or Connect

Posts by mstone

Tesla hired Lotus to build the Roadster, both small companies and Lotus has virtually no presence in the US, but Apple would need a large auto manufacturer in the US if they wanted to outsource it because that is where the initial customer base would be for an Apple electric car and they would need to go huge to make it a real success, because there are just so many competitors in the auto business. If it was outsourced to Fiat, that would be Chrysler in the US, but I...
Dick: Have you looked at any HTML5 JS code lately. Thousands of lines of code to do simple animations. Your concern with another 500 characters means absolutely nothing in the realm of modern code examples. Personally, I would rather do things by best industry practices than to try to trim away excess characters with unconventional methods. Industry standards makes code much more maintainable in the long run. I've written some undocumented code that was brilliant and...
The reason to use XML is that it offers maximum flexibility. Your single string example is no good for iterating over multi-dimensional arrays or query results. More complex the data the more inefficient it is to custom create specialized strings for different scenarios. For a proof of concept app, sure a string is very easy but when you are building a complete app with several different functions, employing a standards based communication protocol is much more stable even...
plist, xml and JSON are all used for different purposes and are not necessarily interchangeable in all circumstances. The biggest advantage of XML is not the human readability but instead the ubiquitous compatibility of it. XML parsing is universally supported. Plists are generally used for UNIX-like app configuration parameters when first launched. Not a very good format for data interchange communications. JSON is most useful for request response communication and...
For consumers, I would agree, 4K is not yet practical but for editors it is. For the same reason high megapixel still cameras are. If you are targeting 1080, starting with 4K gives you a lot of creative possibilities with zooming, panning and cropping.
Can an iPhone even record in grayscale? I would assume that they would record in color and then use effects to create the grayscale look. Grayscale is only 8-bit so it is much more advantageous to use all 24 bits to have better shadow detail and dynamic range. In my opinion if you have a high end client like Bentley, you should spare no expense on your equipment. That said, Apple is a pretty high end client too and if they are the ones paying for it to be shot on an...
With Apple it is all about balance, or compromise, depending on your perspective. More RAM uses more battery to keep it powered. They tend to establish a baseline for typical users and then optimize the experience based on that. Perhaps having lots of browser tabs active was not part of the typical user experience, especially if those tabs contain heavy elements like animated ads.
No. the sensor layout has already been superseded by the image processing algorithms in the camera software. Once the device pixels are recorded to the file, it is optimal that the screen output be some evenly divisible by a factor of four or one to one of the original resolution. 
The point is that the colors will shift maybe slightly or significantly when the hardware pixels are interpolated, depending on the scene. 
When you look a a high contrast scenes with certain colors, they can look very unnatural. I notice this a lot when people are wearing blue jeans in the video. The blues are often too bright. Good color is more important than super high resolution.