or Connect

Posts by ak1808

They are releasing these statements to puff up their "negotiation power". Makes total sense. Three months ago "European network providers" called Apple "arrogant" and their demands "ridiculous" in the press. And now? Everybody is happy. I don't know whether Apple will make a step towards them or they towards Apple, but it is clearly all rhethoric at this point. Of course they will share the revenue, and sell locked SIMs, if the deal is sweet enough for them!
I wanted to write my diploma thesis in Pages. It didn't work: I am required to use tiered numbers for my headings (like 2.1, 2.2., 2.2.1). Although Pages supports that in theory it is a) very difficult to set up b) doesn't work reliably when switching heading styles c) doesn't work reliably at all in the auto-generated table of contents I could do it all manually in Pages, but in Word the number management is a snap to set up and works 100%. What I hate about Word is its...
hilarious
When you run out of physical memory, the OS moves the application into virtual memory, that is, onto the disk. Virtual memory is, for practical purposes, unlimited. When you switch to the app, it shouldn't make a (speed) difference whether the OS has to pull it out of virtual memory (=disk) or launch it (=disk). When you are not using an app for a long time, the OS could choose to save it's state and quit the application. But it should do this transparently to the user. I...
I noticed that with Spaces and my new, bigger screen I quickly start to have almost my entire dock of applications running. And it actually seems like there is virtually no performance hit. Can some OS expert among you confirm that? If I don't use an app for a while, OS X moves it to virtual memory anyway, so RAM is only used for the really active ones. When you switch to an app, does it matter whether it loads from disk or get's shuffled out of virtual memory...
I think now you are being sarcastic
The loading bar was fake only anyway. It was a "placebo" loading bar that just sweetend the waiting time. No the waiting time got so tiny on modern systems, it wasn't necessary anymore.
The situation in Tiger: Flash performance was poor. On all computers I tested (MacBook, MacBook Pro, iBook 12", iBook 14"), playing a YouTube video would make the fans spin up fairly quickly. While playing Flash games setting the graphic quality to low was highly recommended. Sometimes even reading AppleInsider would make the fans go wild, because of a Flash-based advertisement on the site. Flash version was 9.0.47. The situation in Leopard: No more spinning fans....
OT: The embedded YouTube video in the article makes my MacBook fans go max speed. I am running Leopard. Does anyone else have that issue? Generally I found Flash performance to be much improved in Leopard.
Can someone give me a concrete example of how they use spaces? I set up 4 spaces: One for communication, one for my work, one for browsing the web and one empty as a reserve. Then someone called me on Skype while I was working. He sent me a couple of links which made me switch spaces automatically, back and forth. Someone next to me startet talking to me at the same time and distracted me. A process on my work space required my attention as it couldn't complete. All the...