or Connect

Posts by backtomac

I agree with all of that. I would add that I'm very surprised that the Nokia WP7 phones didn't do a little better. 1 million units since November is poor and I don't see any silver lining there. I didn't expect sales to light the world on fire but I did think that they would be better than that, at least 3 million units over the holiday season. Even that would only have been 10% of iPhone sales. That's pretty grim news for MS and Nokia.
I think you nailed it.
I expect the next iPhone to be offered on T-Mobile's network. Apple will bend them over just like they did Sprint and get them to commit to buying a large number of iPhones that will make this deal a no brainer... for Apple.
Shopping at Best Buy is a ghetto experience. Target is hardly worse, probably better. Here's an interesting take on Best Buy, FWIW.
I thought this was a good idea 5 years ago. PS, I told you so MEL!
I just watched the remake of True Grit by the Coen brothers and they actually list that the movie was edited in Final Cut in the credits at the end of the movie. I found that a bit odd because I can't remember ever seeing that in the movie credits.PS Wasn't the LOTR series edited in Final Cut?
Depending upon what the ipad 3 turns out to be, ie quad core cpu with retina display, I'm not sure that the iPad 2 at $399 would sell that well or blunt sales of the Kindle Fire. It probably would make an upsell to an iPad 3 easier but Apple really ought to try to take some of the momentum out of the Kindle Fire. If a $299 iPad 2 isn't achievable for Apple then hopefully they'll get it down to $349 or $329.
I'm sure that there are some families with $600 or $700 budget that will go ahead and get an iPad. But I'll bet there are plenty who simply won't. Just who do you think bought those 4 million Kindles in December? If they sell the iPad 2 at $399, that will help quite a bit. It would be even better if they could get down to $299. The iPad 2 is still a very capable tablet and should be for some time. It would be insane to just discontinue it once the iPad 3 is available....
I'd really like to see 16 gbs of flash for that machine at that price but I'm not sure Apple could manage that price. Then again 16 gbs of flash ought to cost what 8 gbs of flash cost 2 years ago when the original iPad came out.
I'm with you on this one. Ars is reporting that Amazon sold 4 million Kindles in December. While they didn't break out how many sold were Fires I think its safe to assume that its not an insignificant number. I bet a $299 iPad 2 would blunt the sales of the Fire.... and fast too. It would also give MS quite a bit of heart burn as well with Win 8 coming out sometime in 2012. That would make it much more difficult for Win 8 tablets to gain traction.