or Connect

Posts by mstone

Apple is offering two things with this update. 1) Safari users would have a choice to install ad blocking extensions.  2) Developers can build blocking into an app. It is about choice. Clearly, if the developer is including iAd they are not going to block ads. The big upside is for end users being able to block ads in Mobile Safari. I for one am very happy about this news because I hate wading through dozens of ads on a page like here on AI. One or two ads is no big deal...
No way Apple is going to make the same mistake twice. Not that they did anything wrong in the iBooks deal except make careless statements in emails that left some legal wiggle room for the sleazy attorneys.
Well if she is going to enter in all that other data, she might as well record whether she experienced and orgasm or not. It's all private right? Might as well record the partners name in case she has multiple partners. 
The comedic intro was horrible. There were a couple other lame joke attempts in the presentation but all fell flat in my opinion. Even last year with Steven Colbert wasn't very good. Apple should stay away from comedy.
Because in complied code you don't know what is in there. Look at all the malicious coders that try to slip stuff through the App Store with tricky things like hiding attacks behind time disabled features and other disguised malware. Apple doesn't catch them all. There are ways to detect what Javascript is trying to do, like malicious stuff, which is why Google can detect a malware web page before it loads.A dedicated Swift server is the only way you would be able to run...
Nah. There is nothing wrong with Helvetica Neue 37 Thin, it is a very elegant font, but perhaps a little like drinking fine wine with Cheerios and milk. It was just inappropriate for use with many of the backgrounds and color schemes used in iOS. San Francisco is a definite improvement in my opinion.
Theoretically, you could have 60+ layers with effects and view it in real time without rendering, similar to what was demoed in the keynote. 
Doesn't Metal require dedicated hardware? Which Macs are going to get Metal support?
I learned typography many years ago from some of the masters of Madison Ave. and the unspoken guideline was always 6 pt. not 8 pt, and a common output on Linotype 100 was 1200 dpi compared to 400+- on iPhone. That said there is type, even in Apple native apps, that is close to 4 pt. Way too small.
It is better. Sweating the details is what makes Apple DNA. The Helvetica Thin was just a little too thin and slightly incompatible the other styles they had incorporated into iOS 8. The opacity, blurs and varied backgrounds such as in the weather app made some text difficult to read. Just a small tweak but a welcome one in my opinion.