or Connect

Posts by Blah64

At least partly my bad on "commercial/advertising". The second time you posted what I remembered reading and having discussions with legal people about. I probably shouldn't post when tired. In fact, I'm probably going to have to disengage soon because I have too much on my plate right now to keep getting distracted here, and it shows. Anyway, my bad for confusing the second quote with the first one you posted.I am curious though, those two quotes you posted are very...
Ah yes, that's the verbiage I remember.What exactly does "advertising purposes" encompass? Why not "commercial purposes"?Are "ad profiles" different from "profiles"? I do think this is worded very carefully on purpose.Google's business model will evolve over the years (it already is), and having massive profile data for any purpose will likely be very valuable in the future. Especially for kids, right as they enter adulthood. This language allows them to gather...
I believe so. With the above wording, interpreted liberally, Personal Student Information can still be collected, just not for "commercial purposes". What does "commercial purposes" mean? Are there time-restrictions to when/how it might be used later? It's all fuzzy, and a common strategy in legal work is to make things fuzzy if you want to make it possible to be interpreted liberally when necessary (and vice-versa if you don't).As for logging being done by the school,...
First, thanks for the reply.I guess one thing I would suggest -- to anyone, working on almost any project, is to avoid any kind of "standards" that you need to label as "some quite new" ! ;-) Maybe if you have a captive audience, like an internal corporate tool or service, no problem, but if not, I'd work very hard to use established, widely-supported standards. If for no other reason than to make things available to as many users as possible.As an experienced...
My eyes are rolling so far back into my head that all I can see is eyelids.
No worries. The bit above was just so off-topic....! lolSo this is indeed similar verbiage to what I've seen since the AFE fallout. The problems with this are:1) Turning off google advertising is immaterial. Turning it off, in fact, is a smart thing for google to do, because it's can (potentially) act as a great misdirection tool. Now parents, teachers, administrators look at the pages and say "Great! Google isn't being bad anymore, we won!" But the data can still be...
Wait, are you telling us that every time people carelessly give their email address to businesses to get their receipts, they are also giving permission for the information related to that sale to be data mined?Raise your hands people, how many of you gave permission for your transaction data to be passed along to 3rd parties when you agreed to have your receipt emailed?The quote above says "online buyers", but seriously, I see people giving away their email addresses in...
The companies you mention are indeed slime. There should be laws to prevent what many of them do on a daily basis as their core business. There aren't. Yet.But oddly enough, the discussion above was very specifically about using Google tools in schools. Why would I care to bring up a very different group of companies in this context? You went seriously off-topic this time with the misdirection effort! ;-)I do bring up other companies, and often discuss in generalized...
Kinda-sorta. As alluded to above, recommendations, warnings, etc., are only effective when they're understood and adhered to. Like EricTheHalfBee, I pay a lot of attention to how this stuff works in practice. I've spent a LOT of time in schools and working with school district administration and officials, and the reality is that teachers, principals, and most administrators haven't got a clue, so they just direct students to do whatever seems the easiest.This seems...
I saw some other related articles. It feels like a kinda-sorta fix, but the problem is lack of trust, because these kinds of things keep happening. There's no way to know when the next stupid thing like this is going to happen, and there's no way to undo the data that's been gathered.The overarching problem is that pretty much ALL online companies, especially those who are dependent on data mining their customers for revenue, will keep "improving" their systems like this...