or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Only if you don't follow this sort of thing. There are many instances of corporations with personal data acting against the best interests of their customers.I'm sure you can find many if you look. Here's a particularly egregious one:http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/marketplacek12/2014/05/ftc_acts_to_protect_student_data_in_proposed_ed-tech_bankruptcy_sale.html
Totally agree, and one thing you'll find is that privacy issues in general often don't have as many people's attention as we might think or hope. So many people have fallen into the traps of convenience, cool gadgets and lack of understanding of what's really happening in the back end of all the services they use, that they've lost the ability to even think about what privacy means anymore. This is especially true for many parents who don't even seem to care or...
RadarTheKat, how are you playing this quarter's earnings report? I ask because I seem to remember you played the volatility angle last quarter and did well, and it seems to be shaping up similarly, no? Bloomberg reports: A Chicago Board Options Exchange volatility gauge for Apple shares has jumped 42 percent since a low in March, while a measure of Nasdaq 100 swings has fallen 2.3 percent. The Apple VIX closed at 2.4 times the level of the Nasdaq 100 VIX last week, the...
Yeah, and this sucks, but so many people fall into this trap and the retailers so desperately want this data, that it doesn't surprise me.
Yes! This is one of the stupidest things I see, week in and week out.Raise your hands people, how many of you give your phone #s to cashiers when they ask? If so, WHY?!?!There's no benefit to doing so, and you're giving them what amounts these days to a "personal tracking ID #". WHY?Even giving "just" your zip code is bad...
Most people one this board know little-to-nothing about the market, but you're one of the few that I don't skim past when I read these market-oriented threads, so I have to say this comment surprised me a bit.What makes you think the premium is going to evaporate now? I ask because I swallowed hard and paid a high IV premium just prior to last quarters earnings, buying short-term calls. Yes, the premium did indeed drop, but the underlying stock rose more than enough to...
Fine, you can ignore all the evidence that others have given, and you can ignore my quick check of a computer here that proves your easy-to-remember theory wrong. Not sure what else to say. Your life is simple, you don't deal with lots of computers and/or devices.If you own 1 or 2 cars, it should easy to remember which side the tank is on. If you travel a lot and have to deal with rentals cars all the time, I think having an arrow near the fuel gauge sounds like a...
Sounds fine and dandy, but running something like power from both sides of the computer is not trivial, so no, not a no-brainer. These are really sophisticated machines, it's not just the price of a connector.Sure, I'd love to have power available on both sides, and it would also give the ability to use a thumb drive or external HD without unplugging the damn computer from its power source. But I could get the latter needs met with 2 USB-C ports on the same side, and...
My main laptop is almost never an issue (read above), but on your suggestion I just looked at another computer next to me because the connectors are on the back and vertical. They are indeed the opposite of what you're saying. So no, not so simple. Especially when you're dealing with several computers, some with USB extension cables, or in physical locations where you're reaching around something or bending down, etc. There's no way I'm going to waste my brain cells...
Yeah, honestly I hardly ever get it wrong on my own laptop for exactly that reason. But when using any of several other machines, mostly those with vertical connectors around the back, it really feels like far less than 50/50 on the first try. And I have one adapter that's horizontal, but upside down, which causes problems remembering as well. Ugh.Hey look, useful information! Are you trying to ruin the signal-to-noise ratio here, or what?