or Connect

Posts by mstone

I do have light sensors on the outdoor lighting, but it is very shady and they often come on too early and stay on too late. With the programmable controller that knows when sunrise and sunset are for a given GPS location, it would be more fine tuned. As for the other things, I already have traditional procedures in place to take care of those.
This I still don't understand. How is the iBeacon detecting motion in the baby's room? The inexpensive iBeacon is dumb. It is only sending a BLE identifier. Not to be argumentative, but please link to such an iBeacon or explain how the iBeacon is detecting and communicating back to a central hub. 
I love the diagram in the article. The type on the back of the device is specified to 3.35 pt. Myriad Thin. When I was studying typography, we were taught to never use type smaller than 5 pt. although I have had to use maybe 4.75 pt if the space is really constrained, but really? 3.35 pt.?
Which is an excellent reason not to have iBeacons automatically operate HomeKit devices either. Personally I would rather just turn on the light at the switch. I already know where all the light switches are in my house and any visitor will not be part of the permissions group so iBeacons aren't going to work for them anyway. In my opinion a lot of this home automation talk is just nonsense. Way more complicated than just manually doing things like we have always done. For...
It will be interesting to see how user friendly they can make it. Configuring a complex network of HomeKit devices, iBeacons, permissions, security access, etc., could be difficult for the technically challenged. A lot of average adults can't even get their mail or WiFi set up on their iPhone without the assistance of a more knowledgeable person.
Sure but even so, the iPhone acting as an iBeacon is simply sending an identifier and is not expecting anything sent back to it from the receiving device. This is the common protocol used by iBeacons. All the computing work is being done on the receiving device. It is interesting to speculate on how extended feedback could be achieved but for now the only information I have been able to find is that iBeacon is broadcasting a simple identifier pair, no other content.
So these would be some type of iBeacon other than what has been used by MLB and NFL, which are battery powered? If it is going to have WiFi or an operating system, embedded application, and send content other than the simple identifier, it would probably need to be AC powered. If the additional services are to provide sensors for temperature, humidity, etc., to me it seems that those would be the main features. The iBeacon aspect would be independent and unrelated to the...
So iBeacons can have WiFi and be connected to a network? I did not know that. Do you have any links to these intelegent iBeacons?
 My understanding of iBeacon is that the user needs a dedicated app that is programmed to respond to a certain identifier being broadcast by an iBeacon. The app along with location services can send a push notification to the users phone. This is a one way communication from the iBeacon to the phone. The iPhone does not send any communication back to the iBeacon and the iBeacon is not connected to the Internet or the private network. Now that I think about it though,...
I understand why businesses, sports stadiums or museums use iBeacons to inform users of location based information, but how would one use iBeacons in their home? Wouldn't they need their own app? And why?