or Connect

Posts by Bregalad

I'd wager that it actually costs Apple more to make a 4S than it does to make a 5, but the 5 is saddled with amortizing design costs that the 4S has already paid off. Stick the basic guts of the 4S into the iPhone 5 body, use the less expensive iPod touch 5 camera and not only do you reduce production costs you kill the 30-pin connector at the same time, something I'm sure Apple is eager to do.   I wouldn't be surprised to see an all 4" aluminum cased, Lightning...
If Apple uses this chipset it would make the iPhone compatible with pretty much every carrier in the world. It would hopefully spark increased competition between the carriers as even small regional carriers would be on equal compatibility footing with the big players.   In Canada the iPhone is supported by the "big three", their subsidiaries and Virgin. Pricing and features are nearly identical across the board and most promotional plans exclude the...
  I accept that Android is badly underrepresented in "web stats", but what kind of traffic is counted in those stats? Does the JSON feed powering my favourite sports app get counted as "web traffic"? How about that web app that operates on an obscure custom port? What about instant messaging apps? IMAP/POP email?   I'd really like to know what traffic is being talked about here because a huge chunk of what I do online isn't HTTP and isn't on port 80 or 443.   Unless the...
Are you saying you want to keep using the same Mac Book Air for the next 7 years?   I doubt any computer company wants a customer who only gives them money once every 7 years and expects support for their increasingly obsolete stuff in between. People like that are more trouble than they're worth.     I think this article should have been titled "Microsoft raises Office for Mac 2011 prices - Pushes customers toward alternatives from other vendors".   Office 365 is a dream...
  They aren't behind because they don't offer a 5" screen. They're behind because they don't offer any real choice of screen size. If you want the current model it's 4", take it or leave it. If you're looking at an older model the only choice is 3.5" in a body that's almost as big and actually heavier than the 4" one.   But Android's wealth of choice is a bit of a mirage. Unless you want a phone that's 4.7" or larger there's really nothing but old models and intentionally...
Because, of course, we all want to get paper cuts from holding our tablets ;)
Many of the websites you visit use Google either directly or indirectly as their ad provider so using Google as your ISP will change the advertising you see on many sites. You'll see remarkably well targeted ads linked to your internet history and current location.   Currently many people block or delete cookies. If Google is your ISP they won't need cookies to track you.   I also think it's likely that you'll need a Google ID (and thus all the free Google services) to...
I think the decision to delay the iMac until a full redesign and new screen was available was a huge mistake.   The parts to build an upgraded iMac were available in May 2012 if they'd used the old case design. Less reflective glass has existed for years so they could have improved the glare issue without a re-design.   Even if they just threw Ivy Bridge and USB 3.0 into the old case most iMac customers would have been happy to see updated specs, the drop in sales from...
I totally disregard everything from DigiTimes so here are some facts: - iPhone 5 is selling better than any previous iPhone in the USA - iPhone 4 and 4S are also selling well in the USA - Android has the majority of the smartphone market in almost every other country - Apple continues to earn most of the profits in the mobile phone industry - Samsung is now making big profits - The Galaxy SIII is larger than any iPhone both in physical size and screen resolution - iPhone...
Google is hard to avoid, but not impossible. It's not like they force you to create a Google+ account just to do a search.   I now search using Duck-Duck-Go and use Bing for mapping. I'm finding search results aren't as good, but the order appears to be actual relevancy and not who is paying to be at the top of the list. There aren't any explicitly "sponsored" results either. Bing's bird's eye view is much better than Google's standard overhead imaging.