or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Why anyone would ever hand their CC over to wait staff in restaurants anymore is beyond me. Especially, as you say, here in the U.S. My security (you didn't note privacy, but that's the other 1/2 of the equation) would most certainly NOT increased by using NFC. I use cash for most "typical" transactions. People are such lazy-asses these days, using CCs for every little purchase. When you dig in and find out how much data harvesting and selling goes on behind the...
Actually, it can be much longer distances. It doesn't take a ton of $ or talent to built a transceiver that can operate from a distance, as has been demonstrated in real life. The ability to capture any data that can potentially identify an individual wirelessly is dangerous. Especially things like passports when traveling to foreign countries, where Americans can be targeted. This isn't purely theoretical, it's a real danger. With passports in particular, even the...
I hope this is not something you're actually advocating. It's bad enough already, this scene you are describing is a nightmare. The privacy (and safety) issues with a system like that are mind-boggling.This is the kind of bullshit knee-jerk response that every thread like this gets. Cue the Beavis/Butthead voice: "huh huh, where's your tinfoil hat, heh huh". It's too bad you can't actually engage constructively on the topic.
Writing "check ID" on your card is a great first step. Of course, using your CC only when necessary is the next step. Why people need to use credit/debit cards for every little frickin' cup of coffee is beyond me. It's not hard to carry a few bucks in your pocket. Sheesh. You can (and SHOULD) request your CC issuer to provide you with a non-RFID card. I'm not sure if they are legally required to provide you with that option, but the issuers I'm aware of all provide...
Best post of the day. Unfortunately, this doesn't match Apple's typical hardware profile, which is to keep things embedded and "simple". For the most part I agree with Apple's mindset, but not with something that can potentially be used for geo-tracking and profiling without physical contact.Remember, gmail is NOT free, even as much as people will try to tell you that it is. You've found out the hard way, but it's also important that people understand when they use a...
We'd better be able to completely disable any NFC.
Agreed, and like I said, I understand it's a slippery slope. If someone asks for a ban and then it happens that only encourages more users to complain. In this case I figured it was worth asking because I could do so in the context of your reprimanding him already. That said, I see someone saw the merit of the request. Although I suspect he's been on thin ice for a while. Sometimes as a regular reader it's hard to cope with the most egregious trolls, but maybe the...
What does it take to get banned? (seriously) I have no problem with rational criticism of Apple and it's products, and I agree with some that the level of fanboy-ism here has risen lately. Sensible debate is useful, and crushing every dissenting voice is not cool. But holy cow, there are a handful of accounts, like this iLiver clown, that constantly post garbage. Nothing constructive at all, just post after post of trolling. Sure, one can add to an ignore list, but...
The imation product looks neat, but again that's very expensive. Quite a bit more so than bare hard drives. Anyway, I think you intended the response for me, and yes, what I'm asking about is for long-term archival. Imagine a home or small office with lots of photos, some videos, etc. Digital media storage is growing leaps and bounds for everyone these days. We have 70-80 thousand photos at this point, growing all the time. We generally don't even use full-HD video...
Drobo is very cool, but expensive!. Doubly so for maintaining offsite archival. Remember, the comparison is to DVD-Rs, and the question about DVD usage for archival if/when Apple stops including the drives in new machines. And yes, I pooh-poohed the online solutions, not only from a long-term trust standpoint (this is archival, so by definition, very long term), but for price. But you got me looking again to price things out. Do you have any idea what it costs to store...