or Connect

Posts by Blah64

I LOVE people making silly comments with nothing to back themselves up! ;-)Thank you addabox. It's a metaphor that's been around for at least 30 years that I know of personally, so probably much longer than that.Sorry, but you can't claim that your metaphor is the "real" one. Personally, I've never heard of the frog metaphor, although it seems like basically the same thing. But apparently, at least with frogs, it's a false metaphor, see:...
Because the Japanese don't mind having every aspect of their lives tracked and monitored. It seems there are many people here in the US that still don't "get" why that's not a good thing, but at least some moves are getting people to rethink whether this stuff is a good idea. Northern Arizona University is installing an RFID-based tracking system to monitor their students "to check class attendance". Does anyone think this is really necessary? And does anyone think it...
Who would trust their personally-identifiable (in theory) biometric information to their portable computing device? Especially one that's usually connected to the internet, and (without adding extra 'firewall-ish' software) regularly communicates with various sites behind your back, including Apple. If this were available today, and worked reasonably well as a personal identifier, how many of you would actually use it? I'll cast the first vote: Nope, never, no way.
With forums or shopping sites like Amazon, that's true only if you're foolish enough to allow them to track you by signing in and carrying persistent cookies around willy-nilly and/or use the same IP all the time, etc. I browse Amazon, anonymously, but I don't purchase from them for exactly the reason elroth states above: I don't want stores tracking me and my purchases. It's just creepy. You're right about gmail and other web email, because there's usually enough...
Abso-frickin-lutely! Others? What do you guys think? It really seems that many people (especially younger folks) are either in a huge hurry (sub-seconds count!), lazy and/or unconcerned about privacy. In so many ways. Why would anyone allow ANY large data-mining company to track your movements? And or individual aggregated/disaggregated purchasing habits, etc., etc.Many (MANY) kids don't seem to care, but for generations people have fought for freedom from this type...
Here, here! Someone who actually "gets it". There's a reason that allowing location information has to be explicitly enabled by individual users. BECAUSE IT'S INVASIVE! Except for emergency services, where special privileges exists. If someone wants to open up their life to physical tracking, go for it. But leave me out, and make sure there is a way to use products without invasive requirements. Just like with the iPod Touch, until there is a jailbreak available, and I...
Okay, that makes sense. But still doesn't answer my main question for people here: did you, or would you, ask your recipient before sending their personal information to a 3rd party (Apple, in this case). And where would you draw the line? If it required more information about your recipient, would you still think it's okay to enter it into a 3rd party's web form? I think many (most?) people would, and our society is changing (for the worse). If you walked into your...
I did see that, and without seeing how it works in its entirety, that might be a good thing. If you enter the information on a web form for Apple to generate a certificate, there's a good chance that Apple gets that info, even if it's assumed to be for printing purposes only. No accusations on that part though, since I have not run through the process. My question was more about how people think about this topic. Do folks just enter other peoples' full names and...
Is anyone even a little bothered that Apple is asking you to give them personal information about another person? Or conversely, that Apple is tempting others to give your information to Apple. Granted, this not personal like health records, and in the case of an iPhone, we would expect that each user/email would be registered in Apple's massive databases, but what about iPod Touch owners? Many are kids/teens who own devices purchased by parents. Now Apple is luring...
Absolutely true, for most environments. But remember, there are other parts of the world where the humidity levels can reach the stratosphere on a regular basis. Singapore, for example:http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/07/...riggering.lsis It's a tricky situation. Manufacturers need to have these protections in place, but they aren't always perfect.