or Connect

Posts by Blah64

I'm very happy to hear that I'm not the only one who does this.  Actually, I know I'm not the only one, but the fact that among only the AI readers that are paying attention to this thread there's someone else, kind of implies that this is on more people's minds than I'd thought.     Without divulging details, do you know why your friend has these concerns?  If he or loved ones have been stalked or seriously threatened, even putting all his contact information together...
  Yes, this is a good point, especially with kids.  Er, I mean teens and twenty-somethings.  It's also a concern with friends that might do something mean out of spite in a heated moment because even if they change their mind soon after, because nothing ever truly disappears from the interwebs.  Some of it may depend on reasons for keeping personal information offline and out of the hands of personal profiling companies.  For those who have been stalked/threatened, one...
  #1) They're Proven Liars.   This doesn't happen accidentally.  The developers have to make very specific calls to access this personal data and they need to explicitly send it back to the company, and they clearly lied about what their app did.       #2) They're Idiots.     Anyone with even a tiny brain knows better than to create an account for kids 12 and under when they tell you their freakin' age!       #3) They place their own needs above their users' privacy....
  I find it ironic, in a funny way, to compare my snide response with your snide response about snide responses.  Heh.   Frankly, I wasn't reading it as sarcasm or anything in particular, I just responded quickly, with the main point being that there are very different attitudes these days about giving out phone numbers.  Look how many other people in this thread (that aren't necessarily privacy advocates, as I am), said "no way".  That heartens me.  Given that for many...
  re 3: Do you honestly think people aren't signing up because they don't want to pay a few more cents for 2 text messages?  Wow, you're either incredibly cheap or you think other people are.  The truth is, people are not going to give this upstart company their phone number because they don't want them to have their phone number, duh!     Seriously, this product looks like it has some great features, and I guess I'm not half as cheap as you are, because if they charged...
  It's amazing that there are still people as naive (or perhaps you're purposely trying to mislead?) as you appear to be.   Companies like Google, Facebook and a whole bunch of their ilk are exactly and specifically interested in the content of every single email you send and receive.  That is their business.  Their entire freakin' business model is based on not only knowing the content of all of your emails (and searches, etc.), but abstracting that content in very...
Lest anyone think biometrics are "safe".  Read this article at news.com.au:   Theft of Fingerprints Easier than Cutting Off a Finger, Security Experts Warn   Of course there's always the cut off your finger method as well.   People need to stop and think about this: - when your password is compromised, you can make a new one in 5 minutes. - what do you do when your fingerprint is compromised?     There's no alternative except returning to passwords,...
  Numbered above to reply:   1) It may be cool tech, but scary/creepy.   I cannot believe there isn't one single response so far that even considers the fact that having your fingerprints in a mobile device is extremely creepy from a privacy standpoint.  Fingerprints are used to track criminals, not "regular" folks, egads.   2) This is the only thing I've seen in all 61 posts so far that even hints at the biggest problem.  For that, you get props.   Everyone, listen: you,...
  I'm in general agreement with you on the overall philosophy.  I'm not interested in an Apple TV in its current state (except possibly if it was jailbroken and used merely as part of a convenient conduit to send media I own to the big screen from other devices that I own).  The thing is, people need to not think of it as a device, but as part of a service.  Just like the Kindle Fire, which isn't really a tablet you own as much as it's a conduit to purchase and use Amazon...