or Connect

Posts by Blah64

I think it's naive to believe that many of these open-ended provisions weren't included with intent.  By your wording, I suspect that you have similar concerns.
It isn't always an question of either-or, sometimes the correct answer is both! ;-)
Trust me, I'm working on mitigating (no way to totally stop) the effects of the coming tidal wave as well, this is just a nitpicky side conversation. I would personally never use any product like this, and if it becomes pervasive and hidden in apps I'm pretty sure I can just disable bluetooth entirely. But yeah, I certainly understand what you're saying.However, your next comment:I live in California where the state sells personal information gathered from individuals.I...
I suppose the time had to come where I agree with a GatorGuy post. Cats and dogs..... Dick, much of what GatorGuy wrote here gets to the "meat" of what I'm trying to get at. Apple has created some kind of reference model, and they may stick with best practices themselves, but I don't see anything on the technology side you're describing so far that leads me to believe a system like this won't be abused. Yes, Apple has a pretty good curation system, but it doesn't stop...
I agree with you for now, and I don't want to see things change, but jakeb has a point.How many people here remember when cell phones were first coming into popularity? It was a HUGE faux pas in many circles to be seen or heard using them. I got scowls and less-than-nice comments from random people in public, and even verbal reprimands from relatives. Not because I was being loud or obnoxious, but because it was considered pretentious and just plain "not cool" to be...
Hear hear!If I could vote your post up x10 I'd do it.
The difference between "identify" and "differentiate" is a very fine line when it comes to tracking/profiling/privacy. Profiling/marketing companies spend huge $ and development effort to bridge that gap wherever possible.So this is exactly the methodology I'm concerned by, although it's possible there still may be something I'm missing, because of your last clause here.Is it not possible for an app to generate a UUID of its own, based on communication with its own home...
This is a great conversation.Even if this were the case (and yes, I see Dick's follow-up post, digesting), merely sending a UUID could be considered problematic from a privacy standpoint. And yes, I do often come back to that standpoint, because for many people around the world it's not just "in theory", but a matter of real-world safety. Personal data is for sale by data brokers, and they don't give a rip about who wants it, just pony up the $19.99 (or much more,...
I think we should coin a new "law", like "Godwin's Law", whereby any conversation about privacy will eventually have someone make rude "tinfoil hat" comments. Let's call it the Tinfoil Law. Because god forbid there's any truth to the FACT that this kind of tracking and profiling takes place every single day on millions of peoples' phones (and traditional computers as well).You must be confusing me with another Blah64, there are so many of us with that name. I do...
 Thanks for this post (minus the too-long quote, which I'm doing as well ;-) ), it's informative. Some of what I'd previously read may have been in error.I continue to have concerns about how this tech may (probably will) be used in the future, but what you've posted here seems reasonable.This works for Apple because their primary goal is selling great, useful products to their users, not gathering their users' personal data for profiling purposes.