or Connect

Posts by Blah64

You only think you haven't posted your home address. ;-)http://www.google.com/search?q=nyt+g...veal+more+wish click the first link, the New York Times article. Okay, maybe you don't post photos either, or you're smart enough and on the ball enough that you've already removed that info. Or you have an older camera (but that will change). But y'know, there are millions of people doing shit that they have no idea about.Heh. I enjoyed the humor there, it's cute. And...
The conversation here so far is hilarious. Facebook is a huge phenomenon, that's for sure. It fills a strong perceived need for people to be in constant contact with others, whether they're "real" friends or not. And it helps people feel important, and "tuned in". The problem is this folks: Facebook is not a benign entity. They do not exist to help you communicate with others. They exist to make a profit, and the way they do that is by extracting as much personal...
Indeed, nothing is perfectly secure. But storing documents in the cloud -- and working drafts, which is more scary, if you think about it -- is generally accretive to the security issues. Unless you dictate that the documents are not stored locally at all (which has a whole other set of issues), the local worries are still there, PLUS you've handed the virtual keys off to another organization. Trusting not only that their keys and methods are secure, but that 100% of...
There are certainly some types of documents where this is appropriate; stuff that is totally public in nature, and where it's not even an issue if the working drafts are seen by others. But that's far from typical. Are people just not bothered that their drafts and documents are sitting on public servers? Or are people really naive enough to believe that they're really secure? As a tech business owner, I will not do business with a company that does live work in the...
Following up along this line, one thing I recommend most people consider: Get an iTunes gift card, pay cash for it. Then open an iTunes account with this card and a new, single-purpose webmail account. It's a little tricky IIRC, but if you do it correctly (I know for a fact you could do this several months ago - I did it), you can open an account without a credit card or any other (verified) personal information. This allows you to legitimately purchase music and...
Thankfully, at least from this very small sample, you are in the minority.Why on earth do you think they would stop at age and gender? That's beyond naive, that's a joke.You are not too paranoid. And if you think Apple has your number, look at Google. Unless you take obscene measures, they know every search you've ever made, where and when and what. And because they also place ads on millions of other web sites, they know when and what sites you're visiting even when...
Good thing I read the rest of the posts before replying, you saved me the time to compose. I was about to make exactly the same points. What they're offering is more like a perpetual subscription, kinda-sorta. Business services are shut down all the time. Who was it (Microsoft?) that shut down some service a while back and basically killed everyone's "purchased" data. This kind of service is not even remotely of interest to me. If I'm not in possession of the data, I...
No camroid, as matt_s said, you're totally sane and probably one of the few people here with direct real-world experience in the matter. I don't hang around with shady folks at all, and in fact I'd be accused of the total opposite (!), but I've heard via "friends of friends" about some of the specifics of the bad side of this stuff. Knowing your regular schedule is enough to put you into a higher risk category, but passing out your whereabouts in real-time is insane.Yes...
From a conceptual standpoint, sure it would be really neat technology. So are some of the new man-made biotoxins, but I wouldn't advocate them for use by the general public! ;-) Yes, an extreme and kind of silly example, but I hope the point comes across that just because a new technology is amazingly cool doesn't mean it should be put into general use. Ever.And I'm not really talking about a particular product or implementation; I'm talking about two separate, but...
Well, there's no "absolute assurance" that your CC and other personal info will not be pilfered when you order stuff online, use a CC at a local merchant, or worst of all handing a CC to a waiter/waitress, who generally take it to another physical location where they are free to skim data.That said, having RFID chips embedded in practically anything that follows you around is a bad idea. Including drivers license, passports, credit cards, clothing (yes, that's coming,...