or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Oh, and one last comment for now.  Any large-scale data like this WILL be compromised, eventually.  It's not a question of if.  There are always many different attack vectors, and if the quantity or value of the data is high enough or interesting enough, it will absolutely be compromised. If it is compromised, what is the likelihood that it will be used for nefarious purposes?  That's a separate question, but given the nature of what it takes to get this kind of data, I'd...
 This.  I think there will be very careful dancing around the designation of "medical device" and what kind of data (vs. analysis) will be allowed (and by whom).  As I've mentioned above, I think there will be new legal issues to sort out as these types of devices and sensors evolve. And This!  Brilliant.  Let me connect the final dots on this one.  I've long thought about other devices and how they work into this type of process (like 24/7 GPS-tracking devices for auto...
 I know you're a techie, but I guess you may be farther down the it's-okay-to-watch-me-24/7 path than I thought you were. You described the first situation in a very narrow way: "basic biometrics" (what is basic/okay with you vs. what wouldn't be okay?), "an Apple device" (as I mentioned, many, many companies will be entering this market), "stored in your iPhone Health app" (just one option), "iCloud" (Apple only, though presumed for iOS). So it more or less sounds like...
 I agree that this is may just be the beginning of whole sets of entirely new classes of monitoring sensors.  As they get smaller and cheaper and more capable it's very likely that they will be used for many purposes we haven't even thought of yet.  As horrible (overall) as some of what you're talking about sounds to me personally (subnormal [you meant subdermal, right] and swallow-me monitors [some exist now]), I do think some people will be all over that. I think most of...
Carrier rootkits are worrisome indeed. I don't expect that there is any kind of systematic corporate exploitation of that with regards to CC processing, but every corporation is comprised of individuals, and humans are imperfect. Anything exploitable will eventually be exploited. Databases which were presumed to be secure are broken into every day. Just like personal information in other people's control will eventually be misused or exposed. It's just a matter of...
If your device has been rootkit'd, then all bets are off. Nothing is secure. To take advantage of such privileges can require very smart developers, time and dedication, but where money is at stake, those kinds of people exist, especially in overseas markets.Third party rootkits on any kind of credit card processing devices is bad news. Let's imagine for a moment that somehow the actual data swiped from the card and sent to the CC authorizer is secure from a rootkit. I...
Do you remember everyone? ;-)Indeed, I generally do not, however privacy is a different issue from security.
Guys, guys... It's not one or the other, it's BOTH.You need to trust any retailer before you hand them your card to swipe. And you need to trust the entire processing chain, from the device manufacturer, the carrier, through the credit card processors and banks. There are a lot of eyeballs that have access to your data along the way.And, given that nearly 100% of today's mobile malware is on Android, that should indeed raise big red flags if you see someone running your...
Sadly, there aren't enough people with your (and my) attitude to make a difference.
I agree with some bits of this, though not all of it. You are right that without legal restrictions, google and all the other data miners simply will not change their behavior. However, this does not justify their behavior! The problems with simply taking that tack alone are (at least) twofold:1) These companies, and there are many of them, have HUGE $ behind them, with huge lobbying efforts. Extremely difficult to overcome.2) Who wants this data just as much as the...