or Connect

Posts by Blah64

I've seen that quoted elsewhere, but where is it stated as more than rumor? It's also a very conveniently round number, that 10-1, I don't believe it. Do a bunch of googling and you'll find others who say matte outsold glossy by inverse ratios (various machines, not just Macs). Right now, of course glossy is outselling matte because that's what's more common in the stores. Because people like bright and shiny!
Wow, so easy to say, but a laptop is designed for mobility. Unless you have a fixed desk with ideal lighting, how are you supposed to achieve "not working in an environment that has a lot of light sources to create glare or reflections that would distract you"? I own a laptop so I can work wherever I'm at, be it in a client's office, a coffee shop, or at home. And "at home" can mean any comfortable seat in the house. Are you saying I should sacrifice all that...
You're going to be sorry... :-( I guess if you spend your hard-earned cash to buy it you might be able to convince yourself over time that you like it, but because you see the reflections now (unlike so many) I doubt you'll ever get around that. My suggestion? Look for a gently-used previous generation MBP w/matte screen. The newer screens may be brighter, but they have no less reflections than the previous version.
Ditto, ditto, ditto. Honestly, calibration is not a big deal for most people, although consumers tend to like things that are brighter and shinier, which the glossy screens are. I wonder if software developers are less able to turn off parts of their vision? ;-)I think teckstud has a good point (OMG!). If you have a bunch of people sitting in fixed positions, then at least one set of people (if not more) are not going to be able to see parts of the screen. That would...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! After reading the first 141 comments in this thread, that's the funniest one yet. The current displays are so reflective that they should be called the MacMirror Pro line. Seriously, you must be joking, right? Those are NOT low-glare screens, by any stretch of the imagination. I would love it if they kept the glass but upgraded it to something that's less reflective than a mirror, but that's just the way they are. You can argue that you don't care,...
It should be easy enough to determine if it's Flash or something else on your machine. Just disable plug-ins and run for a while. It's actually quite pleasant NOT having all the distracting/flashing/scrolling crap cluttering up the pages. It can't hurt for a few hours, and then you'd have your answer.
First, just to clarify, that was just an off-the-cuff statement I tossed in at the end. I'm not an expert on OLED at all, and I probably should have separated that from the rest of my rant. But my thinking (hoping) is that with the color range and such that they might look great to all types of users without any reflective surface treatment.People only touched my screens once. ;-) (After getting bitched out, they learned.) But perhaps this is another direction to have...
I paid for high-quality anti-glare CRTs. And where that wasn't always possible, many of us took great pains to adjust our working environments (and televisions, etc.) to reduce glare as much as possible. You may not have been around, but many professionals even used monitor "hoods" back in the day. It was also much easier to deal with when we all had fixed-desk working environments, and that's perhaps the biggest gripe about this asinine glossy fad. We are all mobile...
No it's not. I have been exclusively using Apple hardware since before many of the users here were born. Currently, they do not make a machine I can buy/use, at any price. That is inexcusable. There have been many surveys done, and while the fine precision of such surveys can be questioned, the overall results cannot be ignored. Close to half prefer matte screens, and there are LOTS of people that will not buy glossy at all. There is no justifiable reason to not at...
Fine. I will go look at the new ones firsthand some time in the next few days and report back here. My hopes are not high, but willing to go look for myself.