or Connect

Posts by Blah64

I'll handle this.  As we've discussed before, here's a full and complete list of all the real, personal data Apple requires to purchase their devices and buy apps from their App Store.   #1) Uh, actually there is no #1.   Apple requires absolutely no real, personal data to use their devices and purchase and enjoy apps.  All you need to do is not use a credit card to purchase your device (just use cash or you can always buy from craigslist), then buy iTunes gift cards....
  Great post, the last paragraph in particular, and this is what I've told many people in recent years (those that aren't so closed-minded that they won't listen):  NO company or organization anywhere should have the breadth and depth of data that Google has on citizens around the world.  Even if their intent and past-records were sparklingly clean (and they're not anymore), it's just too dangerous, and it's only getting worse.     I'm glad more people are finally...
  So how do you deal with email in general?  Do you use a free email service like gmail/hotmail/whatevermail?  I presume not.   I'd guess that you use private ISP-based email, or perhaps even host your own, from what you're saying here.  But the next level problem, of course, is that other people use those services and email stuff to you.  Which gives google, yahoo, microsoft information about YOU and your social graph and your interests, etc., indirectly, and without...
    Ireland is right to worry about use of email address, but consumers have a bit more power with that side than location.  On the downside, if you use one email address, or just a couple, then it's possible for many, many companies to use that in an invasive way, tracking much of what you do/see/visit online.  It can also tie your online and offline worlds together when you give an email address to retailers, and large surveillance companies like facebook and google...
  This is a great personal story, thanks for sharing.     Most of us are basically anonymous here (some more than others, heh), but it also feels like a weird, dysfunctional family as well, where many of us "know" each other.  After years of reading/writing (mostly reading, in my case), I'm sure most of us have learned about/created interesting personalities for the other active members.  I don't recall ever hearing the story above before, but it bumps my impression of...
  Great post.  Short, relevant, and highlights an extremely important aspect of what's happened in mobile over the past few years.  Perhaps THE most important aspect.
  I always wonder when people say they value their privacy if they really, truly do, or if they've just found one particular thing that annoys them.   Do you use Facebook?  How about Google?  I mean any of their services, search, gmail, anything.  Do you use filtering software (like various ad-blockers or Little Snitch) to block the all the google ads and analytics on probably 80% of sites?   Do you use Survellance Cards (whoops, I mean credit/debit cards) for day-to-day...
  There is, it's called: Firewall IP   Of course you need to jailbreak, since Apple doesn't want users in control of network traffic.
  Well where there's a will to tax, there's a way, and in at least some states it's not likely to work out even as "nicely" as you suggest above.  The talk is of moving to a "mileage tax", where electric cars pay tax based on how many miles you drive.  http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/01/03/237258/oregon-lawmakers-propose-mileage-tax-on-fuel-efficient-vehicles   In Texas, Washington and Oregon (among other states), they would like to implement this by installing a...
  Hahahahaha!   QFT