or Connect

Posts by Blah64

I'm similarly frustrated, though I think I have a different take on it. Those of us that have been with Apple for many, many years, as I think you have, we've seen Apple blow things up and start fresh many times.  We don't need to look any further than OS X for that!  Usually things come out better, eventually, but there's a period of time where there's pain.  I think the people here who are complete fanboys (and many would put me in that category) are ignoring that...
Wow, is this really goodbye? I haven't signed in here much recently, so I just found this. I don't know if you're even going to see this, but I need to reply. Won't be organized or concise, but if I worry about that I'll never respond!I don't think any apology is necessary, nor did I feel like anything you posted (that I saw) was out of line. You're an opinionated and I'm guessing feisty (? :-) ) gal, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. I have a hard time...
I must say, this is the best line in this thread. And like you, I love letting others "beta test" stuff for me. When I was (much) younger I felt the pull to be on the bleeding edge, but so often it's just a huge time suck, and I don't really have interest spending time debugging early-release problems when I could instead be spending with my family or building something cool.So here's my question for you folks who are using the new release:Background: I don't use ANY...
Nice story, thanks for writing it up. I totally agree that people oversimplify the software patent/troll issue. Yes, they are misused, but patents can often be literally the ONLY way a small, innovator can carve out space for a new product.Back to this thread's topic,All this home automation (and other automation) stuff is cool and futuristic, blah blah blah. But there are big problems, some of which Maestro64 talks about, but there are more.The whole "take my keys,...
No, I use mostly free and open source developer tools day-to-day (it's a wonderful day and age to be a developer), and other productivity tools that can be purchased at retail stores, like iWork, etc.However, I am saying that at some point it's possible that I will have no choice but to "side-load" an OS onto at least some computers if Apple provides no way to purchase other than online. If and when that proves to be the case, at least it looks like the OS itself will be...
Bingo!But it's not just kids.People are getting numbed to the fact that much of what they do on their computers is monitored, and virtually everything they do on their mobile devices is monitored these days. Not just in a listen-on-the-wires sense, but mobile devices, by default, are not really your own personal devices, they are more and more controlled day-to-day by the manufacturers and/or carriers. Look at the "forced OS upgrade" problem people are facing now with...
Thank you for the well-thought out comment. Technology is by far NOT the most important piece of education. Used properly, it can be leveraged to students' advantage, but it's at least as likely, from what I've seen, to be misused and a drag on education instead. Lots of thought needs to be put into how, where, when and why these devices are used, and unfortunately, most educators don't have the cross-domain knowledge to understand all the pieces to this puzzle.I did...
Something to consider: Human fingers press on touchscreens at different angles, depending on how far you are reaching and how you are holding a device (try it yourself). It's not inconceivable that this is by design, because our fingers do not operate like a thin pin coming straight down onto the screen. With different angles, we have a different "feel" for where our fingers are supposed to be pressing. That said, I have no information that would suggest Apple has...