or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Totally agree. My point was that by attaching an account to a gift card, rather than a credit card, there is a low and hard limit on the damage that can be done and you can just create another account. Sure, you can call the CC issuer and deal with it, but it's not only a pain in the ass, it enables crooks to steal vast amounts of money. The fact that you aren't the one that pays for it in the short run doesn't mean the damage didn't happen.I find that attitude...
Sadly, you're right. It's a really sad statement that people value a little convenience over everything else - safety, privacy, but it's certainly the trend. My hope is that by throwing out tidbits of education people will at least consider other options when it doesn't pose a significant inconvenience. I don't expect many people to move back to an almost fully cash based lifestyle, as I have, but most of the time cash is really easy. Look how many people whip out...
+1 for "sayin' it like it is!" I was thinking exactly the same thing. More than a couple shows a week for teens is not cool. Even if they're caught up with homework and studying, there are a zillion other better things to do.
Nah, see above. I do all that AND don't use plastic except in emergency or in situations where it cannot (in a practical sense) be avoided, like airline tickets. For all you lazy kiddos (not singling out you, solip), try using only cash for a while! It's actually really refreshing. Every purchase you make does not send 2-3% of your purchase to greedy bank coffers, it does not allow merchants and banks to profile your purchasing habits, and just feels less "dirty" in...
This is not true. You can open an iTunes account with an Apple Gift Card only, no CC at all. The process is not widely advertised, and in fact there was confusion among the Apple store when I asked before buying the gift card. But it IS possible. The worst thing that could happen to me is the loss of $15, which is the most I've ever had in that account. I suspect (and hope) more people will consider this non-CC option after this round of fraud. I wish more people took...
+1 Great quote, succinct. Thank you.Another +1 for being old enough to remember this (guessing) and wise enough to understand. Apple is no saint on this topic either, but they are several steps better than the alternatives.Someone else who "gets it".Ha, good one.Thankfully at least some people understand these issues, because it seems most of the kiddies don't understand and/or care. Unfortunately, it's difficult if not impossible in some cases to stuff the genie back...
Nice! I've heard the Zimbra name for quite some time, but never really looked at what they provide. This looks like a great set of tools if it really works as well as advertised.Why people are comfortable trusting large corporations (any of them) with virtually all of their personal information, contacts, schedules, etc., is beyond me. I guess people are just lazy and/or don't really think through all the possible consequences.
Thank you. Unlike many of the knee-jerk reactions above, someone is actually using their head for more than a vessel to grow hair.Yes, some of these lawmakers are ignorant douches, and it's unlikely they have a clue about what Apple is doing, nor what Android and others are doing, but there are multiple layers here. Guys, read this part again:in iOS 4, Apple is enabling iAd and other independent ad networks to collect private information, but limits this data collection...
The title is taken verbatim from an EFF article: https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy...rAction&id=451 I heartily suggest anyone and everyone do two things: 1) Contact your local lawmakers. Email works, but most have phone #s that you can call as well, which carries a bit more weight. 2) Spread the word. The longer it's kept out of the public eye, the better the odds of passing. Text from the EFF article: The U.S. Trade Representative has spent the past two years...
It sounds neat, and it might even be secure at the moment, but you need to realize that every encryption security method is cracked. And by the time you hear about it publicly it's probably been well-known to the "bad guys" for quite some time. This is a problem with digital data in general, but it's worse when wireless because these IDs can be sniffed out by someone you've never even interacted with, just walking around in public. Read this Defense Industry Daily...