or Connect

Posts by Bregalad

Even if Apple has a similar set of data on you it's really an Apples and oranges comparison.   Apple acts as a traditional retailer. You buy from Apple not the app developer. Only Apple sees your personal data.   Google considers itself an intermediary to a transaction between customers and developers. You are buying directly from a developer, but that developer has outsourced payment processing to Google. Both Google and the developer see your personal data.   Apple...
The iPhone 4 series with the glass case probably has a higher material cost than the new iPhone 5 case. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 4S replaced by 4S guts in an iPhone 5 case.   Apple has laid down the law and said they won't be accepting any new apps that don't support the 4" screen resolution so now seems to be the time for them to make that sort of change to the hardware lineup. As a first step simply making a larger iPhone using the same resolution would offer...
  There's a huge difference between having your current location and knowing where you've been every minute of every day since you activated the phone. Do you really want someone following you everywhere you go, recording how long you stay, where you go afterward, what routes you take?   Browser history, likes, dislikes, yeah those are super valuable to marketing people. Unfortunately for the advertisers of the world I see well targeted advertising as a form of digital...
  My choice would be to keep the incredibly successful 4" iPhone and make a 5" one too. For those who've said "if you want big why not go all the way to the iPad mini", try sticking one in your pocket.   Based on what I see downtown I think the target market for large phones is young women. For them a larger size is no problem because they carry the phone in their purse and type with two hands. Those I've talked to in my office would never consider going back to a phone...
Can't imagine anything more scary than a device that tracks you 24/7/365 and sends all that data to Facebook. A device that tracks you 24/7/365 and sends all that data to Google is only slightly less scary yet millions of people have flocked to that platform so maybe this rumour has a chance of being a successful product after all.
What I find most interesting is how screen size is related to usage. Phablets represent only 2% of devices, but 3% of usage. Likewise full size tablets are 7% of devices, but 13% of usage. Both are obviously heavy users. Small tablets, on the other hand, represent 6% of the market, but only 5% of use and 4% of sessions. This seems counterintuitive until you factor in all the small tablets like Kindles that are primarily used for reading books. I also find it interesting...
Can a person's capacitance change over time? Could we see the situation where a phone locks out the owner because his/her capacitance has changed by more than the margin of error in the sensor?
North of the border our small carriers operate on different frequencies than the major players so even if you unlock your iPhone it won't work. Many of the people I work with have moved away from the price gouging of the Canadian 'big three' carriers and had to abandon their iPhones in the process.
It's shocking how much information is being given away willingly by people who obviously don't care about their privacy. Google and the ad networks make billions from this information yet people give it up for free.   Encryption is a red herring. Did you make a secure https connection to AppleInsider? Of course not. Most of what everyone does on the web every day is not encrypted so why should data going to/from a free app be?   Like most others I wonder how they came up...
If you can't see the price tag you aren't the customer, you're the product that's being sold.   Having said that I don't see Facebook's money-making angle on VOIP. Surely they can already tell your "real" friends from your acquaintances and they aren't likely to learn much new by "listening in" on your calls for key words.