or Connect

Posts by Blah64

It's not an Apple Pay problem, it's the entire track-everything-you-do-from-birth-to-death problem. Yes, it is an issue for me, because as soon as (especially grocery) stores realized that so many people would sell themselves without giving it a second thought, they rarely have sales where people can participate without joining the world of behavior profiling. That means I pay higher prices.Thanks for the link, but it's not good news.(my bold, I didn't see a publish date...
Never said they're perfect! That said, they're entire business model depends on having psychological profiles of all their users. It's their bread and butter. Most people don't use that terminology, but that's clearly what they have. It's based on searches, emails, analytics, and dozens of other trackers that are embedded in almost everything people look at when they're online. Some level of that is what people (consciously or ignorantly) opt into, but there is a very...
It's really sad that tracking cards ("loyalty" bullshit) will make their way more and more into Apple Pay. The whole concept is disgusting; selling your purchasing habits (essentially over your entire lifetime) to commercial, unregulated companies. In that light... Does anyone know if you can attach a pre-pay card to Apple Pay? This is very interesting to me, and may determine whether an imminent purchase will be a new, 6th gen iPod Touch or a used iPhone 5s.
At least partly my bad on "commercial/advertising". The second time you posted what I remembered reading and having discussions with legal people about. I probably shouldn't post when tired. In fact, I'm probably going to have to disengage soon because I have too much on my plate right now to keep getting distracted here, and it shows. Anyway, my bad for confusing the second quote with the first one you posted.I am curious though, those two quotes you posted are very...
Ah yes, that's the verbiage I remember.What exactly does "advertising purposes" encompass? Why not "commercial purposes"?Are "ad profiles" different from "profiles"? I do think this is worded very carefully on purpose.Google's business model will evolve over the years (it already is), and having massive profile data for any purpose will likely be very valuable in the future. Especially for kids, right as they enter adulthood. This language allows them to gather...
I believe so. With the above wording, interpreted liberally, Personal Student Information can still be collected, just not for "commercial purposes". What does "commercial purposes" mean? Are there time-restrictions to when/how it might be used later? It's all fuzzy, and a common strategy in legal work is to make things fuzzy if you want to make it possible to be interpreted liberally when necessary (and vice-versa if you don't).As for logging being done by the school,...
First, thanks for the reply.I guess one thing I would suggest -- to anyone, working on almost any project, is to avoid any kind of "standards" that you need to label as "some quite new" ! ;-) Maybe if you have a captive audience, like an internal corporate tool or service, no problem, but if not, I'd work very hard to use established, widely-supported standards. If for no other reason than to make things available to as many users as possible.As an experienced...
My eyes are rolling so far back into my head that all I can see is eyelids.
No worries. The bit above was just so off-topic....! lolSo this is indeed similar verbiage to what I've seen since the AFE fallout. The problems with this are:1) Turning off google advertising is immaterial. Turning it off, in fact, is a smart thing for google to do, because it's can (potentially) act as a great misdirection tool. Now parents, teachers, administrators look at the pages and say "Great! Google isn't being bad anymore, we won!" But the data can still be...
Wait, are you telling us that every time people carelessly give their email address to businesses to get their receipts, they are also giving permission for the information related to that sale to be data mined?Raise your hands people, how many of you gave permission for your transaction data to be passed along to 3rd parties when you agreed to have your receipt emailed?The quote above says "online buyers", but seriously, I see people giving away their email addresses in...