or Connect

Posts by mstone

I was thinking the same thing. The turned in phones are going to be resold somewhere which is indicative of the fact that some people are willing to use older hardware if it saves them money.
Maybe some phones but not iPhones. That is why you see such attention to the case design and materials. People will continue to pay for quality and luxury. Almost all Android phones are already a commodity.
That is one way to look at it, but turning it in every year means you are making monthly payments forever. I suppose iPhones are much more important to people than iPads are, but clearly people are getting along just fine on 3-4 year old iPads.
I think we will start to see people keeping their iPhones longer, (in the US at least), now that the subsidies are gone. The current iPhones are fantastic and should last a long time, so is there really a need to upgrade every two years going forward? There is Apple Care + which is limited to two years, so that could be a determining factor, but what percentage of users actually purchase Apple Care +. I always do, but I take really good care of my phones. I did have one...
I'm rather surprised at these figures. I have an iPad 3 at 10% and a mini 1 at 18%. Looks like almost everyone who was in the market for an iPad bought in by the time iPad Air was released. The single digit percentages for the newer models is shocking. 
Using the iPad Pro flat on the table drawing with the Pencil or propped up with the Smart Cover makes sense, but holding it as pictured is very quickly going to cause fatigue, cramped hands and other symptoms due to poor ergonomics. The device is too big to be used like that. I have an iPad 3 and it gets uncomfortable after a few minutes. Even though the 3 weighs more than an Air, it is lighter than the Pro.
No, just someone who owns an iPhone 6 and has little interest in upgrading even though I can easily afford to. I am imagining those with less disposable income having even less motivation to upgrade. The 6 does everything I need and more.
A few vocal Android geeks are focused on specs and openness, but the vast majority of Android users are all about cheap. Sure, you could make a 16 core, 8 GB phone but you would have to charge $1000 for it so it would only sell to a couple of serious Android fanatics. Totally not worth it. At this point Android OEMs are mostly focused on selling billions of super cheap phones to India and China.
So what is the net effect of the malware? Do users even notice their device is infected?
Looks like smartphones are approaching a technological plateau. At this point they have reached a level where we really don't need a new one unless the one we have breaks down. Until the next major breakthrough, something like teleportation or mental telepathy /joking/, they are going to be like the the history of the automobile industry - only minor incremental improvements for decades waiting for flying cars. The form and function of smartphones are pretty much defined...