or Connect

Posts by Blah64

There are inexpensive apps that do exactly what you're talking about. (Maybe even free ones, but not something I'm personally interested in, so I'm not following that closely). So go buy your iPhone! The key is that these apps are 100% opt-in. If YOU want to have your iPhone track your location and send that back to whatever servers, great. But gathering, storing and transmitting that data with no (reasonable) way to access, delete, opt-out, etc., is appalling and...
Hey, you edited while I was trying to quote you! :-)Your original comment said something that I wanted to expand on just a bit.People throw around the word "anonymous" pretty freely these days, but just because a hunk of data doesn't explicitly have your name on it does NOT mean it's anonymous! This has been proven time and time again, but people don't seem to learn.Everyone listen up: if data is being sent from YOUR phone to Apple, then THEY absolutely know who the data...
I don't want to pick on you in particular, because you seem like one of the non-obnoxious commenters here, but that's a standard privacy comment that's universally not true. Just because you're not doing anything "bad", doesn't mean that you're willing to share everything will everyone. A simple example: to take you at your word ("I have nothing to hide"), please post your full name (including full middle name), your address, your social security #, and your birthdate. ...
I totally agree, especially w/iPodTouch, which won't always be on a network (and in my case is almost NEVER connected to the open internet. And I never use Open Feint or any of that ilk, so unless a developer in incredibly devious (like: batching up data, running in the background secretly waiting for a connection!), they're never going to see how many times I'm playing their games or using their apps. My guess is they just kiss off those of us who value our privacy and...
The question is: how can anyone NOT be concerned about this (as a general topic, not as this specific feature as implemented on iPhones). I'll post this cartoon again, because it's so apropos and seems to register better with people than mere words.In fact, I don't own an iPhone, and won't purchase one until/unless issues like these are resolved. Especially the rampant phoning-home. This can kind of be solved by jailbreaking and installing a 3rd party app similar to...
Yay, I was heard by at least one person! ;-)Nope, not always. Tell me how to disable the GPS on an iPhone? It's one thing to restrict 3rd party access, but as I understand it, Apple has access to that data 24/7. As well as the telcos, but that's impossible to avoid. There's no way to block outgoing network traffic, ala Little Snitch, and Apple doesn't look like they're going to approve that kind of app. This is an even bigger problem, and it's not getting enough...
Ugh, not this again. If it actually is put in the phone, just make damn sure there's a way to completely and fully disable it!!
What a silly response. Did you even read his examples? Many (though certainly not all) uses of dashboard widgets are completely dependent on seeing data in the window(s) you are currently working in.
+1 The calculator, in particular, is something that's used while referencing other on-screen documents. Let's hope (and lobby Apple) to not do something silly like this. The developer previews are not the final product, fortunately, and Apple does pay attention to developer (and consumer) reactions.
I too was going to complain about not being able to see the videos until flipping back over to Safari and reloading the pages.I must say that this is a mixed bag. Don't get me wrong, I despise Flash. But I use FlashBlock, which is almost ideal in that I don't have to see any heavyweight animation or video come in unless I explicitly click on it. It's actually more annoying to me to have the video auto-download without my explicit request. But worse than that, it looks...