or Connect

Posts by Marvin

And say what exactly? People always come up with these options like 'get to a suicide hotline immediately'. What are the people on the other end of the phone supposed to say or do? Until they can assess there's potential harm, they can't do anything. If the person was willing to be helped, they'd seek out help from the people closest to them rather than confide in a complete stranger.I had a doctor ask me once if I worried about things. I thought for a bit and said 'yeah,...
I would say it's screwed up to consider that life will always eventually have a Disney ending and that pro life is always the best option. There's a kid here who had a condition where his skin fell off leaving him with sores over his body. Every day he had to live in bandages and pain. I consider forcing someone to live like that to be torture:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z80nLOPJaZUThere was a girl here travelling as a passenger in a car, hit by a drunk driver and she...
I think Tim would take it in his stride, he's a fitness guy - he probably takes cold showers every day at 4:30am. Bill Gates on the other hand is a dweed. Here's him getting hit with a pie:I love the newscaster's serious tone: "no word on the motive for this attack". Is hilarity a suitable motive?The people donating could of course just give the cash but it's to encourage other people to join in. Giving cash is boring and it's why cash isn't usually regarded as a good...
This was before the Retina model, which is thinner and cooler. The Retina model even has 2 fans and additional cooling vents.The Macbook Pro can dissipate heat just fine now. It can cool down from burning hot to cool to touch within seconds of the heavy processing finishing. The Iris Pro model will make up the bulk of sales now and they'll be fine.
trapped (træpt) adjectiveunable to escape, as from a situationI used that word in the analogy because a state of mind is similarly inescapable. Mind-altering chemicals give a temporary escape.Why is it any different from doing anything else? It's your life, I say it's your choice what you do with it. You're not a possession or accountable to anyone for your own existence.Financially, the family should be ok - he even set up trust funds for his kids. They're losing...
If the phone has never been synced to a computer before, it should just sync up ok on a computer but it will warn if it won't do that. If it has been synced to a computer before, it will try to wipe it if synced to a new one but it'll tell you before it does it. There's a guide here on what to do in the latter situation:https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3141I don't like Apple's way of wiping devices. I don't see why they can't allow devices to sync to multiple...
I don't think he could have said he was satisfied with the numbers from a PR point of view. That was the point I was making about dishonesty. The video they've shown demonstrates that they already have a diverse workforce but it would come across wrong if he said he was happy with a majority white male workforce. I doubt they'll change their hiring policies to exclude the best candidates but it depends on if they plan to do follow-up numbers in a year or two.
You're trapped in a burning building though so rolling means rolling in more fire. You'd have to choose the gun.No, I'm saying the opposite - that people can't assume it can be cured as easily as an illness.
I think it's perfectly ok to kill oneself regardless of circumstances but to invalidate the statement of 'killing yourself is never the answer', you just need to consider if you were on fire and there was a gun nearby. Would you burn to death painfully or use the gun? Replace the fire with any number of things - bad memories, bad circumstances, illnesses that are inescapable.People often suggest mental 'illness' is the cause of people taking their own lives or that it...
I agree, I really liked the video. I think a lot of the time public statements on these issues are made dishonestly. Everybody curates how they present their views on topics so they get the expected reaction. It's in part to distance themselves from people with views objectionable to them. If someone was to write down a list of everything a racist, sexist, homophobe etc would say and if what they say in any way comes close to these statements then they use it as an...