or Connect

Posts by mstone

Understood, however this discussion has wandered into another topic. My original comment was that a 1-pixel image in straight HTML without JS or PHP, etc is useless to do any precise or useful user tracking. The 1-pixel image is no different than serving an ad. You need JS to make it useful to the ad broker.
As far as I know the HTTP cookie cannot be accessed by the server scripting language be it PHP or .Net. If your form data is saved so you can hit the back button, the server should not be able to access that data. Only if you set a browser cookie with Javascript or a server cookie such as in the registry, url, Flash or other methods like HTML5 local data can the server access that data.
How exactly do you set a cookie without Javascript or PHP?
Should not be allowed to cross domain the cookie.
All Facebook pixels are now up to 3X faster. We’ve rewritten a large part of our server response code and used javascript minification so that pixel load times can meet even the most strict customer SLAs.
If there is a previous cookie why bother sending a pixel? Just refresh the cookie.
Please find me a page from a modern high profile website that employs that technique. I would be interested to view the HTML source. I was under the assumption that the 1-pixel technique became obsolete a decade or more ago. Again if you are doing something with the GET request outside of the logs then you are using Javascript which relates back to my original comment to use Ajax to track user behavior into a database. Or, if you are using a scripting platform such as php...
How 1990s. Nobody does that anymore. You would have to parse your logs and then integrate it with your database. People used to use that for page count but it is useless for tracking behavior of the user. It is not cookie based, only IP based which does not take into account mobile users whose IP changes several times a day.
I don't think you'll find any ad of any sort, image or video or even HTML5 and trackers, which is delivered by and ad broker that is not controlled by Javascript, hence, my earlier comment was focused on Javascript. I've written my own ad blockers for some of the sites that I visit often. That way they can't even detect that I have an ad blocker.
Ad blockers don't really block ads, such as jpegs or gifs, they block Javascript/Ajax that are sourced from known ad brokers. Javascript is client side so the ad blocking work is done after the the HTML of the page loads, including the Javascript, then immediately the script is made null by the ad blocker before the actual ad has a chance to download from the ad server. This only works on ads served from a known ad brokers. If I was to write my own ad on my own site and...