or Connect

Posts by mstone

Well we know it is not on a discrete chip or it would have been discovered by iFixit and software encode/decode in realtime would be too slow, especially for FaceTime, which needs to be near instantaneous. I really don't think there is any other possibility to SOC.
Anandtech believes it is on the SOC. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8554/the-iphone-6-review/2
Apparently A8 has H.265 in the SOC so the new TV theoretically could decode H.265 if it was enabled in software. On iPhone 6, Apple uses H.265 only for FaceTime which seems weird. It can't play an H.265 video in iTunes. Perhaps it has something to do with licensing.
Helvetica Neue does not have any Arabic glyphs and only has Japanese and Korean for Asian languages. No Chinese as far as I know. Who knows what Apple will do in regard to foreign fonts?
Adobe owns Helvetica Neue and you can license it, but not for use on the web using @font-face because it is not part of TypeKit. By creating a similar font, Apple can now make all of their OS, apps, packaging and web presence consistent. San Francisco has 9 font weights so it should be as versatile as Helvetica Neue.
What they really need is wider coverage and a more robust backhaul. My signal is weak at home and the office which makes it feel throttled all the time.   The original design of cellular networks was to have many triangulated towers so that you would always have a strong signal, but with permitting issues and expenses they just settled for a tower every 20 miles or so along the interstates, hence, during rush hour all the towers are congested. 
It is a little different probably, especially since the issue with 16GB phones not having enough space. Now the OTA uses sequential, smaller packages instead of one big package, hence more opportunity for failed connection to the server during peak demand. Also the iOS device has much less RAM to work with. In some cases the desktop is wired to Ethernet which would be even better, taking WiFi out of the equation. Also I would imagine backing up locally is much faster than...
Ad blockers look for services and patterns in AJAX. If I were to use php to dynamically generate the content it would be static html and the ad blocker would ignore it. Doing that is complicated and would require close cooperation between the site and the advertising aggregators to move the functionality to a local proxy server with a php application, instead of just naming a div a particular name and putting one get call in a line of JS.
It will be interesting to see how this pans out. What they are actually blocking is the advertising aggregator from third party servers which use Javascript. I doubt it will take long for big sites with lots of ads to figure out a way to use a same domain proxy with server side scripting to make the ads appear to be just regular content. In fact I'm sort of surprised they haven't done this already with desktop ad blockers.
I don't know either. Even if it is not technically illegal, it could be a perception that they might want to avoid. I tried to give my local police station a dozen or so coffee cards as appreciation for watching my home for a couple months while I was away and they refused to accept them. They have a free program where retired cops drive by your house a few times a day to check the property. They really inspect it too, front and back and sign off on a report, not just a...