or Connect

Posts by Blah64

re: "will allow customers at participating retailers to check out without swiping a credit card or handing over cash." What the FU*K is wrong with our society now?! Do people really think swiping a card or handing over cash is that difficult? I am beyond words. Related: looks like the Target Breach has convinced some people of the benefits of using cash. Some customers turn to cash in wake of Target security breach (among many such stories). Not to mention the...
As someone in your described demographic, I'd love to be able to monitor various aspects of my health, but no way no how would I ever allow that data to be hosted or analyzed by any 3rd party. That's a hard stop, end of story. It's difficult to impossible to anonymize data when it comes from or through your mobile device. Merely attaching location information to this data is enough to identify individuals with a very high probability of success.What someone needs to...
Totally agree.Sounds like you've downloaded? Can you play the game "offline"? I disable all internet connectivity before playing any games, thanks to all the obnoxious "spyware" crap installed in so many games these days. Before I even consider downloading I'd like to know if it's playable without connectivity.
 Acxiom is the devil.  Yes, the data brokers are indeed Really, Really Bad, perhaps the worst of breed among the personal data harvesting/using/selling paths.  I totally agree on this part. What I don't agree with is that just because one party is worse, that other parties are a-okay.  Again, the only way people can prevent abuse of their personal data is by not sharing it out with commercial organizations, to the degree humanly possible.  Even the data that you think...
 I agree that anonymous (not anonymized, that implies after-the-fact) data gathering and analysis is okay.  That has existed for decades. But that's not the trend of what's happening now, on the commercial side.  It's all about very personal, individualized data. Bingo.  It's an important question to ask, and one that has ramifications for quite literally the rest of our lives and the lives of our children.  My views are strong on this topic exactly because of that; the...
 I too doubt many politicians went through it in detail and/or gave it much in the way of deep thought.  But there were almost certainly people in "the agencies" that did, and it was almost certainly authored with a great deal of input by them.  I'm not even saying they were wrong to push for what they did, as it fits their interests, but I think oversight of these matters is incredibly weak and uninformed.  Things need to be clarified and tightened down a lot.  It won't...
What I really wish people would understand is that the only way to stop the data gathering and sophisticated analysis of individual behavior (and predictive behavioral analysis, yes Minority Report-esque) is by shutting it down at the source - i.e. not letting it get gathered in the first place.   That means commercial data harvesting, because that's where 95% of it comes from.  You may fear the government more, but they are not, for the most part, the gatherers of this...
 I think it's naive to believe that many of these open-ended provisions weren't included with intent.  By your wording, I suspect that you have similar concerns.
It isn't always an question of either-or, sometimes the correct answer is both! ;-)
Trust me, I'm working on mitigating (no way to totally stop) the effects of the coming tidal wave as well, this is just a nitpicky side conversation. I would personally never use any product like this, and if it becomes pervasive and hidden in apps I'm pretty sure I can just disable bluetooth entirely. But yeah, I certainly understand what you're saying.However, your next comment:I live in California where the state sells personal information gathered from individuals.I...