or Connect

Posts by Blah64

This is a great conversation.Even if this were the case (and yes, I see Dick's follow-up post, digesting), merely sending a UUID could be considered problematic from a privacy standpoint. And yes, I do often come back to that standpoint, because for many people around the world it's not just "in theory", but a matter of real-world safety. Personal data is for sale by data brokers, and they don't give a rip about who wants it, just pony up the $19.99 (or much more,...
I think we should coin a new "law", like "Godwin's Law", whereby any conversation about privacy will eventually have someone make rude "tinfoil hat" comments. Let's call it the Tinfoil Law. Because god forbid there's any truth to the FACT that this kind of tracking and profiling takes place every single day on millions of peoples' phones (and traditional computers as well).You must be confusing me with another Blah64, there are so many of us with that name. I do...
 Thanks for this post (minus the too-long quote, which I'm doing as well ;-) ), it's informative. Some of what I'd previously read may have been in error.I continue to have concerns about how this tech may (probably will) be used in the future, but what you've posted here seems reasonable.This works for Apple because their primary goal is selling great, useful products to their users, not gathering their users' personal data for profiling purposes.
Let's hope this is true (and I imagine it will be).But now I'm faced with the choice of being physically tracked or using a bluetooth keyboard. Hmm. The real hope is that bluetooth can be enabled without enabling "beacon" functionality.Yes, most people are being tracked by their cell phone providers (and frankly the only way around that is to only use your mobile device anonymously, which is extremely difficult), but they cannot provide you service without a physical...
Why would I want to "be used to" having my physical location tracked, especially down to the meter (or less).The problem with all of this location stuff is that people are being trained to be sheep. To have themselves tracked and tagged 24/7, watching where they go and what they do. Correlating with purchases, what you watch on TV, where you work, what you do with your free time, the list goes on forever. That's not only dangerous (for some people), but demeaning and...
 I'm similarly frustrated, though I think I have a different take on it. Those of us that have been with Apple for many, many years, as I think you have, we've seen Apple blow things up and start fresh many times.  We don't need to look any further than OS X for that!  Usually things come out better, eventually, but there's a period of time where there's pain.  I think the people here who are complete fanboys (and many would put me in that category) are ignoring that...
Wow, is this really goodbye? I haven't signed in here much recently, so I just found this. I don't know if you're even going to see this, but I need to reply. Won't be organized or concise, but if I worry about that I'll never respond!I don't think any apology is necessary, nor did I feel like anything you posted (that I saw) was out of line. You're an opinionated and I'm guessing feisty (? :-) ) gal, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. I have a hard time...
I must say, this is the best line in this thread. And like you, I love letting others "beta test" stuff for me. When I was (much) younger I felt the pull to be on the bleeding edge, but so often it's just a huge time suck, and I don't really have interest spending time debugging early-release problems when I could instead be spending with my family or building something cool.So here's my question for you folks who are using the new release:Background: I don't use ANY...
Nice story, thanks for writing it up. I totally agree that people oversimplify the software patent/troll issue. Yes, they are misused, but patents can often be literally the ONLY way a small, innovator can carve out space for a new product.Back to this thread's topic,All this home automation (and other automation) stuff is cool and futuristic, blah blah blah. But there are big problems, some of which Maestro64 talks about, but there are more.The whole "take my keys,...