or Connect

Posts by Bregalad

Can a person's capacitance change over time? Could we see the situation where a phone locks out the owner because his/her capacitance has changed by more than the margin of error in the sensor?
North of the border our small carriers operate on different frequencies than the major players so even if you unlock your iPhone it won't work. Many of the people I work with have moved away from the price gouging of the Canadian 'big three' carriers and had to abandon their iPhones in the process.
It's shocking how much information is being given away willingly by people who obviously don't care about their privacy. Google and the ad networks make billions from this information yet people give it up for free.   Encryption is a red herring. Did you make a secure https connection to AppleInsider? Of course not. Most of what everyone does on the web every day is not encrypted so why should data going to/from a free app be?   Like most others I wonder how they came up...
If you can't see the price tag you aren't the customer, you're the product that's being sold.   Having said that I don't see Facebook's money-making angle on VOIP. Surely they can already tell your "real" friends from your acquaintances and they aren't likely to learn much new by "listening in" on your calls for key words.
  I'd wager that it actually costs Apple more to make a 4S than it does to make a 5, but the 5 is saddled with amortizing design costs that the 4S has already paid off. Stick the basic guts of the 4S into the iPhone 5 body, use the less expensive iPod touch 5 camera and not only do you reduce production costs you kill the 30-pin connector at the same time, something I'm sure Apple is eager to do.   I wouldn't be surprised to see an all 4" aluminum cased, Lightning...
If Apple uses this chipset it would make the iPhone compatible with pretty much every carrier in the world. It would hopefully spark increased competition between the carriers as even small regional carriers would be on equal compatibility footing with the big players.   In Canada the iPhone is supported by the "big three", their subsidiaries and Virgin. Pricing and features are nearly identical across the board and most promotional plans exclude the...
  I accept that Android is badly underrepresented in "web stats", but what kind of traffic is counted in those stats? Does the JSON feed powering my favourite sports app get counted as "web traffic"? How about that web app that operates on an obscure custom port? What about instant messaging apps? IMAP/POP email?   I'd really like to know what traffic is being talked about here because a huge chunk of what I do online isn't HTTP and isn't on port 80 or 443.   Unless the...
Are you saying you want to keep using the same Mac Book Air for the next 7 years?   I doubt any computer company wants a customer who only gives them money once every 7 years and expects support for their increasingly obsolete stuff in between. People like that are more trouble than they're worth.     I think this article should have been titled "Microsoft raises Office for Mac 2011 prices - Pushes customers toward alternatives from other vendors".   Office 365 is a dream...
  They aren't behind because they don't offer a 5" screen. They're behind because they don't offer any real choice of screen size. If you want the current model it's 4", take it or leave it. If you're looking at an older model the only choice is 3.5" in a body that's almost as big and actually heavier than the 4" one.   But Android's wealth of choice is a bit of a mirage. Unless you want a phone that's 4.7" or larger there's really nothing but old models and intentionally...
Because, of course, we all want to get paper cuts from holding our tablets ;)