or Connect

Posts by mstone

There's a couple of issues that we haven't seen any speculation on.   1) If the car doesn't support proximity ignition/doors how can Watch interact?   2) How does the Watch handle multiple cars?   3) If the Watch can open cars, why can't the much more capable iPhone?   4) will the watch have the normal long range wireless lock/unlock/panic feature?
This train went off the rails about eight pages ago.
I wouldn't do it either because I never know when out of the blue a client wants to give me a big contract and we need to talk about it over lunch, where we go there is only valet parking. Or, the tire pressure indicator lights up and I need to swing by the dealer to have it looked at. Surprisingly, this happens a couple times a year as the seasons change. I wouldn't want to have to give them my watch to drive it into the garage. Having to plan ahead when you might need...
On some new cars having your fob in your pocket standing close to the car allows you to just reach for the door handle and the doors unlock. Same with the ignition. Just sitting in the drivers seat with all doors closed will allow you to press the start/stop engine button with the fob still in your pocket. Lastly when leaving you simply touch the designated spot on the door handle and all doors lock.
 Just a coincidence in this case. I'm not great in any capacity.
Yes that is an excellent point which I was just about to write.
I'm sorry, I don't want to sound rude, but this makes absolutely no sense to me. How will an Apple watch interface with the car's door lock and ignition if there is no onboard functionality to support it? If the car does not support keyless ignition, an Apple watch is not going to create that capability on its own. If anything I think this feature will be like CarPlay. It will only work on new cars that support it.
Yep, this is definitely coming with HomeKit. I wish I could use it but my doors are too custom and already have expensive locks. I normally enter through the garage anyway which of course has a button in the car so no keys needed. On my new house I am putting in everything HomeKit.
I don't think either the customers or the car companies feel as strongly about a watch replacing their key fob. There is no problem that it is solving like Pay which helps stop fraud and identity theft. An Apple watch unlocking your car is absolutely no better solution than my BMW already has. I have my fob in my pocket and I never have to take it out even to start the engine and drive. It also locks by the touch of my finger on the door handle.
 I've decided that there are 3 groups of people who are ambivalent about the Watch 1) Those who don't need or care about wristwatches 2) Those who already have and wear an expensive wristwatch 3) Those who aren't particularly impressed by the design but happy if Apple has success with it