or Connect

Posts by Blah64

The guy who wrote that article (sure hope it wasn't you, with your very first post, hmmm) is so clueless it's not funny.  How the hell did he get a job in journalism?! There's no "war with walmart", there's a push to do something beneficial for the consumer.  For the consumer, pay is:- safer- faster- more private Who gives a shit what walmart wants, besides walmart??   At the end of the day, walmart isn't the final arbiter of where this will end up, consumers are....
 Do you use loyalty (tracking) cards for discounts?  Do you use credit/debit cards normally? I'm not accusing you of doing so, but most people I run across that say they care about privacy engage in behavior that's quite privacy-invasive, though they don't think about it that way.  Or rather, it's usually that they don't understand that it is.
I'm really, really happy that this is getting people's attention, and making people think about data security with their financial transactions, but I'm also a little concerned that choosing a better method of payment (pay) will make people feel like retailers will not be able to mine their purchases and personal data.   Understand that when you use ANY credit/debit card, banks are part of that transaction, and they can and do give (sell?) your personal information back...
 A very quick dig turned up these: http://cybersecurity.mit.edu/2012/10/google-wallet-overview-threats-and-security-measures/ http://www.itworld.com/article/2732355/mobile/even-after-rewrites--google-wallet-retains-gaping-security-holes--mainly-due-to-android.html Wow, not good.  Yes, these are old articles, but it's no wonder Wallet never gained a lot of traction.  Android phones are inherently insecure in any case, due to the ability of the manufacturers and carriers to...
 LOL!!!!
 Yeah, with this model I'm surprised that ANYONE signed up for it.  I've read elsewhere that this is how it works, though I haven't diligently verified.  But if true, all I can guess is that most people using it have no idea how it actually works, or they wouldn't have signed up. I think it would be fantastic if this pushed people to use cash more often.  It's refreshing to do business in a way where you're not whoring yourself out to commercial interests.  pay is nice...
 I doubt it was a matter of marketing.   Many of us (most?) have no interest in google watching our everyday financial transactions on top of everything else they watch and analyze.  
 ^ This. ^ There's a very good chance the retailers will kill this before it goes live.  There is a firestorm brewing out here, and it's aimed right at MCX.  Retailers might not have been smart enough to see this coming in advance, but they're not stupid.  They can't help but see how this is going, and there's really no way to right the ship at this point.  The CurrentC system might possibly have been able to get some traction prior to pay, but the odds of that happening...
 You might think you have fraud protection, but it's at the whim of your issuer.  Credit card fraud protection is guaranteed by federal law.  Debit card protection is only in place by contract, and the terms of those contracts can typically change at any time.  I also believe that not all debit cards even provide contractual protection, in which case you would be totally liable for every dollar spent -- in other words, if you were foolish enough to keep $100k in your...
 Perhaps my favorite quote in this already great thread.  I've been saying this for years, but I'm not sure I've seen it here before.  Nice.