or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Bingo! This is why I stuck with analog cable for as long as possible. Long after they badgered, cajoled and attempted to bribe us out. We stuck it out until they killed it.As you say, the digital STBs keep track of everything you're doing on your TV, what you're watching, what you search for, what times you watch TV, everything. If everyone understood this there would be a lot more pushback and/or push for transparency/disclosure of exactly what data is gathered and...
I beg to differ. See this document:http://www.seattleschools.org/modules/groups/homepagefiles/cms/1583136/File/Departmental%20Content/school%20board/14-15%20agendas/101514agenda/20141015_Computers_Recommendation.pdfI'll quote the section where they document the reasons for NOT choosing chromebooks:You can take what you want from this, but clearly there are issues with using these devices in a managed environment. What really concerns me, and I'd love to see more...
Definitely true, and definitely a reason that "under-13" laws need to be more strictly enforced than they are now (unlike Zfuckerberg's warped ideas:http://fortune.com/2011/05/20/zuckerberg-kids-under-13-should-be-allowed-on-facebook/).Though his sister may have different views:http://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2013/oct/22/mark-zuckerberg-randi-children-book-facebookA big question is: which direction are things headed in the future.Teens and 20s are slowly...
FFS, it's not a "public perception" problem, the problem is that most people really don't want others around them to have an internet-connected (video) camera in their face the entire time they're hanging out. Hiding the camera would be a complete douchebag move. Oh wait, you're talking about google.Glass without a camera would be another direction they could go. Access to the internet without even taking a device out of your pocket. Heck, I'd even have potential...
Totally agree on not wanting to use iCloud. I don't want any of my personal stuff like photos sitting in the cloud. Foolish stuff.Separately from personal preferences, back to a factual/objective question:Assuming that one does not (will not) use iCloud for anything (no account, no appleID, etc), is this strictly a step down in functionality? In other words, assume that I never want to do any hosting/sharing/publishing of my personal photos online, how does this new app...
Sound eerily familiar. Just like home. Including the comic book collection, though I haven't liquidated much of anything. My comic collection is serious enough that the valuable stuff sits in safe deposit.I also have pre-release versions of the Inside Macintosh developer guides. I suppose they would be valuable to a collector of such things, but I'm not really interested in parting with them yet.I have really cool Apple promotional materials from all through the 1980s,...
hahaha. That's great. Well, it's not really great, but you know what I mean!
Notice that, yet again, google doesn't say anything about not datamining personal data, only that they won't show ads. As far as I can tell from every official google response, the datamining is still happening. From kids, teachers, parents, it doesn't matter.How is it that school district administrators can't read and comprehend this?
Laws like this are asinine, of course. But there's a lesson to be learned here as well, which is that there is no such thing as secret or private when you use public social networks. Both kids and adults use these services under the mistaken assumption that they are a way to communicate privately with friends and family, but they most definitely are not. Of course this is just as true with email datamining services as well, but that's another story. Until adults figure...
I know this is going to sound Jobs-ian, but if it demanded your constant attention, then you weren't using it right. Or you didn't take time to train it.The way I use it, I prefer to have control all the time, but everyone should be able to simply refuse outbound net connections initiated by the apps without your action. Always. If you really want to check for an update, disable it for a minute. The problem is that these days so many apps phone home without your...