or Connect

Posts by Blah64

I did see that, and without seeing how it works in its entirety, that might be a good thing. If you enter the information on a web form for Apple to generate a certificate, there's a good chance that Apple gets that info, even if it's assumed to be for printing purposes only. No accusations on that part though, since I have not run through the process. My question was more about how people think about this topic. Do folks just enter other peoples' full names and...
Is anyone even a little bothered that Apple is asking you to give them personal information about another person? Or conversely, that Apple is tempting others to give your information to Apple. Granted, this not personal like health records, and in the case of an iPhone, we would expect that each user/email would be registered in Apple's massive databases, but what about iPod Touch owners? Many are kids/teens who own devices purchased by parents. Now Apple is luring...
Absolutely true, for most environments. But remember, there are other parts of the world where the humidity levels can reach the stratosphere on a regular basis. Singapore, for example:http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/07/...riggering.lsis It's a tricky situation. Manufacturers need to have these protections in place, but they aren't always perfect.
While the rest of Rdunn's post wasn't very clever, your response here was quite smartassian. So you don't worry about personal, or confidential, information being tossed around in the open?! See how the rolling eyes make me look like an ass? This might be a serious issue, depending on the technical details. This is a device that does a lot more than an iPhone; it has the ability to run a full suite of productivity apps allowing all manner of confidential data to be...
Totally agree. Thanks mods. You can put someone on an ignore list, but their posts are commonly quoted and hashed about. And as you aptly say, it sucks the oxygen out of the conversations. This said, can a moderator comment as to the reason for the ban? We may have been hoping for this for quite some time, but I didn't see anything that I would have expected to be a "last straw" post. Was it just a slow build-up until you couldn't stand it any longer? Also, speaking...
I totally agree with your worries about this, and I'm surprised it's not brought up more often. Flash is unnecessary in most cases, CPU intensive, battery-sucking, and more often than not the ads are frustratingly distracting. So Click-to-Flash is a savior. I couldn't live without it. So you can count me in the "I Hate Flash Fanclub". But I'm scared of the alternative, which may very well be even worse: flashing, scrolling, annoying HTML5 ads that we can no longer...
What you meant to type was "the obsessive security fears of older generation users *because*they*actually*do* understand how this sort of thing works." There, I fixed it for you. ;-)
What?!!! I haven't heard of this, can you point to information substantiating this claim? If this is true, it sets a terrible, terrible precedent. No company, including (especially) the OS-maker should be "phoning home", i.e. sending private information back to the company without the user's explicit acknowledgement. Ever. I will never run Windows on an unprotected (non-VM) machine because of this kind of crap, especially their so-called "activation". Why are people...
Interestingly, the above is pretty irrefutable proof that you are FAR from a typical consumer. You're a smart guy, and you "get" technology. But it appears you don't understand consumers (referring to the iPhone/fragmentation conversation). It doesn't matter if stores sold a completely pre-canned kit that contained exact matches for boards, processor, case, etc. 99% of consumers will NEVER purchase something like that. Ever. This is why Linux has such a hard time...
** Best Post I've Read In Months! ** Nice job. Unfortunately, there will still be people who just don't get it. But that's okay, it just proves that there are very different mindsets when it comes to purchasing and using technology.