or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Nah, think about it a bit more. Why do networks have to be so ruthless about killing programs? What is their scarce resource? Time slots! One network can only broadcast one show at 8pm on Thursday night, so they NEED to be ruthless about killing stuff that doesn't get a lot of viewers. That's a motivation to acquire cable channels, as a venue to broadcast more content. But with Apple's internet-on-demand delivery, anyone can watch (or download and wait) any show at...
Good catch, and no, I responded before reading that. It does look like a pretty good policy, as far as it goes. Just to play devil's advocate a bit though, what happens over the long run when Google gains a large enough foothold in this arena. As individual ISPs have less need to manage robust DNS services, they will likely put even less resources into it than they are, which is already pretty bad in some cases. At that point there will be no separate infrastructure...
I'm afraid you're not really thinking this through.Unless you don't subscribe to anything online, don't use web email, don't use cookies, etc., your IP address is you. Use gmail at all? And most ISPs, even with DHCP keep their subscribers on a consistent IP for some time before it changes. So while all the dotted lines may not be connected directly at any given point in time, all the pieces can be put together readily by anyone with enough data and the interest to do...
Thank goodness people are starting to pay attention to this! Google is not an inherently evil company, but there's no way any company should be allowed to have so much cross-domain knowledge about so many people. They know more about you than the Feds, and probably more than many of your relatives. At some point at least some of their data WILL be hacked, there's no doubt about that at all. And just because they are "good guys" right now, it doesn't mean squat down the...
Are you saying you shop online for apparel? From my experience, which is admittedly not broad, nor deep, unless you are intimately familiar with a particular line, there's no way to know whether any given article is going to run large or small, or look like crap because of some odd cut. Not to mention colors or the feel of fabric. I've seen linens that looked great online and I went to buy it at the local store and was horrified at how ugly it was in real life. Other...
Wow, I could have written your post, almost word for word. My information is mine, and no one else's, especially not Microsoft or Google or Facebook, AT&T, etc., as they are the biggest collectors. And the notion that if you do not participate you are somehow "dirty", is also depicted by the TV ads that show how paying cash is bad because it inconveniences others. The truth is simply that it doesn't generate any revenue for the credit/debit card companies! But back to...
Here's my question (without having read any technical docs yet): Did they create some kind of cross-compiler that takes Flash code and spits out a native Cocoa app, or are they just slapping a Flash interpreter wrapper around people's apps? The first seems like a HUGE amount of work, fraught with challenging technical hurdles. The second seems like it would be out of compliance with Apple's iPhone Developer Agreement. This is after only a couple minutes of...
Looks to me like he's emphasizing The Web as opposed to dedicated apps built on Flash.
I'm so glad that many people have finally come around and see Flash as a (mostly) unnecessary resource-hog. For me personally, what's even worse than that is the animated crap on the screen that makes it impossible to even read the articles. So disabling it is a must for me, although I do use ClickToFlash for the occasional video. So here's the flaw with the "choice argument" when it comes to Flash. With something like matte/glossy, having a choice does not affect anyone...
Wow, I beg to differ. I'd guess most people DO sit around indoors most of the day next to WiFi. Most people spend the bulk of their day either at home or at their work/office. Does your office have WiFi? Most offices I know do now. As does every McDonald's, Starbucks, most cafes, you name it. Heck, open WiFi is pretty common even sitting in the park - at least in urban areas around here. About the only time most people are going to regularly be away from WiFi is when...