and I've heard complaints from clients who don't like the fact that the icons they've designed are not the ones that appear on the store. Designers never like someone modifying their work, even something relatively minor like adding gloss. We always refer their complaints to Apple.
Complicating the product line by introducing new colours seems like a strange move for a company that steadfastly refuses to complicate their product line with more than one size of current model phone. Most people who want colour already use an inexpensive cover. There's no solution available at any price for those who want a different size iPhone. I work for a very Apple-centric company that's pretty much all Mac, but a large number of our employees have recently...
So there's a big market for cheap smartphones; who would have guessed? I think the size chart is misleading as most large Android devices could fall into the "normal" category including the Nexus 4, HTC One family and Galaxy SIII. What's more telling is the prevalence of xhdpi phones: over 25% and growing. Manufacturers aren't using those high res displays in small cheap phones, but in flagship models and there isn't a flagship Android phone under 4.7". Even the "free...
I see this all the time at home. We can fire up a browser and attempt to get data before the Mac has made a connection to our AirPort Extreme. I've seen it with a 2007 MacBook, 2010 MacBook Pro and 2011 MacBook Air.   It's counter intuitive, but at work I find that I get an IP address from our Cisco wireless network faster than I get one from Ethernet.
The only real problem with the 17" MBP is the bulk of the thing. It's really awkward and heavy to move from desk to meeting room and back again. The 15" retina knocked 540g off the weight, a 21% reduction. Taking 21% off the weight of the 17" MBP would make it noticeably lighter than the old 15" model. It would still be bulky, but the extra display size is worth it to me.   I find having 1200 vertical pixels to be a huge advantage when running mobile phone simulators. My...
  Many commenters here seem to have a reading comprehension problem. I suggested Apple use the SAME display panel material they're already using in the iPhone 5 and retina iPad. At no point did I mention AMOLED any other display technology.   LCDs can be made in any size you want. The LCD material Apple currently uses for the iPhone 5 could be cut into 5" pieces instead of 4" pieces. Tweak the back lighting a bit and the larger iPhone would have the exact same display...
This.   The new design was clearly rushed to market before it was ready, but that's because they refused to do the easy thing and put Ivy Bridge into the old case in May 2012 when the chips became readily available. Instead Intel delivered new technology and Apple ignored it and their customers for 6 months.   I think Apple has started believing the pundits who expect every product release to offer something revolutionary. Expecting something amazing every year is...
"Still, smartphones with screen sizes of 5 inches and even greater have found noteworthy success in the growing smartphone space. Leading the way in that market has been Samsung's Galaxy Note series, which includes a stylus."   Bull$hit. Leading the way was the Galaxy SIII at 4.8" and now the S4 at 5". The Note series is an interesting niche product compared to the S series.   Cook is full of it when he talks about the poor quality of larger displays. Tim, you...
I've worked in software development for the better part of the last two decades. Anonymizing data is a lot of work. Nobody does it unless they really have to. You know that software that runs your doctor's office? What do you think happens when the office manager starts seeing weird stuff? Tech support asks for a copy of the data so they can try to figure out what's wrong. The data gets passed to developers and testers who treat it like gold. HIPPA rules dictate that all...