or Connect

Posts by Bregalad

The chin isn't as obtrusive as it was on the white iMacs, but it should still be minimized as should the acres of extra black space around the LCD. Thin bezel is the way to go. Two HD bays and desktop components won't happen because Apple seems to want to stick with lower power parts in an effort to appear "green". Of course the iMac will never be truly green because it has a built-in display. LCD manufacture is horribly polluting and forcing people to get a new LCD every...
Apple's current focus leaves me out and that sucks for both parties: I can't have the Mac I want and Apple can't sell me anything. I seriously doubt Apple will ever make another computer that only "special" customers can buy. Steve learned from the eMac that showing people something they can't have doesn't make them buy other models it just makes them mad.
I expect Macworld will be the debut of the 17" unibody MacBook Pro and the introduction of the Nehalem platform in the Mac Pro and XServe. New software will round out the show.
The Mac Mini has always been overpriced because it's a custom design. If the very first Mini had been a bit larger it could have used the iBook motherboard and thus cost a lot less money to produce. I think the time is right for the Mini to be replaced by a Mac Nano that is a MacBook minus display, keyboard and battery. Production cost would go down, performance would go up and everyone would be happy.
The iMac uses notebook parts (other than its HD) so the only GPU heading to the iMac is a mobile one. If Apple wants to stick with the tradition of using GPUs from both ATI and nVidia that retail for $80-100 in the Windows world, we can expect to see the Radeon 2600 replaced with a Radeon 4650. If Apple chooses to dump ATI this time we're likely to see a base iMac with an integrated 9400M, mid range iMacs with the 9400 and 9600 just like the MacBook Pro, and a high end...
The first generation Mac Pro was introduced in August 2006 and didn't change specs or price until it was replaced in January 2008. That's 17 months. If the iMac is updated this month it would leave Apple with virtually nothing to talk about at Macworld in January. Therefore I suspect they'll use that occasion to introduce the new Mac Pro based on the Nehalem architecture. Intel considers Nehalem one of the most significant advances since the introduction of the Pentium so...
I don't expect this refresh will offer much more than a new chipset and LED backlit displays. The current CPUs already have most of the improvements of the Montevina Penryns so all we're going to see is a bit lower power consumption. Apple should get somewhat better pricing on standard CPUs than they currently get on a special part. It's highly unlikely that Apple will include a quad core processor because of CPU cost and because it would introduce too many comparisons...
I'm disappointed today. I understand how the new environmentally friendly unit has to cost more, but it's disappointing in a world where other brands of laptops have significantly cut prices to see Apple raising prices. Outside the US some of the increases are substantial. A token $100 drop in the old plastic MacBook is really insignificant and in most places outside the US translates to no drop at all. Ditching FireWire from the MB seems to be a clear case of being...
Dude, the 23" Cinema display is way over-priced. Let's do some iMac math because the 24" iMac uses the same type of LCD panel the Cinema display does. 24" iMac = $1799 20" iMac = $1499 The 20" iMac has a lower cost CPU but let's be generous and say the entire $300 is for the display. The 20" iMac has a TN display, the type you can get from Acer or HP for under $200. That places the retail price of a 24" display using the same panel as the iMac at $499. Compare that with...
I'm still having trouble understanding how Apple could remove target disk mode and, in doing so, cripple their migration manager. Buying a new Mac was always a joy because it was so easy to get back up and running with all your applications and files in the correct place. Now what are we supposed to do? I was going to buy my wife a new MacBook for Christmas. You just lost a sale.