or Connect

Posts by tetzel1517

I use a Windows 8 laptop sometimes and I don't mind Metro too much. But what I do mind is that I had to Google how to shut down and restart the damned computer - unbelievably, you have to go into the Settings to do this. It's absurd. There's a semi-hack you can install that lets you create buttons for these things, but why is that even necessary? (Plus, this method creates a button that shuts you down instantly, without asking if you're sure - you're out of luck if you hit...
I'm honestly surprised that RIM deserters are going to iOS over Android. The one thing I hear from people who still cling to their Blackberries is that they can email faster from it than any other device. So you'd think they'd go with the platform that offers phones with physical keyboards - less of a learning curve. It'd be interesting to know what the psychology is there. Perhaps iOS works better with Exchange than Android?
Looks like I picked a good year to be living in Chicago. The odds on that raffle aren't great, but they're a lot better than MegaMillions.
If Apple and Foxconn are only just now negotiating on the iPad 3, how is it going to be released this year, especially if it would have to launch before the holiday shopping season? I don't see how you go from negotiation to production that quickly. It's not just a matter of slapping a different display on the current iPad - Apple always makes little tweaks here and there for even "minor" hardware revisions.
If you'd read the news over the past few years, you'd see many, many reports of unions agreeing to wage freezes and benefit caps because they recognize that these are tough economic times. Will they resist outright cuts? Sure they will - why should Joe Six Pack bear the brunt of mistakes made by Wall Street? In Wisconsin, the public employee unions there had agreed to contribute to health insurance premiums and pension plans. But that wasn't enough for the corporate-backed...
Wow, the kneejerk, ignorant responses in this thread are astounding. Apparently everyone else commenting here lives in a country where companies do no wrong, where workers are never, ever subject to the whims of bosses who may not have much regard for safety or well-being, and where a single employee has the power and leverage to hold management accountable all by himself! I'm not saying that Apple Stores are ripe for unionization - I worked at one for awhile and my...
So the only two ways to interpret this just happen to be ones that prove your point? Apparently, "This proposal asks for a reasonable amount of disclosure on the part of the board in relation to a topic that is of importance to shareholders and relevant to the company's continued success," isn't a valid view to you. But that's my interpretation; I'll admit there could be others. Perhaps even more than two.All shareholder proposals "demand the Board do things their way."...
Several in this thread have raised the idea that this is actually part of some effort to deliberately undermine Apple. Perhaps they didn't use the word "nefarious" but that wasn't my point - I did put "undermine" in quote marks because that word was actually used upthread. The proposal isn't asking for names. It's not asking for disclosures on Jobs' health. It just demands reasonable evidence that the company is prepared in the event Jobs steps down or is unable to...
Many other companies disclose CEO succession plans - Verizon, HP, Comcast, Whole Foods... I could go on. NONE OF THEM are required to name specific candidates. If you read the text of the resolution, you can see if provides the company a ton of wiggle room, but also forces enough action that the company will be prepared in some way if there's a planned or emergency departure by the CEO. It's just making the company tell its shareholders, "Be cool, we got this" (and back up...
The pension fund owns Apple stock, which has shown to be pretty volatile when news comes out concerning the health of Steve Jobs. They probably think a succession plan would stabilize things and protect their investment.