or Connect

Posts by z3r0

1.875009e+34And if you think servers are limited then your mind is limited. If you hadn't notice Mac Pro's use server class Xeon processors.
 One word: Limited.
 Swapping out/upgrading GPU's, and expansion slots yes. You couldn't swap out CPU cores before but thats why more space is vital, to put in as many as possible. As far as RAM, the more space you have, the more you can fit in (and yes OS X has a limit of how much it can "see", but thats moot when running multiple OS's in VMs - the more the merrier). 
  Why even have the computer in the room? Just run wires through the wall for displays, audio monitors, and have a USB hub for peripherals.
A lot more then you think.
 Without dual redundant power supplies, lights out management, and fibre channel connectivity its a non-starter. Not to mention the racks are non-standard. I'd hate to see the cost associated with replacing racks currently in existence.
 I'm not arguing that its not pro because its not a server. The previous generation wasn't a server either. I was just stating that Apple could have targeted both markets with one expandable design but didn't. For example, if Apple would have designed the new Mac Pro in a way that it could be easily rack mounted and had an option to add dual redundant PSUs along with lights out management (LOM) etc... then it would have broader appeal. This way if you wanted a server you...
Unfortunately its not, but it does run OS X server. A proper server would be the Xserve (hence the old signature with the petition). Apple could have made the Mac Pro a server and workstation to target both markets, but the cylindrical design would need to be thrown out first. On the other hand they decided to target the prosumer with the new Mac Pro and not real Pro's.
 Thats because you sell fondue pots for a living and wouldn't know a thing about enterprise grade rack mount servers. 
 Just because its contains "Pro" in the product name, does not mean its a pro grade product.