or Connect

Posts by Blah64

I love stupid comments like this. No one has access to these kind of statistics outside the developer(s), and I'm sure you know that. I use Little Snitch and at least a couple friends (that I know of) use it as well. We desperately need an (official) app like this for iPhone/iPodTouch. I know there are options available through "back channels", but maybe we need some kind of petition for this... I would not dream of using a computer hooked up to the net without Little...
Fine, we can see the context from which you're views are derived. However, rather than base your claims on your own (very limited) access to this kind of data, look around and see what's happening in the bigger world. I can only assume you didn't actually read the WSJ and subsequent articles. This data IS being harvested, aggregated, disaggregated, and much of it sold. No matter whether you believe it or not. There are many lawsuits in-progress. Damages are difficult...
it looks like you're just trolling here, so i'll make a quick pass here and be done. either that or you're a shill for google, rapleaf, bluekai or one of those perilously-close-to-criminal companies.stuff here quoted for truth.anonymouse was talking about online advertising companies, however, you responded with:attempting to change the topic to iOS apps. maybe since you knew you were fundamentally wrong trying to deny the fact that online marketing companies are...
I guess we should be in awe of your lack of Google skills. The WSJ alone has an entire series on the matter, as pointed out above. It's obvious you didn't really look, this stuff is commonly-known unless you live under a rock. Sorry Anonymouse, I was out most of the day, I'm surprised more people didn't join the conversation to point out the gross ignorance of those arguing against you. alandail: RapLeaf was all over the news a while back, here's just a couple links...
Wow, deja-vu. Don't suppose you just read the 2 posts I posted on the Chrome OS thread yesterday? About how gmail indirectly opts in your friends info as well, whether they like it or not? This is just one aspect, the whole area of tracking and profiling is a big deal, and Apple is no saint either. I'm tempted to repost here, since that thread was mostly dead and no replies followed, but I'll just post links unless someone thinks a repost is worthwhile. Post #1:...
Let me try to illustrate by example: If you walked into, say, Best Buy, and the guy at the checkout counter said: "Hey, I see you're buying an XBox, so we have a special for you today. If you give us the names, addresses, phone #s and emails of 3 of your best friends, we'll give you $10 off your purchase!". I think most of you would laugh in their face, right? Would you even dream of doing this? (I really am curious, if you read this, I'd love your answer or...
Note this is for several reasons. Pervasive google adsense, pervasive google analytics, pervasive gmail that drags in unwitting 3rd party personal info. Google's tentacles are literally everywhere on the web.Thanks pmz, I only hope we can convince more people to pay attention. Even if they don't change their behavior in the near term, I just wish people would try to be critical thinkers and not dismiss the inherent problems out of hand. solipsism, I was really hoping...
Bingo! In a high school it might not make as much difference, but would be bad news for elementary and middle schools, where you have young kids.My fear is that Apple, in their need to keep the # of SKUs down, may ignore this problem. There's a cost associated with managing additional models, as well as the game with "best seller" sales #s, which are higher when you have less models to choose from. The question is, is the K-12 market big enough in Apple's eyes to offset...
First, I'm happy you have an AppleInsider account. 20,000 posts and counting - please stick around for another 20,000!So don't take this the wrong way, I just want to get you to start thinking about something. I've discussed this with personal friends, and the attitudes have ranged from "yeah, you're right, I think I'll change my usage", to "stupid #!*$#, shut up". More or less...You are making a conscious choice to give full and unfettered access to your personal...
Yes, this is a lot of quoted material, but for a reason... more commentary below.Hallelujah!! I am SO HAPPY to see many of you realizing the downside and dangers of one (or a few) companies in control of so much personal data! I've been 'preaching' the negative aspects of this model for a long time, and it's often felt like I was standing alone against an ocean of momentum. It felt like I was standing in the theater at the end of Apple's 1984 commercial, looking...