or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Sigh, late as it is, I can't help but write one last response.And this doesn't bother you? It should. Why are people so addicted to plastic? It's really easy to carry cash around (for most basic purchases, I'm not talking about a computer or trip to the Bahamas), our society has done it for the last 100 years. Now people whip out their cards to buy a stinkin' pack of gum, it's pitiful. The "savings" games are all bullshit, because the banks charge the merchants for...
Sure, but it might as well be a secret if the general public doesn't know. You and I might read through SDK docs before breakfast, but few others even know how to, let alone would care enough to bother. It's only when the media gets hold of things and fans the flames that the general public finds out.See my previous post.Actually, I'm not so sure we'll get any legislation out of this, but you're right that there's a danger of a false feeling of safety if it's poorly...
We can presumably (hopefully) take Apple at their word that they were/are not logging and saving location data. But as discussed on an earlier thread, user location data necessarily was/is sent to Apple in order for them to generate the data that's sent back. Perhaps a bit pedantic, but there's no evidence of innocence beyond Apple telling us they didn't keep that data. And it wasn't just the size of the cache, but the fact that this data was being used even when...
It's a good ruling, in general. The problem is that even if it's not good enough for the courts, it's apparently good enough for law-enforcement and others, as a de facto standard. There are a lot of screwy things happening as law, technology and privacy start intersecting more and more. It's hard to know how a lot of these things will pan out over time.
Of course they can! A traditional application has access to most of the data on your computer, so if it knows where to look, it can grab whatever it wants. Heck, it can do a lengthy search, for that matter, just to see what's there. The difference is that on a traditional OS, we are in control. We can put whatever tools we want on our computer to monitor and/or stop such behavior. In fact, everyone who owns a Mac should be running Little Snitch. Seriously. If people...
Why isn't everyone bent out of shape over this one?! I don't think Apple intentionally did this, but it's got to get patched up. It's simple: make it optional, just like location. If there's a specific need for an app to have access to a UUID or certain information, just ask. If I want to grant access, fine, but it should not be available to any random developer from whom I happen to try an app. And add an "enable for all apps" and a "disable for all apps" and you're...
Ditto. Glad to see that we comprise 50% of the market. I completely stopped subscribing to magazines many years ago after I realized they were selling my personal info to other marketers. Didn't they? It all depends on how it's portrayed. Imagine if the title of the article was: "Publishers Furious Over Losing 50% of Their Demographic Data", and they self-reported a doomsday scenario where they would all be out of business within 5-7 years. Seriously, 50% is literally...
Thank you! At least someone finally acknowledges it!And this is where we really don't know the implementation details, because they are behind Apple's closed walls. We can speculate, and we can look at the data being passed back, but I believe that could all be correlated on the back end if they chose to do so. I'm not saying they do that, but it's possible. Sadly, here's where I think the laws need to be updated, to ensure that companies do the right thing. Also, even...
Yes! I'd lost track of this thread, but this is exactly true. And even as far as the iPhone "tracking" issues, until the laws are updated, we are at the mercy of these companies' word not to change their mind or mislead the public. I believe Apple is one of the "good guys" and they (generally) tell the truth about what happens behind their closed walls. But that's now, today, and things can change. Management changes, times change. Data that's transmitted to Apple...
You DO have reflections on your screen, and the main point that I wish people would stop contradicting. From your comments here, I gather that don't care about them, and that's fair enough, but they are most certainly there. Smooth glass is reflective, and nothing anyone here on the forum can say changes that fact. If you sit in front of your computer and look for the reflections you will see them unless your environment is picture-perfect and your head never moves. ...