or Connect

Posts by Blah64

You guys all get up on the wrong side of the bed again? What a bunch of assholes. A developer wants to clean up some minor privacy concerns on his platform of choice and the maggots come crawling out of the woodwork.
Can you provide a reference for this? This would be great news as far as I'm concerned, if it's true.They should at least email owners of the particular app, which would be trivial. Why on earth do you think this would be difficult?! But I think they should go a step further: First offense by a particular company or developer: stern warning. Second offense: ban from the App Store. Apple has explicit policies in place that developers are thumbing their nose at. But...
No reason to stop there. He/she should also post his/her address, phone number, birthday and social security number. But of course he/she won't do that because in fact he/she DOES care for privacy, and the comment above is bullshit. The notion that "I don't have anything to hide, so I don't need privacy" has been proven to be a big fat lie that ignorant people pop up with when they don't agree with your privacy preferences. The truth is that everyone values their...
You picked the very last thing I would want sync'd in the cloud. FFS, your financial data isn't something to trust to 3rd parties any more than you absolutely have to.Zero interest to me. I have only one thought about OS-cloud integration: IT HAD BETTER DAMN WELL BE OPTIONAL!! And not made critical for "normal" use, or cumbersome to disable 100% from a single setting.
I agree with you that the data in that particular file isn't a(n accurate) record of your phone's absolute location. However, as was discussed near the end of a previous thread here, in order to generate that file, your location data had to be passed back to Apple. Now, Apple says they obscured that data en route, and they say they didn't/don't keep that data. I don't believe this has been proven, but I'm willing to trust them on that. Mostly. Not so much trust for...
Steven, you seemed to have missed the earlier conversations. Location data is indeed available (required) to the carriers. But they are bound by certain legal restrictions on how that data can be used or distributed. Not so with the phone manufacturers, currently they can do whatever the hell they want with that data. Comparing the two is either misleading or ignorant. And this point has nothing at all to do with the consolidated.db file, that's another story,...
“If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know maybe you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place”
You blew it on this example, disproving your entire point. Thanks! Just like with TV advertisements, advertisers can make the exact same decisions about which periodicals they want to advertise in, based on the content itself without requiring individual user profiles! This is how it's been done for decades on TV, and there's no reason it can't work like this with digital subscriptions as well. If they're able to eke out some add'l personal data from some people (just...
I agree with this. But what I do like is that all the media play is at least making people pay more attention to the overall issues - especially with location data. Awareness is a Good Thing.And you're absolutely right about browser, search and purchasing history being bigger concerns. Google really does know more about most people than they know themselves, and that should worry people a lot more than it appears to be right now. Much of this tracking and profile...
And I find it totally unacceptable for any organization to build and own those kinds of profiles, especially to their own advantage. Hence I only use credit cards when absolutely necessary. It's surprisingly liberating (most of the time) to pay for all your general purchases by cash. No having to sign for things, much less likely to spend big $ on stupid things you regret later, no (well, less) worries about stolen info, no "life-breadcrumbs" left everywhere you...