or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Ha.  I would write this almost 180 degrees the other way.  I don't care what MY computer knows about me, because it's operating within my control (yes, I use various tools to control inbound and outbound data), but in general I don't want most computers (I think you meant web sites) to remember me at all -- except when I explicitly want them to.  Creepsville.    I don't have to imagine having to sign in every time I come here, because that's exactly what happens and...
      But your response targeted such a wafer-thin slice of what I wrote.  How about addressing stuff like:   a) the manifesto: NO company or organization anywhere should have the breadth and depth of data that Google has on citizens around the world.  Even if their intent and past-records were sparklingly clean (and they're not anymore), it's just too dangerous, and it's only getting worse.   I've found that when I explain this to people (educated, but not necessarily...
  What would possibly give you the idea that I've exempted Apple?!  The statement is absolute.  The entire post I wrote makes it very clear that I do NOT exempt Apple, otherwise I would be happily using Siri and every other damn thing they provide.  The difference, as has been pointed out to you many times is that Apple is in the business of selling hardware.  Even if they do collect and use people's personal data, I don't give a shit because I can enjoy their product...
  Ah, but that's a Samsung product, not a Google product.  ;-)       Understood, and you have a point.  But still, Apple basically sells hardware, with services that make the hardware more appealing.  So I use a hardware purchase for that side's comparison (and some apps, for good measure).  Google, on the other hand, is basically a services company.  They're not even selling their operating system, they're giving it away.  So for that side we should use services for...
Anyone else see this as a minus-sign error?   :-P   Almost serious, look how close all the other #s are.  Very weird.
  I'll handle this.  As we've discussed before, here's a full and complete list of all the real, personal data Apple requires to purchase their devices and buy apps from their App Store.   #1) Uh, actually there is no #1.   Apple requires absolutely no real, personal data to use their devices and purchase and enjoy apps.  All you need to do is not use a credit card to purchase your device (just use cash or you can always buy from craigslist), then buy iTunes gift cards....
  Great post, the last paragraph in particular, and this is what I've told many people in recent years (those that aren't so closed-minded that they won't listen):  NO company or organization anywhere should have the breadth and depth of data that Google has on citizens around the world.  Even if their intent and past-records were sparklingly clean (and they're not anymore), it's just too dangerous, and it's only getting worse.     I'm glad more people are finally...
  So how do you deal with email in general?  Do you use a free email service like gmail/hotmail/whatevermail?  I presume not.   I'd guess that you use private ISP-based email, or perhaps even host your own, from what you're saying here.  But the next level problem, of course, is that other people use those services and email stuff to you.  Which gives google, yahoo, microsoft information about YOU and your social graph and your interests, etc., indirectly, and without...
    Ireland is right to worry about use of email address, but consumers have a bit more power with that side than location.  On the downside, if you use one email address, or just a couple, then it's possible for many, many companies to use that in an invasive way, tracking much of what you do/see/visit online.  It can also tie your online and offline worlds together when you give an email address to retailers, and large surveillance companies like facebook and google...
  This is a great personal story, thanks for sharing.     Most of us are basically anonymous here (some more than others, heh), but it also feels like a weird, dysfunctional family as well, where many of us "know" each other.  After years of reading/writing (mostly reading, in my case), I'm sure most of us have learned about/created interesting personalities for the other active members.  I don't recall ever hearing the story above before, but it bumps my impression of...