or Connect

Posts by Blah64

From a conceptual standpoint, sure it would be really neat technology. So are some of the new man-made biotoxins, but I wouldn't advocate them for use by the general public! ;-) Yes, an extreme and kind of silly example, but I hope the point comes across that just because a new technology is amazingly cool doesn't mean it should be put into general use. Ever.And I'm not really talking about a particular product or implementation; I'm talking about two separate, but...
Well, there's no "absolute assurance" that your CC and other personal info will not be pilfered when you order stuff online, use a CC at a local merchant, or worst of all handing a CC to a waiter/waitress, who generally take it to another physical location where they are free to skim data.That said, having RFID chips embedded in practically anything that follows you around is a bad idea. Including drivers license, passports, credit cards, clothing (yes, that's coming,...
I don't think Bregland's comment is ridiculous at all. I'm a previous Touch owner, and while I'd love a retina display if it comes, it's really not a big deal to me. Sure, I can see the difference, but the existing display is already quite good. What IS a big deal to me is a rear-facing still/video camera. Without that there's nothing to compel me to upgrade at all. But, having a decent quality camera saves me the cost of buying a new digital camera to replace my...
You're missing the point of scHAMMER's comment, which is that unless you take drastic measures, you do NOT have control over your own personal information being strewn all over the place. Why? Because OTHER PEOPLE (your "friends") who enter your personal information into their devices are now making it available to whatever apps they use. Does everyone (anyone??) else understand this?
This is really cool stuff, but what will motivate people to do that, besides money? (which doesn't work long-term).There are already existing solutions in that general space, like RealPlaces. But it takes time and effort to take the photos. It seems like businesses or vacation destinations might be motivated to build their own and/or incent the locals or guests to do so. But are regular people going to be interested in doing this? If not, how else might they be...
There are a lot of apps/products in this overall space: - Videopano: an iPhone app that allows you to put your iPhone in video mode and spin around to create panos - RealPlaces: lets people create their own 3d walk-around places from still images (low-tech, but cool) - Photosynth: microsoft's web toy that pieces together images from the web (also in hive-mind) to generate a cute semi-3d-ish space (higher-tech, but you don't have any control over the end product). And there...
As others have aptly mentioned, this study shows that nearly 75% of those surveyed are JUST NOT INTERESTED. So how much lost revenue would there be if 25% switched? You need to consider both sides of the equation, switchers don't bring new revenue. It's only if the difference is a (very) significant positive number that it would make financial sense. For these guys to throw around the "billion" number is just hype.Duh. Free service? The fact that the numbers are that...
Totally agree. My point was that by attaching an account to a gift card, rather than a credit card, there is a low and hard limit on the damage that can be done and you can just create another account. Sure, you can call the CC issuer and deal with it, but it's not only a pain in the ass, it enables crooks to steal vast amounts of money. The fact that you aren't the one that pays for it in the short run doesn't mean the damage didn't happen.I find that attitude...
Sadly, you're right. It's a really sad statement that people value a little convenience over everything else - safety, privacy, but it's certainly the trend. My hope is that by throwing out tidbits of education people will at least consider other options when it doesn't pose a significant inconvenience. I don't expect many people to move back to an almost fully cash based lifestyle, as I have, but most of the time cash is really easy. Look how many people whip out...
+1 for "sayin' it like it is!" I was thinking exactly the same thing. More than a couple shows a week for teens is not cool. Even if they're caught up with homework and studying, there are a zillion other better things to do.