or Connect

Posts by Bregalad

When they add USB 3.0 they will most likely add a USB 3.0 connector at the computer end too. This accomplishes three things: 1. Ensures both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt operate at full speed and don't interfere with each other. 2. Limits USB 3.0 to models of Mac that already include it. 3. Uses a cheap USB hub instead of a more expensive Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 converter. There are two downsides: 1. The display would be less attractive to owners of 2011 Macs that have...
  I think I've been misunderstood so I should list my assumptions.   1. The iPad mini will be the mainstream form factor going forward 2. Therefore Apple will offer just one full size iPad model (outside refurbs), a current model iPad mini and a previous model of iPad mini. 3. Release cycles move to 6 months. 4. Normal incremental product improvements after 6 months will arrive at the same price point. 5. Large improvements after just 6 months justify new pricing.   There...
  Apple couldn't release a $299 iPad mini last year without sacrificing margin so the first mini shipped at $329. By the next release date it will have absorbed its design costs and be able to fall to $299.   The $399 price point currently occupied by the iPad 2 is the natural place for the retina iPad mini to slide into.   $299, $399, $499..... I think that was the goal all along.
  My aging eyes might have an easier time trying to use an iPhone with a large 264ppi interface, but I suspect the market for such a zoomed UI is smaller than the market for a higher resolution one, i.e. an iPhone with a 720p, 900x1600 or 1080p display.
  Until recently the only profitable market was premium phones under 4" in size. Apple was right to stick with one model and expand distribution globally.   Then Samsung showed that it's possible to make money in the 4.3-5.5" premium phone market. In response Apple did something truly bizarre. Rather than recognize that one size does not fit all and make two different models of iPhone, they made their top selling small phone slightly bigger and ceded the large phone...
  Every time a file is moved there is a chance, albeit a very small one, that something will go wrong.   Hard drive manufacturers publish unrecoverable error rates for their devices along the lines of "fewer than one in 10^14". That's extremely low, but my iTunes library contains roughly 2x10^12 bits. If I copy it to from one device with with an unrecoverable error rate of 10^14 to a second one with the same error rate then  ignoring everything else that could go wrong...
  Slow response, slow UI updates, clicks registering on the wrong element, swipes misinterpreted as clicks, swipes completely ignored, etc. have been the norm on most platforms for years. There are tens of millions of Android users (pre 4.1) who have never seen their phone keep up with them. Your tolerance for that is low, but the general public seems to be very accepting of hardware/OS combinations that can't keep up.
  The notebook line is certainly where the money is these days, but from an ergonomics standpoint it's hard to find anything worse. If you have to use an external display, external kb and a mouse or trackpad to make the computer ergonomic it's not really portable anymore so you might as well be using a desktop.   As for trying to kill the desktop I disagree. Apple wouldn't have gone to such lengths to redesign the iMac with a new manufacturing method if their goal was to...
He'd better hope Google is "winning" the market share battle because it's the only way Google is going to survive.   Google cannot exist unless they can harvest data and they cannot harvest data unless you use their services. When Apple developed the iPhone Schmidt saw the long term plan would eventually eliminate Google from the equation: apps would replace many searches and some as yet undeveloped in-house Apple technology would replace the rest. Apple would...
I'm surprised at how many people spend a small fortune on a large TV. A good show is still a good show on a 32" screen and a bad one is still a bad one on an 80" screen. Bigger better picture quality won't improve the writing or change the fact that it was shot to look acceptable in 23". If anything a larger screen only amplifies what's wrong with most television programming.   Big sound is even less relevant so, unlike the majority it seems, I actually think a TV...