or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Purchased songs can be sync'd from a computer to 5 devices, but what about email, contacts, calendar, etc.? Storing song purchases in the cloud is one thing, but the other stuff contains personal data, and any health-related hardware will contain very personal data. Personal enough that there are federal laws about how that data can and cannot be used.Many people have concerns these days about the confidentiality of health-related data, even if they are over-sharing in...
This is exactly right - especially with medical/health data. The real solution is to allow people to store this on their own computer at home. Unfortunately, I don't see Apple making that easy to do out-of-the-box.
Dude, that was the first day they announced the service! Still, glad to hear you've seen the light. I don't understand why people (anyone) thinks it's okay to communicate through a system like that.BINGO! This is the problem that most people just don't get. Even if your friend makes a conscious (foolish) decision to allow google to peer into their deepest thoughts, they don't get to make that decision for others, and yet google has publicly stated that anyone who has...
I read a few other related articles, but not this one, thanks.My favorite line:“This is just an announcement to try to stem parent anger,” he said. “What is going to happen with the data that has already been collected?”Followed by: A Google spokeswoman said Wednesday that executives would not comment beyond Bout’s short blog post.Weasels.Kids' data is being strongly targeted by many "education-related" organizations now. They need legal protection, and while I'm not sure...
I'm on a real keyboard, but I need to dial it back a bit too. It's too easy to get too deep; it's obviously a topic I'm passionate about - I truly despise virtually anything to do with tracking and profiling, of any kind. Beacons are just a small part of this, but when Apple makes a change that I think is unnecessarily less-than-transparent, it sticks in my craw a bit. I just expect better from them.Briefly,1) If that's true, at least it's better than no limits. Maybe....
You're totally right, of course, and hey, I'm totally on board. Google should not be allowed to provide services to kids (anywhere!), without verifiable parental sign-off.My question was: how the heck was a school allowed to sign up all their elementary aged students for google services? Are the laws that different in Canada that they don't even attempt to protect kids? Or did the school act illegally, in which case someone should complain.Related question: since google...
I fully understand the general scheme of how beacons work (though that was actually a very good description on your part, perhaps the most concise that I've read, but I'm also not a fan of any location-tracking tech, so I admittedly have not read a lot).What I'm talking about here that you're apparently not getting, is that afaik there is no protection against impersonating Beacon IDs. That's what I think/thought you were referring to with the hash, so I'm just echoing...
You described the problem earlier as not having "a hash to verify the authenticity of the iBeacon node". So when you say now that "those beacon IDs still need to match up to an installed app" it seems like you're contradicting yourself. (?)Regardless, this is just a distraction -- I agreed with you that this could be a problem, and we're quibbling about silly stuff like whether it might be "huge" or not. Since I think it's a fixable problem, I think the debate is...
Are the laws completely different in Canada than in the U.S. regarding kids' use of online services?As far as I know, Google doesn't allow kids under 13 to use services like gmail and google docs due to federal COPPA laws. Because there is no option to use gmail, google docs, etc. without allowing them to create their world-famous, amazingly detailed psychological profiles of you as a user (product), they don't allow kids to use said services without parental sign off. ...