or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Notice that, yet again, google doesn't say anything about not datamining personal data, only that they won't show ads. As far as I can tell from every official google response, the datamining is still happening. From kids, teachers, parents, it doesn't matter.How is it that school district administrators can't read and comprehend this?
Laws like this are asinine, of course. But there's a lesson to be learned here as well, which is that there is no such thing as secret or private when you use public social networks. Both kids and adults use these services under the mistaken assumption that they are a way to communicate privately with friends and family, but they most definitely are not. Of course this is just as true with email datamining services as well, but that's another story. Until adults figure...
I know this is going to sound Jobs-ian, but if it demanded your constant attention, then you weren't using it right. Or you didn't take time to train it.The way I use it, I prefer to have control all the time, but everyone should be able to simply refuse outbound net connections initiated by the apps without your action. Always. If you really want to check for an update, disable it for a minute. The problem is that these days so many apps phone home without your...
Yes, publishing costs money - all well and good; but no, google's model does NOT still work the same.Targeted ads have been around forever. Daytime soaps in the 1960s targeted housewives. Cartoons targeted young kids (and their parents). Computer magazines targeted computer users. That's all good stuff, and supports a robust economy without dehumanizing people.Google, on the other hand, doesn't just place targeted ads, they place, to the best of their ability,...
MacWeek was awesome. "It's Tuesday, it must be MacWeek!" was a common quote at one place I worked.I still have a couple stacks of MacWeek magazine as well as the others mentioned above. MacWeek ads were actually useful, and I looked forward to seeing the latest pricing on memory, hard disks, graphics cards and all that stuff every week. Publishing weekly meant they could keep up with pricing much better than the monthlies.I also still have some old Apple ][ mags as...
I have the first few YEARS of both MacUser and MacWorld, complete. Why I've kept them all these years, I can't really say, other than I like them and think they're cool.
This is the power of Little Snitch. Everyone should have it installed, if for nothing else to become educated at how invasive our computers/apps have become. I feel really sad for everyone else, because think about it... most people have no clue this is happening.Anyway, I absolutely LOVE the idea of Apple coming out with their own search engine. It's something I've talked about for many years. Think of the value even 10% of the search market would give Apple, and how...
In general, I agree with you. Heck, even automobiles were insulted by horse owners in the early days.But really, there is no way to aim an internet-connected camera at someone's face politely. The form factor doesn't matter. That's just over the top, like saying that some day it will socially acceptable to walk up to someone on the street and slap them across the cheek. As society becomes more knowledgeable about technology (old people die and kids grow into adults),...
I guess we'll see if it gets patched up in a subsequent OS update.Then again, at least Apple actually has meaningful privacy settings.C|NET: Google Says Gmail Users Have No Expectation Of Privacy/s
I don't get it. If this:and this:are true, how can this possibly NOT be a violation of their data privacy laws?The only thing that makes sense is what winstein2010 just said: "Post Election", "highly political"