or Connect

Posts by Blah64

@dhowdenI'm all about ownership of my data, including music/videos, so this sounded very cool, got my interest. Then I read this:Which means it's not something I will even consider installing, let alone assisting with development.I made the mistake of installing Chrome once, quite some time ago, for the purposes of compatibility testing. Never again. It installed all kinds of crap buried in my system, and was a huge pain in the ass to remove. I hope it's better now,...
I understand the rules and the laws very well. They do not reflect the current real world scenarios.1) It's trivial for kids to lie about their age and create gmail accounts. If you know any middle schoolers, just go sit in a room full of them and ask how many 6th/7th graders use gmail. I guarantee that in most groups you'll find >50%, and it's high even among older elementary students. Kids have no clue about what they're opting into. Hell, most adults don't, you can...
Would you mind telling me what school district/city you're in? PM me, if you'd rather not post publicly.I'm very much interested in these issues, and am active in our city/district, pushing for policy decisions like this. So often, people are attracted to shiny objects like this without considering the full ramifications; in this case, the fact that our children are being relentlessly data mined behind the scenes. Here's a great article for anyone who has kids: ...
Any chance these will get transcribed and posted as combo-articles? I have no interest in the slow, inefficient and extremely linear process of listening to a podcast. Reading/skimming articles is fast and quiet. I see the value of podcasts for people who have to commute, or are otherwise unable to read the articles directly, and if the podcasts are just audio rehashes of existing articles, then certainly no need to go from one medium to another and back again. But a...
Ha, with a URL like that, I guess I could have almost stumbled across it, thanks.I am a little troubled by the "Simply sign in with your AppleID", however. Does that mean working in a lab environment with a secure, isolated network (i.e. no live connections to Apple), that we still will not be able to put an app on our own iOS devices?It's hard to know how this works without detailed specifics.
This is fantastic news! The restrictions against quickly coding something up and putting on your own device have been a thorn in my rear for many years.Do you have a handy link that details out the new policy?
I was wondering if you'd step in to comment.The obvious point being that ALL companies act with their own self interests in mind, and that's certainly true to a great extent. However, there are many companies in this world that still make money "the old fashioned way", by selling a product or service in exchange for a simple payment. Without all the behind-the-scenes data mining bullshit. In fact, I'd argue that across the world, most companies are still like that,...
Only if you don't follow this sort of thing. There are many instances of corporations with personal data acting against the best interests of their customers.I'm sure you can find many if you look. Here's a particularly egregious one:http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/marketplacek12/2014/05/ftc_acts_to_protect_student_data_in_proposed_ed-tech_bankruptcy_sale.html
Totally agree, and one thing you'll find is that privacy issues in general often don't have as many people's attention as we might think or hope. So many people have fallen into the traps of convenience, cool gadgets and lack of understanding of what's really happening in the back end of all the services they use, that they've lost the ability to even think about what privacy means anymore. This is especially true for many parents who don't even seem to care or...
RadarTheKat, how are you playing this quarter's earnings report? I ask because I seem to remember you played the volatility angle last quarter and did well, and it seems to be shaping up similarly, no? Bloomberg reports: A Chicago Board Options Exchange volatility gauge for Apple shares has jumped 42 percent since a low in March, while a measure of Nasdaq 100 swings has fallen 2.3 percent. The Apple VIX closed at 2.4 times the level of the Nasdaq 100 VIX last week, the...