or Connect

Posts by Blah64

It's interesting that you bring up Facebook. The stats I've seen show that most people are NOT happy with them, and they do NOT trust the company with their data. People continue to use their service because they feel they have no choice. Honestly, facebook has a pretty strong hold on the market, with the "network effect" being unbelievably strong, due to their size. And they're still growing, for now. At least internationally.I've done some research of my own, via...
The facebook situation is different because every single user has opted into their system. I'm only mildly sympathetic.The gmail (and y-mail, I presume?) situation is vile because they are gathering data about people who have never agreed to any kind of google/yahoo ToS. That's why I think this case might possibly have legs. But remember, I said possibly, not likely!
I doubt much of this would be discussed publicly, if they were smart.I did know about the Facebook relationship (nasty), I did not know about the Apple relationship. A quick 2-searches just now only showed them providing map data, which isn't personal, and I imagine they'd sell to any and all online companies. Is there more than that with Apple?
Good points, and I sympathize (a little) with them as well, as far as fraud.The thing is, the amount on the card is solid, and would easily be checked, just like a debit card, before letting a transaction go through, so I don't believe that's a problem. All too many people who live paycheck-to-paycheck don't keep much in the way of funds available to their debit cards, so I'm not sure this makes sense as a reason to disallow prepaids.The fully anonymous prepaid cards work...
Mel, I'm shocked and disappointed in this comment. I respect you a lot, and I know you're a smart, worldly guy. If there was one person here on this board that I'd want to meet in person it would be you (though we're on opposite coasts). So to see you paraphrase the old "If you're not doing something wrong, you shouldn't have anything to hide" spiel is really sad. That concept has been attacked and beaten down ad nauseam in recent years, and it's just BS. Humanity has...
As konqerror stated above, it takes more effort than just not entering proper information on those loyalty/tracking cards to not have all your purchases tracked and analyzed. If you've taken all the other steps, including using only cash every single time then congrats! Otherwise, you probably spent effort for nothing.
You said "it's not an issue for you", but it is an issue because I now pay higher prices because of other people's behavior. I can avoid behavioral profiling, but it's not easy and it's not free. Some stores are so obnoxious about it that I just don't shop at them any longer.I went back and re-read the article, word by word, and I don't see that, only innuendo weaving around the general topic of different types of cards. This part vaguely implies no support for...
It's not an Apple Pay problem, it's the entire track-everything-you-do-from-birth-to-death problem. Yes, it is an issue for me, because as soon as (especially grocery) stores realized that so many people would sell themselves without giving it a second thought, they rarely have sales where people can participate without joining the world of behavior profiling. That means I pay higher prices.Thanks for the link, but it's not good news.(my bold, I didn't see a publish date...
Never said they're perfect! That said, they're entire business model depends on having psychological profiles of all their users. It's their bread and butter. Most people don't use that terminology, but that's clearly what they have. It's based on searches, emails, analytics, and dozens of other trackers that are embedded in almost everything people look at when they're online. Some level of that is what people (consciously or ignorantly) opt into, but there is a very...
It's really sad that tracking cards ("loyalty" bullshit) will make their way more and more into Apple Pay. The whole concept is disgusting; selling your purchasing habits (essentially over your entire lifetime) to commercial, unregulated companies. In that light... Does anyone know if you can attach a pre-pay card to Apple Pay? This is very interesting to me, and may determine whether an imminent purchase will be a new, 6th gen iPod Touch or a used iPhone 5s.