or Connect

Posts by mstone

iOS has a file system. The user just can't access it. It is a security feature not a convenience feature. iOS hides the file system to help prevent typical dumb users from downloading and executing malware. For highly technical users the lack of access to a file system is more of a hinderance than benefit, but that is the way iOS was designed, to protect people from themselves.
Whatever...Why talk about replacing laptops? Sure a scooter can replace a car as a mode of transportation...unless it is raining or freezing or you have two more passengers. Am I not allowed to own a truck and a car? iPad is cool, but it just doesn't do what I need much of the time. Everyone has different preferences and requirements. It is not an either/or situation. There is room for many types of computing devices.
That's fine for speed, keeps you from speeding, but if the odometer was off, there would be tons of complaints. Either people renting a car or reselling their car with more miles than they actually drove or people contracting their own car and getting paid by the mile would be out money if it was under reported. Edit: I've just read now that there are instances of inaccurate odometers.  Edit2: The worst case I could find online was a 2006 Ford explorer at 3% over.
So about a third of the Mac install base uses Safari. Seems odd. I've had a few sites where Safari did not work as well as Chrome, but I generally use Safari first. Some sites use a lot of Javascript, which is where the incompatibilities usually start. Platforms such as jQuery are really good about testing for all different browsers but some lazy coders who use Chrome only test against their own preferred browser.
I have to say that every car I've owned in the last 20 years has been pretty much dead on with respect to the odometer. I test it on the freeway mile markers. It is affected by your tires though. As long as you have factory tires it should be extremely accurate. I have never compared the mph against a GPS.
The trip computer can't be that far off. The variance of the mpg is driving conditions. When they test the mpg at the factory they do it under ideal conditions with the best possible fuel. You would be hard pressed to ever achieve those same results under normal driving conditions.
NSA and GCHQ already collect a lot of information from leaky apps like Angry Birds that send tons of personal info. In order to do that they have to be the man in the middle, meaning that they have access to the data during transmission. They can listen over the airwaves to a cell tower or they may have data centers and back bone carriers cooperation. They also have tools that can read cookies in a browser even though they are not supposed to be able to read other domain's...
I'm saying it is the fault of the OS.If the text is close to the top it can be very difficult to select or drop the cursor, for example trying to edit the To: Address. And don't get me started on handling images within the email. There is no way to scale or reduce the size unless you started the email from the Photos app. And even then you can only choose small medium or large, but you have no idea what the email is going to look like because as soon as you select one of...
Perhaps a little off on a tangent, but I was replying to a comment about Macs and what I wrote could apply to a 15" MBP as well. which is what I would work on if traveling. Honestly, I find my iPad extremely frustrating to try to do any writing, editing, coding, or graphics. Even simply using email can be aggravating when you can't drop the cursor where you need to. There are no arrow keys and it is hard to get between two characters, so you end up having to retype the...
Macs run Windows too. I hate RDP. It is somethings glitchy and slow and you still need two computers. Why don't you just use a Display Port or HDMI and hook up the Surface to an external monitor? Personally I don't do any work once I leave the office and I would much rather sync my documents to the cloud. That way I always have a backup. If everything is on the notebook, you take a risk for data loss. When I go on the road it is for a long time not just a day or two. I...