or Connect

Posts by Blah64

I guess no one else here picked up on this, but you're absolutely right. This is a geek design, not an elegant one, and it's design decisions like this that microsoft loves as well.
You're very welcome! Usually I feel like these discussions are for naught, so it's nice to see someone receptive to a nudge like this. (Of course you had to already be thinking along those lines, but it still feels good). Now, pass it on! :-)
No kidding. What is it with the sheep mentality? Unless you feel the need to have your life opened up online, why bother? Just say NO! If you like to communicate with your friends, there is email, phones, and (shocking) talking in person! None of which require you to kowtow to Facebook management, who are NOT in business to make life better for you. Make no mistake, they are in business to make profit, and that requires them to push everyone to make as much of their...
This is great stuff, and it's unfortunate that some don't respect the fact that you're actually successful enough at what you're doing to make a living at it. From what I've seen in the trading world (yes folks, this is trading, not investment, so what!), a huge part of that is risk management. Not getting in too deep on any one trade and balancing wins/losses in a way that makes sense for your strategies. Couple questions for you: how long have you been doing this? or...
And therefore, Mr Underhill is a young tart! sorry, couldn't resist.
You only think you haven't posted your home address. ;-)http://www.google.com/search?q=nyt+g...veal+more+wish click the first link, the New York Times article. Okay, maybe you don't post photos either, or you're smart enough and on the ball enough that you've already removed that info. Or you have an older camera (but that will change). But y'know, there are millions of people doing shit that they have no idea about.Heh. I enjoyed the humor there, it's cute. And...
The conversation here so far is hilarious. Facebook is a huge phenomenon, that's for sure. It fills a strong perceived need for people to be in constant contact with others, whether they're "real" friends or not. And it helps people feel important, and "tuned in". The problem is this folks: Facebook is not a benign entity. They do not exist to help you communicate with others. They exist to make a profit, and the way they do that is by extracting as much personal...
Indeed, nothing is perfectly secure. But storing documents in the cloud -- and working drafts, which is more scary, if you think about it -- is generally accretive to the security issues. Unless you dictate that the documents are not stored locally at all (which has a whole other set of issues), the local worries are still there, PLUS you've handed the virtual keys off to another organization. Trusting not only that their keys and methods are secure, but that 100% of...
There are certainly some types of documents where this is appropriate; stuff that is totally public in nature, and where it's not even an issue if the working drafts are seen by others. But that's far from typical. Are people just not bothered that their drafts and documents are sitting on public servers? Or are people really naive enough to believe that they're really secure? As a tech business owner, I will not do business with a company that does live work in the...
Following up along this line, one thing I recommend most people consider: Get an iTunes gift card, pay cash for it. Then open an iTunes account with this card and a new, single-purpose webmail account. It's a little tricky IIRC, but if you do it correctly (I know for a fact you could do this several months ago - I did it), you can open an account without a credit card or any other (verified) personal information. This allows you to legitimately purchase music and...