or Connect

Posts by Blah64

It's an interesting point about third world countries with little access to online services. It makes me wonder if there's a natural path for cultures to go through, or whether they will learn from our mistakes as "leaders" in digital technology. Will they necessarily follow a path where all the early users go "Woo Hoo! We can put anything we want online!" and overshare more and more and more until they finally realize they've been taken for fools by big data mining and...
Unethical vs. Illegal: I agree that there is a big difference, and perhaps we can even agree that while acting within the confines of the law, they are acting unethical. I have a big problem with that, and it bothers me to no end that so many people ignore it. Beyond that, from a legal standpoint, google and their ilk are almost completely unregulated. They can change their policies at any time and people are stuck/screwed. They will keep their treasure troves of data...
Back on topic, I have at least 3 big problems with this product. 1) To jump onboard with a couple other folks here, I don't believe in data mining, especially for kids, and holy crap, now babies?!. As talented as many google employees are, they cannot guarantee that this data will be secure. Not now, and certainly not forever. They've already had their security broken by our government and by at least one foreign government. The amount of personal data they have is...
No I would not! How wedded to the disease of being "marketed to" are people these days anyway?You are misunderstanding (or at least misusing) terminology (above). I'm perfectly fine with targeted advertising. It merely requires knowing what kind of site I'm visiting, and displaying reasonably relevant ads to that content. It's been around for at least 50-60 years, probably longer. Nothing wrong with it, other than it can be annoying.I'm NOT fine with personally...
My heart goes out to you in a huge, huge way. I too know parents who have had really difficult decisions regarding kids who have no chance of getting "better". I won't get into personal stuff on a public site like this, but I understand firsthand some of the feelings you went through - though not nearly at the level and duration you did. RIP little one.
This was a fascinating post.Everything in this first paragraph I completely agree with. It's analysis, and at least IMO your analysis is generally quite good.But your conclusion is a complete 180 from mine! Of course, the next part is opinion, not analysis, and it's understandable that people have different opinions. Still, it was almost humorous to me to see just how opposite your conclusion was from mine.I would much rather someone at an open WiFi see what I'm posting...
It's good to get people thinking about this, but if people don't understand that this is only one part of the problem, then the unintended consequence of (unqualified) advice like this can be that people will think their communications are private if they just secure the connection from their client to their ISP/provider.It's important that people understand every email from yahoo to gmail, or from msn to comcast, or between any two different providers travels completely...
And people who choose to use them carefully, instead of hundreds of times/month for every pack of gum or RedBull. People should look up their Axciom profile to see why this is a bad idea. Oh yeah, you can't see most of it, only marketers willing to pay to see your every move and purchase can do that.Anyway, I'd rather respond in agreement to your post than bash the others who don't understand the downsides of credit card mania.Benefits:1) Filling an account with gift...
Outstanding! It's comments like this that make reading here worthwhile.I can't believe I've missed that you're back (except that I don't sign in very often). Welcome back!This (thread on iCloud storage plans!) doesn't seems like the most appropriate place to be commenting, but after poking around a bit and seeing a bunch of your recent comments, I'm so happy to hear about your ongoing recovery. Certainly there are no guarantees with anything like this, but whether you...
Is it any worse that gmail or hotmail or any of the other spyware email services?I'm not being snide, it's a real question. If you have an app that reports back to the mother ship (and I didn't re-look up the details on Mailbox just now), is that worse than a service that actively scans and analyzes each and every word in all your emails?