or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Do you remember everyone? ;-)Indeed, I generally do not, however privacy is a different issue from security.
Guys, guys... It's not one or the other, it's BOTH.You need to trust any retailer before you hand them your card to swipe. And you need to trust the entire processing chain, from the device manufacturer, the carrier, through the credit card processors and banks. There are a lot of eyeballs that have access to your data along the way.And, given that nearly 100% of today's mobile malware is on Android, that should indeed raise big red flags if you see someone running your...
Sadly, there aren't enough people with your (and my) attitude to make a difference.
I agree with some bits of this, though not all of it. You are right that without legal restrictions, google and all the other data miners simply will not change their behavior. However, this does not justify their behavior! The problems with simply taking that tack alone are (at least) twofold:1) These companies, and there are many of them, have HUGE $ behind them, with huge lobbying efforts. Extremely difficult to overcome.2) Who wants this data just as much as the...
I'm not really sure why I'm replying, but here goes...I usually try to mention other companies or do like above, with "google and their ilk", because it's absolutely more than just google doing this crap. Acxiom is probably the worst of the non-online service providing data miners and google is probably the worst of the online service providing data miners (though facebook isn't far behind - they're just easier to avoid). Six vs a half dozen, no one gets a pass.What's...
I'm a little late with this reply, but if you think google isn't doing "heavy face recognition", you haven't been following along.All the way back in 2010 Eric Schmidt famously said: “Show us 14 photos of yourself and we can identify who you are. You think you don’t have 14 photos of yourself on the internet? You’ve got Facebook photos!”See: http://allthingsd.com/20110120/talking-schmidt-googles-ceo-in-his-own-words/ for this and various other memorable quotes.That was in...
Thank you! Both for being a fighter and for pointing out the Bobby Knight quote. I'd long forgotten about that, but I think it illustrates perfectly what so many people are doing now. What's happening is vile and reprehensible, and most people are still just laying back and taking it even though they feel violated (social media firms are near the very bottom in "trustability" surveys, so people DO know better, they're just not rebelling in big numbers yet).Knight's...
It's an interesting point about third world countries with little access to online services. It makes me wonder if there's a natural path for cultures to go through, or whether they will learn from our mistakes as "leaders" in digital technology. Will they necessarily follow a path where all the early users go "Woo Hoo! We can put anything we want online!" and overshare more and more and more until they finally realize they've been taken for fools by big data mining and...
Unethical vs. Illegal: I agree that there is a big difference, and perhaps we can even agree that while acting within the confines of the law, they are acting unethical. I have a big problem with that, and it bothers me to no end that so many people ignore it. Beyond that, from a legal standpoint, google and their ilk are almost completely unregulated. They can change their policies at any time and people are stuck/screwed. They will keep their treasure troves of data...
Back on topic, I have at least 3 big problems with this product. 1) To jump onboard with a couple other folks here, I don't believe in data mining, especially for kids, and holy crap, now babies?!. As talented as many google employees are, they cannot guarantee that this data will be secure. Not now, and certainly not forever. They've already had their security broken by our government and by at least one foreign government. The amount of personal data they have is...