or Connect

Posts by dr_lha

Works the same way in the USA too, but the iPhone isn't subsidized so you just have to pay full price, there is no "upgrade". That "certain period of time" in the USA is generally at the end of your 2 year contract, but I believe some cell phone providers will allow you to upgrade earlier if you extend your contract another 2 years.
Why should early adopters get such an upgrade? Has any cell phone company or cell phone manufacturer ever offered such a thing in the history of mankind? No. Then why should Apple? Also, I believe you're free to buy a second generation iPhone whenever you like, all that will happen is that your contract will be extended another 2 years from when you sign up the new phone. It works like this because AT&T do not subsidize the iPhone. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong...
So by "LCD" in the AppleTV I wonder if they mean: The next AppleTV will actually be a TV, or do they just mean something like a small clock/channel type display on the AppleTV?
Cool, I'll check it out, although the screenshots on their website still look the same as the last version I tried. That said, I still don't think there's any compelling reason to use it if I already have Office 2004.
Well my work gives me Office 2004 "for free" (they pay for it of course, but I don't have to), so there is no real compelling reason for me to use NeoOffice. I can't say the same for something like Keynote, which is genuinely better than Powerpoint, so much so that I bought it out of my own pocket to use for work. Pages hasn't reached that point where it can replace Word sadly, I hope it will in future, but for now I'm stuck with Word. Oh, and to be honest I've found...
Well nobody would use Quark to write a book or a scientific paper. The issues I've had is that publishers have sent me a ".dot" Word template and told me to send them either a completed word document or a PDF file generated from that .dot file, which they use for direct publication. Opening the ".dot" file in Pages simply doesn't work, all the margins and the page size was wrong. OO2.2 would probably have done it, but given the choice between OpenOffice or Word on a Mac,...
Ever had to submit a Word Document for publication in a journal or a book? Ever had to produce a format specific galley proof from a Word Document template given to you by a publisher? No? Then Pages will be fine for you. For those of us who need to actually use a Word Processor for a living, its not up to the job sadly. This is what people mean when they say that "Pages isn't enough". In a Word dominated world, nothing less than 100% Word compatibility will do for people...
Pretty much nothing touches LaTeX for publishing, but there's a reason for that, LaTeX is powerful but un-userfriendly, and most of all its aimed at professionals and not home users. If you think that Pages is ever going to be an adequate replacement for LaTeX, you're sorely mistaken. Pages is great for the home user, and is starting to get some professional level features (e.g. tracking changes), but its got a long way to go before its even close to Word in terms of being...
Its a lot better than VHS, but I must admit that I wonder this myself. I just can't see the value proposition of spending $15 on an iTunes movie, compared to spending $15 on a DVD. TV shows for $2 are impulse purchases and there's few other way to buy individual episodes, and iTunes albums are mostly cheaper than CDs, but Movies for $15, I just don't get it.
I believe the other "Visual Voicemail" might be non-related to cell phones, for example AT&T's VOIP phone systems (much as these guys are also suing cable companies over VOIP "visual voicemail").