or Connect

Posts by Blah64

Agree 100%.  Same for cookies.  Unfortunately, the general population is 1) too lazy, and 2) not smart enough to deal with this.  Web companies, data collectors, spyware, and malware in general will always be around to take advantage of any and all technologies that they can, regardless of the original intent.  Cookies were never intended to track users from site to site in perpetuity, but enterprising (amoral) companies figured out how to do it.  Flash was even more...
  Unfortunately, this is a case of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" ! ;-)     Please tell me you understand that Location Services are just one way for Google to track your location.  WiFi access points, email content, etc. are all used to determine not only your current location, but your likely soon-to-be locations.  Perhaps you don't care, but Google is really, really good at this stuff.  It's part of how they make billions of dollars every year while other...
  No, serving up ads is practically a "who cares".  The worst that can happen?   - Goog management changes (and that WILL happen), bringing usage and policy changes; - laws can change to allow unfettered access to that data by any government agency (probably will happen at some point, given the trajectory our nation is on); - big break-ins do happen (has already happened at some level, by Chinese interests)   There are many bad things that can happen merely by having that...
  Thanks for a thoughtful reply.  Too often there are knee-jerk "oh yeah?!" responses these days.   As for not being worried about the data you're sharing with Google, I think you would be surprised at the amount of data you're truly sharing, as much of it is not as readily visible as people think.  Unless you're super-diligent (read: borderline obsessive), Google has its fingers in almost everything people do online these days.  Unless you delete cookies immediately...
  It's amazing that anyone actually still says this.  The "I have nothing to hide" argument has been debunked repeatedly over the years.  You have only to do a quick search for ( "nothing to hide" argument ) to find dozens of writeups explaining why that's BS.  Please read at least a couple.  People have different comfort levels of what they're willing to share, but everyone has things they don't want shared with others.  If you really mean what you say, please post a...
  Seriously, how is it you're posting here on AI, but apparently don't read tech news?   Google and Amazon are perfectly willing to sell at breakeven, or even at a loss.  With Google, you are buying their product so they can sell you (in essence, don't get pedantic).  Every unit they sell is increasing their inventory (their user base), so their profit maximization point is right around or just below breakeven. Amazon is similar, but they're selling a device that gives...
  Not 20 minutes ago, I just threw away a crappy 3rd party video adapter (mini-displayport --> HDMI), because it just flat out doesn't work. That'll teach me to try to save a few bucks buying via craigslist.  Yeah, Apple products, including cables, really are better than cheap, off-brand crap.   Edit: I guess this is a little different issue from Apple's strategic decisions around Lightning, but the timing of reading this right after tossing that cable in the garbage was...
  It's very, very rare that I disagree with your posts here on AI, but I totally disagree with this comment.   Background: I've been purchasing and using Apple products since before Macs existed, using Macs since 1985.  I can't even count the number of Macs I've bought and owned over the years; I can see 6 from where I'm sitting right now -- and that's the view from my frickin' dining room!   I have never, ever purchased AppleCare, and I am literally thousands of dollars...
  Oh, and I'd never use this dictation crap in any case.  Never going to send Apple my voiceprint, just to (potentially) save a few keystrokes.  It's so sad how everyone turns over their entire fucking lives and identity to a handful of internet powerhouse companies.  Yes, Apple is an internet company these days, almost as much as Google, Yahoo, etc. 
  Yup, just like internet access would never be a requirement for getting something as simple as Finder help.  Seriously, I'm in the process of setting up a new machine with Mountain Lion, just clicked the Help menu in the Finder and almost nothing is available.  I can see the machine attempting to hit the network, but no help seems to be available locally.  WTF?!  Ridiculous.   I can just hear some punk-ass kids saying "what kind of computer would ever not have constant,...