or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Of course they are! The difference in this case is that I can easily avoid Apple's location tracking by simply not owning an iPhone. I do not own one, and will not until I can, as a user block that type of data. On the other hand, merely surfing the net normally gives google plenty of info unless you know a great deal about how to customize your computer and take extreme care about how you surf. Even then it's very difficult, plus other people pass personal info about...
So you should ask yourself this: If you were working in a gov't agency and wanted to get your hands on real-time location data for millions of people, how would you do it? This is not a rhetorical question. Private companies are pulling together massive amounts of personal data right now because people are willingly handing it over without considering what will happen to it over time. That's just foolish. Some of the most public-facing data can be found here:...
Hahahaha! You give your real phone # to pizza joints?? How quaint and naive. Yes, you're right, most of them package up this info and sell to others, including marketing firms. You are under no obligation to give them that data. Two pieces of advice, for those who care: 1) Do NOT give these clowns a real phone #. Most places never call it back to verify, it's only used as a unique identifier. Try it in advance of ordering something critical though, like a SuperBowl...
Hope you're joking, but if not, I can see this relationship is built on trust...
jragosta has it right. People, don't be stupid. When you use these services, you ARE giving up some of your most personal data (where and when you are in real-time) to a whole bunch of people you don't know -- inside Google (or Foursquare or whoever). And there is little in the way of protection if (more like when) they decide to start milking the value out of that data. Actually, they already are, but I mean via sharing or selling certain portions of that data. By...
Thank goodness there are others around with good taste. Coffee is shit-gross tasting. For people who are truly being honest, the vast majority (I'd guess close to 90%) had to acquire the taste for coffee. That doesn't mean it tastes good, that means that it's a combination of social acceptance and eventually mild addiction. Kinda sad when you think about it.Just thought I'd comment so you know you're not alone. And yes, we're definitely in the minority. Nothing...
I've never understood people who AREN'T into collectibles and such things! (seriously, it's very deeply ingrained, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a genetic influence)
Yup. Thankfully, AI is helping by putting this story out in front of the public. We need other media outlets to start reporting this out as well. Spread the word.The big deal is that they want to require this against the users' preferences. Apple is offering an opt-in, which is perfectly reasonable. By definition, if the publishers are pushing to get this user data via non opt-in methods when opt-in is available, then they are explicitly pushing for rules that run...
No kidding. Who will get the axe? A smartie-pants newbie that created an account a couple weeks ago with 15 posts, vs. a respected member of 3+ years with over 1,100 posts. Hmmm.This is a deal-breaker for me. Unless you're single, reading in bed with an external light is going to annoy the hell out of your spouse/partner/dorm-mate/whatever. I'm really (really) not a fan of glossy screens, but a Kindle is useless for reading in bed at night. Laptop works fine, iPad...
Oh come on, you mean iJet ! Actually, I like iFighter better.