or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Wow, can you please share your insider knowledge of Apple's customer preferences? Other than making a wild-assed guess based upon utter speculation, do you have any substantive proof that more people prefer glossy over matte? Cause with those big bad bold minority comments, it sure sounds like you must have some amazing data that no one else is aware of! Please share! Oh, and while you're at it, probably the closest thing any of us have (and it's not perfect by any...
I've used someone else's MacBook, in fairly typical environs, and I'm sorry, there just isn't a solution that involves slight tweaks to the angle of the laptop. I've found it virtually impossible to find ANY angle that doesn't show annoying reflections. The reflections DO exist on these glossy screens in almost every "normal" lighting situation, to some degree; it's just a matter of how bothersome they are to you. Apparently they don't bother you, and many others. ...
Wow, a fantastic post. Yes, no one's counting those users who will either buy some other brand (probably few) or just hold off purchasing indefinitely (probably many, but no one, not even Apple, would have a solid estimate on that one). I fall into the latter camp. There's nothing Apple makes that I can use right now. I need portability, and a screen that I can actually use for more than 10 minutes without going insane. Yes, the 17" does exist, but it's barely...
[re: 40% of market prefers matte polls]These are all very good thoughts and questions. Honestly, unless the polls are *grossly* wrong, I can't understand Apple's decision. The MacPolls poll has over 30,000 votes. It would be hard to imagine that poll being dreadfully wrong. For those who don't want to take the time to click away, here's what it says: Prefer: Glossy\t 32.31 % (10,007) Matte\t 44.04 % (13,639) Don't Know\t 23.65 % (7,324) --------------- Total votes:...
Yes, thank you! I couldn't have written it better.
I've seen that quoted elsewhere, but where is it stated as more than rumor? It's also a very conveniently round number, that 10-1, I don't believe it. Do a bunch of googling and you'll find others who say matte outsold glossy by inverse ratios (various machines, not just Macs). Right now, of course glossy is outselling matte because that's what's more common in the stores. Because people like bright and shiny!
Wow, so easy to say, but a laptop is designed for mobility. Unless you have a fixed desk with ideal lighting, how are you supposed to achieve "not working in an environment that has a lot of light sources to create glare or reflections that would distract you"? I own a laptop so I can work wherever I'm at, be it in a client's office, a coffee shop, or at home. And "at home" can mean any comfortable seat in the house. Are you saying I should sacrifice all that...
You're going to be sorry... :-( I guess if you spend your hard-earned cash to buy it you might be able to convince yourself over time that you like it, but because you see the reflections now (unlike so many) I doubt you'll ever get around that. My suggestion? Look for a gently-used previous generation MBP w/matte screen. The newer screens may be brighter, but they have no less reflections than the previous version.
Ditto, ditto, ditto. Honestly, calibration is not a big deal for most people, although consumers tend to like things that are brighter and shinier, which the glossy screens are. I wonder if software developers are less able to turn off parts of their vision? ;-)I think teckstud has a good point (OMG!). If you have a bunch of people sitting in fixed positions, then at least one set of people (if not more) are not going to be able to see parts of the screen. That would...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! After reading the first 141 comments in this thread, that's the funniest one yet. The current displays are so reflective that they should be called the MacMirror Pro line. Seriously, you must be joking, right? Those are NOT low-glare screens, by any stretch of the imagination. I would love it if they kept the glass but upgraded it to something that's less reflective than a mirror, but that's just the way they are. You can argue that you don't care,...