or Connect

Posts by Blah64

What a silly response. Did you even read his examples? Many (though certainly not all) uses of dashboard widgets are completely dependent on seeing data in the window(s) you are currently working in.
+1 The calculator, in particular, is something that's used while referencing other on-screen documents. Let's hope (and lobby Apple) to not do something silly like this. The developer previews are not the final product, fortunately, and Apple does pay attention to developer (and consumer) reactions.
I too was going to complain about not being able to see the videos until flipping back over to Safari and reloading the pages.I must say that this is a mixed bag. Don't get me wrong, I despise Flash. But I use FlashBlock, which is almost ideal in that I don't have to see any heavyweight animation or video come in unless I explicitly click on it. It's actually more annoying to me to have the video auto-download without my explicit request. But worse than that, it looks...
No kidding. Show of hands: who would like to hang out with ascii's family next Christmas? -crickets- What the hell kind of a family gathering is it where everyone is glued to their computers (full-size or hand-size)? What a sad, sad family.
Not yet it's not. If you only have a single machine, fine. But as soon as you have multiple computers on your network, use a home media server, or have a family where you're sharing lots of stuff, wireless is still way too damn slow. Ever try using your iPhoto library over WiFi? Ugh, it sucks. Want to move a couple gig of video clips or photos from your desktop to laptop? It's actually less painful to go find an ethernet cable, link the machines together, change their...
+1 for this. Why people feel they have to have their CC tied to their account is beyond me, kids or not. Using iTunes gift cards gives virtually all the benefits, with virtually none of the risk.Yup. I don't necessarily agree with this exact set of options, but the idea is perfect. And given the number of kids that use iPad/iPhone, it would surprise me if they didn't add something similar to this in the future.Patranus is obviously not a parent (nor particularly...
Why anyone would ever hand their CC over to wait staff in restaurants anymore is beyond me. Especially, as you say, here in the U.S. My security (you didn't note privacy, but that's the other 1/2 of the equation) would most certainly NOT increased by using NFC. I use cash for most "typical" transactions. People are such lazy-asses these days, using CCs for every little purchase. When you dig in and find out how much data harvesting and selling goes on behind the...
Actually, it can be much longer distances. It doesn't take a ton of $ or talent to built a transceiver that can operate from a distance, as has been demonstrated in real life. The ability to capture any data that can potentially identify an individual wirelessly is dangerous. Especially things like passports when traveling to foreign countries, where Americans can be targeted. This isn't purely theoretical, it's a real danger. With passports in particular, even the...
I hope this is not something you're actually advocating. It's bad enough already, this scene you are describing is a nightmare. The privacy (and safety) issues with a system like that are mind-boggling.This is the kind of bullshit knee-jerk response that every thread like this gets. Cue the Beavis/Butthead voice: "huh huh, where's your tinfoil hat, heh huh". It's too bad you can't actually engage constructively on the topic.
Writing "check ID" on your card is a great first step. Of course, using your CC only when necessary is the next step. Why people need to use credit/debit cards for every little frickin' cup of coffee is beyond me. It's not hard to carry a few bucks in your pocket. Sheesh. You can (and SHOULD) request your CC issuer to provide you with a non-RFID card. I'm not sure if they are legally required to provide you with that option, but the issuers I'm aware of all provide...