or Connect

Posts by Blah64

And I find it totally unacceptable for any organization to build and own those kinds of profiles, especially to their own advantage. Hence I only use credit cards when absolutely necessary. It's surprisingly liberating (most of the time) to pay for all your general purchases by cash. No having to sign for things, much less likely to spend big $ on stupid things you regret later, no (well, less) worries about stolen info, no "life-breadcrumbs" left everywhere you...
Yup, spread the word! So you don't really save with a card, but the problem is, if you shop at these stores and don't want to play the games, you DO end up paying more. It's a no-win for the consumer. I understand they have a right to do this, but on the rare occasions I shop at one of these chains and do end up paying more (unfriendly cashier that won't just scan their own register card) it pisses me off enough to not go back to that chain again for a long time. So...
You have got to be fking joking! You obviously did NOT read the entire topic with that goal. It only took me a couple minutes of quick scanning to find these insulting comments. And there were plenty more that were accusatory and/or dismissive. He or she (magic) has been on-topic and polite throughout, you just don't agree with him. In the end, you're being a dick. Speaking of aliases, it looks like FreeRange and d-range are the buddies or aliases. Speaking of...
That sounds about right.I'll chime in to say that I'm pretty trusting of Apple as well, but where there's doubt I still like to have verification. There are far too many fanboys and apologists around here, especially about privacy issues. (I'm not counting you in that group). And I'll also say that as far as privacy issues, while I don't have 100% trust any organization, I trust Apple more than pretty much any major corporation that I'm aware of or deal with. Especially...
Well that's uncommon here, but accepted. And ditto.I think you're making some of the same points, just from a (presumably) different vantage.Subscribing to a physical periodical obviously includes the address, which, as you mention, leads to a treasure trove of statistically-likely information. But the age of physical subscriptions is winding down, and giving a publisher access to that kind of information needs to be a decision made by the consumer. Or at least made...
I think we can agree that for every individual there is a different level of "within reason". For many different scenarios, some literally for safety, some financial, some personal.For the most part, this can be done (and has been done for 50 years) simply by targeting toward the demographic of the web site, article content, TV show, magazine, etc... And I have no problem with that at all. It's not AS accurate as profiling, but it's reasonably accurate without delving...
In the voice of Steve Martin: Excuuuuuse Me! You said "location", which really doesn't mean much in this context. What they ask for in this case, as I said, is: name, email, zip code. And then we'll add the data you suggested: age group, sex, location, income. So now that it's name-calling time (wtf?) I guess you're a bigger dumbass than I, because you somehow think that advertisers can't match that information to an address. Either you are woefully ignorant of the...
Sigh, late as it is, I can't help but write one last response.And this doesn't bother you? It should. Why are people so addicted to plastic? It's really easy to carry cash around (for most basic purchases, I'm not talking about a computer or trip to the Bahamas), our society has done it for the last 100 years. Now people whip out their cards to buy a stinkin' pack of gum, it's pitiful. The "savings" games are all bullshit, because the banks charge the merchants for...
Sure, but it might as well be a secret if the general public doesn't know. You and I might read through SDK docs before breakfast, but few others even know how to, let alone would care enough to bother. It's only when the media gets hold of things and fans the flames that the general public finds out.See my previous post.Actually, I'm not so sure we'll get any legislation out of this, but you're right that there's a danger of a false feeling of safety if it's poorly...
We can presumably (hopefully) take Apple at their word that they were/are not logging and saving location data. But as discussed on an earlier thread, user location data necessarily was/is sent to Apple in order for them to generate the data that's sent back. Perhaps a bit pedantic, but there's no evidence of innocence beyond Apple telling us they didn't keep that data. And it wasn't just the size of the cache, but the fact that this data was being used even when...