or Connect

Posts by Blah64

YES!  This is the problem with today's careless society.  It wasn't long ago when you would never have to be concerned with your friends giving your personal information to various corporations, because they would just never dream of it.  Now it's the ugly norm.  People are only concerned with their convenience, and you have to constantly remind people if you don't want to be in some third-pary corporate storehouse of personal data, and even still, some people can't get...
  If you're really on a school board, I hope you think twice about this and educate your fellow board members about the risks of kids under the age of 13 hosting their documents on public servers.  First, kids under the age of 13 are legally restricted from using a lot of online services.  I haven't delved into iCloud ToS, but kids cannot use Google Docs and similar services for good reason.   I would highly recommend talking with your district's legal team about whether...
  +1 for working offline.   I can't understand why people would put any documents that aren't completely public "in the cloud", ever.   I understand the appeal, but there are a lot of things that sound cool and shiny until you dig under the hood and think about long-term effects.  Like Google services, ugh.   It's fine that Apple creates additional productivity tools for different markets and usage scenarios, but apparently they are doing so at the expense of the current...
  I hope you encouraged here AWAY from Teach For America, toward some of the education measures that actually exist to help kids, not adults.   It has been incredibly disappointing to see such an influential person fall victim to thinking that this organization is still good.  They started out many years ago with a real desire (I believe) to help kids in need, but they have grown into a monster that only serves as a stepping stone for young, well-off adults, on their way...
  If you think simply creating an account under a false name doesn't give Facebook lots of information about you, then you are sadly selling them short.  Unless you use extreme (tinfoil level, which isn't always a bad thing) care and diligence, Facebook, Google and other personal profile-generating sites can make very good guesses about who you are, no matter what fake FB name you use.   Think about it.  Do you have any "real" friends on this fake account?  Your social...
  Ha.  I would write this almost 180 degrees the other way.  I don't care what MY computer knows about me, because it's operating within my control (yes, I use various tools to control inbound and outbound data), but in general I don't want most computers (I think you meant web sites) to remember me at all -- except when I explicitly want them to.  Creepsville.    I don't have to imagine having to sign in every time I come here, because that's exactly what happens and...
      But your response targeted such a wafer-thin slice of what I wrote.  How about addressing stuff like:   a) the manifesto: NO company or organization anywhere should have the breadth and depth of data that Google has on citizens around the world.  Even if their intent and past-records were sparklingly clean (and they're not anymore), it's just too dangerous, and it's only getting worse.   I've found that when I explain this to people (educated, but not necessarily...
  What would possibly give you the idea that I've exempted Apple?!  The statement is absolute.  The entire post I wrote makes it very clear that I do NOT exempt Apple, otherwise I would be happily using Siri and every other damn thing they provide.  The difference, as has been pointed out to you many times is that Apple is in the business of selling hardware.  Even if they do collect and use people's personal data, I don't give a shit because I can enjoy their product...
  Ah, but that's a Samsung product, not a Google product.  ;-)       Understood, and you have a point.  But still, Apple basically sells hardware, with services that make the hardware more appealing.  So I use a hardware purchase for that side's comparison (and some apps, for good measure).  Google, on the other hand, is basically a services company.  They're not even selling their operating system, they're giving it away.  So for that side we should use services for...
Anyone else see this as a minus-sign error?   :-P   Almost serious, look how close all the other #s are.  Very weird.