or Connect

Posts by staypuffinpc

great insight. I agree that it's not a superset relationship and see it more as a Venn-like relationship. I also wonder at what levels it helps people (if at all). For example, though I did well in math in HS, I never really understood functions. When I began to program in college (very simple programming, mind you--all hypercard-like stuff w/ Runtime Revolution), I suddenly understood more about functions in ways that I hadn't in school. Stupidly simple, but it helped me...
Interesting observation. We just had a discussion yesterday on whether things go both directions or not. Why do you s'pose math folks have an easier time at it, in your opinion?
Folks, I realize this isn't a programming site, but it's probable that there are many subscribers that have some degree of programming skill (from little to 'I live and breathe it') on here. A graduate student of mine is conducting a study on the perceived effects learning to program has on mathematical ability. It's a short (10-15 min) survey. If you're interested, you can access it here: https://byu.qualtrics.com/SE?SID=SV_...Pj6s&SVID=Prod BTW, it's also a...
Yes, that worked—until I tried to add a timestamp criterion to it. I'm guessing that you went in and modified the search criteria in the actual text file itself. So, I opened it up in TextWrangler and added a time criteria to it (I tried just adding it using the buttons, but that messed things up and returned nothing). I added the following code in the array after the other search...
It's thereThanks, that works for this new folder. I was trying to find something like this after first choosing "kind." However, this does not make the default Kind = Documents return MS Word files.I did that and get the same results. So, I'm still confused, but you've provided me with a way to just show MS word files. I'd like to still have a single folder that shows me my most recently modified pdfs and .docs. Since the + means AND, there's no way to do this (I wish...
When I first got OS X 10.4 last year, I immediately set up a smart folder to show me the most recently modified documents (one that actually works). It worked great for about 6 months or so and then suddenly stopped showing .doc files. I can't figure out how to get my MS Word files, which, other than pdfs, are really what I need, to appear. Any ideas?
Kikacha mentions:I did and it doesn't work in Firefox. I tried it with a number of images in and with iPhoto closed and with it running and it never worked in Firefox. The same thing always worked in Safari (hence, a good example of Apple making two of their products work happily together). Didn't work in Camino 1.0b2, either. Interestingly enough, it did work in 5.2 Go figure. Just thought I'd point it out.
All right, so let's say I swallow my pride and try and break into iPhoto. You've mentioned a lot of things I haven't considered. So, is there a good "iPhoto tips and tricks" resource for those of us thinking of getting started in iPhoto that you know of?
Kickacha, Thanks again for the involved response. I've pretty much treated things as you've suggested and just not used iPhoto (which is fine, since it means I don't use it to import the millions of pictures I'll never look at—I put those on my desktop and just put the ones I need on my mac). My inquiry now is b/c I'm starting to think that I would like to use it more. Perhaps I'll just suck it up and try it for a while. Another use that I didn't mention that...
Thanks for taking the bullet and starting things off. I think it's safe to say that enough people have commented on the naming structure of iPhoto to assume that it's not the best convention in the world. You're suggestion about emailing a photo assumes I'm working from within the place I am using to browse photos, which is only the case when I'm working from my photos and want to send them out to someone. But what often happens is that I am working from within my mail...