or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by Blah64

Desktop? Desktop? Is there really a desktop image behind all those reflections?!
I'm with ya bro. Not just for graphic work, but for anyone who doesn't have the odd genetic ability to mask out all the glare. 100% deal breaker.Then again, an Apple-branded external monitor is not critical - I can live with an "off-brand" monitor (although I'd prefer to buy Apple). The real problem is that the MacBook Pro models are ALL glossy-only. And there are no simple alternatives. I suspect it will be a pain in the ass buying a non-Apple laptop and hacking OS X...
Huh?? Not sure where you're going with this. Do you?Apple has grown for many reasons, in many markets. Rather than spell it all out in an essay, let's just summarize by saying they're building a quality product, and people are paying attention to that fact more and more. I can't imagine anyone would (seriously) say they are growing their market due to glossy screens!I agree that there really isn't any evidence to say that's true. However, sales matrices are not always...
Wow, talk about stretching credibility with poor analysis.... Let's turn the silly argument around the other way, shall we? Suppose for a moment that ALL of the people voting "Love glossy" or "Already bought glossy" wouldn't purchase a matte machine. Which, by the way, almost certainly hugely overstates the case. That totals to 23%, leaving the other 77% as willing to purchase matte. Wow, even a bigger "majority" than your scenario. Trying to flip it around like that...
Apple would be selling more units irrespective of the kind of screen. They have a superior OS, favorable media (finally), iPod/iPhone halo, etc. A valid question to ask would be: could they be selling even -more- units if they used matte instead of glossy? Or better yet, if they sold both? It's clear that user preference is fairly evenly split, with a pretty strong bias to the extreme on the dislike side of the equation. And allowing for matte does not entail...
This is of course true. If you are working in a proper, light-controlled environment, and have need for critical color work, then you want a CRT, or glass LCD. But for the other 99% of the world, that's mostly irrelevant and/or infeasible. And for those of us using laptops (i.e. most people now), we buy them so we are free to move around and use in all kinds of different locations and environments, therefore making the notion of an ideal lighting environment totally...
No, YOU hardly notice any reflection or glare. How is it that people can be so friggin' blind to the overpowering reflections on these screens?! Are you guys blind, or can you just selectively turn off certain receptors in your eyes and brain? You: Hey, aren't you going to clean up the graffiti all over the walls before I move in? Landlord: Nah, you'll hardly notice it. Just pretend it's not there. Really, you won't see it. You: Uh, okay.Crap, I am so tired of...
It doesn't cost you cash, but it isn't completely free. They want your personal information, and are willing to give you a free printer in exchange for it. Not worth it to me, so I either turn it down or see if someone else wants to "do the deal". And of course the printer manufacturers want you to get locked into buying their profit-generating cartridges, but that's another story...
Okay, sure. When I first read your comment it sounded like it was more about PithHelmet, but re-reading I can see that you're talking about the entire process, which I basically agree with, although I haven't had the same experience. Yet. ;-) Re: PithHelmet:Consider my solution - at least give it a try. Just turn off the #$!* plug-ins, period. Disabling Flash makes browsing the web such a much nicer experience it's not even funny. I find that it's the balance is just...
I'm with you. Right now, for the first time in my 29 years of buying Apple computers, Apple doesn't make a machine I can use. Worst decision they've made in many years. That said, I can't imagine they'll reverse that decision so quickly. I certainly hope that everyone that finds glossy unacceptable is making their case known to Apple so they can "fix" this terribly disappointing situation soon. There are a few polls out that show it's no tiny minority. Here's...
New Posts  All Forums: