or Connect

Posts by Bregalad

Small upgrades are just that, small. What I'm seeing on the 6-12 month horizon is much more than the usual. I'm expecting huge performance gains that will get me off the fence and into the Apple Store. As for rubbing gamers noses in anything, you're going to be very disappointed. On the software side Direct X wipes the floor with OpenGL. Games coded for Windows are simply better and faster than those for any other platform. On the hardware side you're up against some huge...
What I think is most frustrating about the Canadian situation is the following list: 1. 3 year contracts 2. system access fees 3. no GSM competition 4. a country with much better plans is right next door Bell, Rogers and Telus have been screwing customers for years without anyone coming along to upset the proverbial apple cart. Now they're being dragged kicking and screaming into a world that expects more from mobile internet than text email. All over the world...
What an amazing move by Apple. They usually keep charging the same price until they refresh the product, a practice that really annoys me because some products only refresh once a year. Apple does a lot of things that annoy me, but at the core are the specs and pricing of their equipment over time. Usually a machine debuts at a fair price, but with a smaller HD and less RAM than bargain PCs. BTO options are ridiculously overpriced, often 3 times the retail price of the...
My computer is in the basement, my stereo in the living room. With AirPort Express I'd have to run down a flight of stairs every time I wanted to select another song. With an iPod hooked up to the stereo I just press a button. Regarding iPhone in Canada you can bet that Rogers won't let you have one without a contract. We live in the only country in the world where 3 year contracts and $7/month system access fees per phone are normal. A $35 couples plan actually costs more...
I agree that from a technical standpoint Apple had to draw the line at some point and drop PPC. I don't think 2009 is the right time because quad G5s were still being sold in August 2006, but we can agree to disagree on that matter. I have two big problems with 10.5.x as the last PPC OS: 1. According to the people at rixstep.com Leopard sucks. Apple made serious under-the-hood mistakes that affect the very foundation of the OS and I know that 10.5.5 or even 10.5.65 won't...
What people seem to be missing here is that dropping PPC now would send a terrible message to the CIOs of the world. Dropping support for a 3 year old computer sets a horrible precedent that essentially tells the corporate world that unless they replace all their computers every 3 years, they risk having Apple pull the rug out from under them. What a terrible message to send at a time when Apple has a real opportunity to get into enterprise. Enterprise standardizes on a...
I think everyone here can agree that had the Mac mini been less "mini" from the beginning it could've offered better performance at a more aggressive price point. Desktop CPU = faster Desktop RAM = faster and less expensive Desktop HD = faster, larger and less expensive Tray loading DVD = faster, compatible with mini DVDs, less expensive Larger case = more efficient, less expensive fans Larger case = no need for that silly external power brick Larger case = less "design"...
I know I'm not "most people", but I replace my HD every year with a bigger, faster one. I spend $100 and I get more capacity, more speed and the peace of mind that comes from new hardware. RAM is very different because RAM is only a good deal when it's being produced in high volume. RAM for yesterday's computers rarely costs less today than it did when the computer is new so it makes sense to load up when you buy the machine.
I, for one, would be terribly disappointed if they didn't. Even though the furious upgrade cycle of the recent past seems to have slowed down (3 year old machines are still in front line use) failure to update regularly and significantly upgrade periodically can bite any company. Apple knows that the notebooks are where they're making all their gains just now so those have to remain the freshest products in the lineup. The MacBook never really did interest me in its...
No it does not Mel. "In 2008" means the calendar year 2008. "By the end of 2008" has a clear end date, but no clear start date. Thus it's important to analyze the rest of the statement. "Apple will have sold 40 million Macs by the end of 2008" means Jan. 24, 1984 - Dec. 31, 2008. "Apple will sell 5 million Macs by the end of 2008", means today until Dec. 31, 2008. Neither means Jan. 1 - Dec. 31 unless today is January 1. I agree with you that Apple has always intended to...