or Connect

Posts by dr_lha

It looks like Apple have also improved their maps data also. I had previously commented (and was bizarrely ridiculed for) that TomTom's data was pretty bad and out of date, mainly that there was a road near me that was completely missing (but was in 3 year old satellite pictures). Now that road is there, and also another nearby road that only opened in the last 4 months, with better accuracy than Google. I wonder if TomTom upped their game in anticipation of the release of...
  WTF is your point here?  The fact that the road doesn't exist according to TomTom clearly doesn't stop me cycling down it, what an asinine thing to say, I already said that I cycle down it every day.   My point is that TomTom's information lags behind Google's and others (MapQuest for example, and OpenStreetMaps). Like it or not, people use GPS directions to get places. If you live on that street, and the person visiting you is using iOS6 for directions, they can't find...
It's not just international coverage though, TomTom's maps (in the USA at least) significantly lag others, including Google. For example, the road I cycle down every morning to go to work, according to TomTom (and Apple's new Maps app), does not exist. Most damningly, when you turn on the satellite hybrid view, the road, fully populated with houses, can be clearly seen in the satellite imagery that Apple is using (much higher resolution than Googles for the record), but...
It's not really an Apple TV though is it? For one thing, it doesn't need to be plugged into a TV, and it's got an amp built in. It seems to be Google's attack on Airplay more than Apple TV (as far as I can see this thing doesn't have any actual user interface, that's all controlled by the phone/tablet). Certainly an odd device, for $299 it's hard to see what market they're going for. Weird.
  Given that we're talking Bluetooth integration here, does that really matter? All the dock connector needs to do is provide power.
At the oath you renounce your foreign citizenship, but as it turns out the State Department has a much more "open" feeling about dual citizenship. The Supreme Court has ruled that dual citizenship is allowed so that declaration during the oath is essentially meaningless. You're free to continue maintaining your UK citizenship (by updating your passport if you like). I understand if you wish to take the oath "seriously" and not do this though. The State Department's...
FYI, its Enyo 1.0, not 2.0. 2.0 was announced by HP, but will not likely be out for a while, 1.0 was just open sourced.
"Its design is less than 18 millimeters thin" Please, lets not let marketing speak pervade our language here. It's less than 18 millimeters *thick*.
Meanwhile, Machinarium, a lovely but decidedly 2D game based on AIR requires an iPad 2 to even run. Adobe, their software is always *going* to be awesome.
\ I really like mine. Sure its a bit rough around the edges (the web browser rendering can be a bit shoddy sometimes), but webOS is genuine attempt (unlike Android) to do something different from iOS, and I was surprised how non-junky the tablet was in its default (3.0.2) configuration given all the moaning I'd heard on the web. The TouchPad is far from a "pig". The OS needs some TLC (upgrading the WebKit to the latest version with improved Javascript performance would...