or Connect

Posts by Marvin

There was a set of pictures showing the 5S and the leak/mockup next to it:http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/11/jimmy-lin-iphone-6-mockup/The first picture doesn't look too bad but the lines are pretty heavy. Some of the pictured models don't have logos, some have cutouts, the one there looks like the usual embossed logo in the first picture. The front camera is too high up again, which suggests it's more likely to be one of the Goophone models:The Goophone clones have a...
That should be logged in their system. Some people with that many failures have been given the option of a new machine, some have been refused further repairs. Take it back and tell them you'd like to get another product, it's a losing battle trying to get that model repeatedly fixed. Even if they give you an entry Macbook Air, it's worth about the same as the 2011 MBP and you can sell it and upgrade to a 15".
They had a similar problem when Steve was at the company. They extended the warranty to 4 years from the date of purchase, they didn't replace every chip. They simply can't do that because the chips don't keep getting manufactured. By the time 3 years comes around, they are most likely recycling boards over and over until eventually people just have to buy a new machine. It's a bad situation to be in and I feel they should at least offer trade-in value towards a new...
Local US businesses are expected to pay corporation tax at 35%. If a US company is equally profitable outside the US but manages to circumvent taxation, they do better than the local company, which is an incentive to operate more outside the US than inside and they get an advantage in profit growth. Taxation is often seen as big business vs government but the rates have to be level to make it fair for small businesses. If Amazon pays 5% tax on half their earnings outside...
If you boot into safe mode by holding shift and type in TextEdit, does it still do it?One thing you can try is remapping the key using software like this:https://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/This way you can force the r-key to type lowercase r. Given that the external keyboard works ok, it might be a hardware problem.I see the capital r is happening there. Apple uses the shift keys to slow down some animation effects. If you hold shift and hit the minimize button on a...
You wouldn't always want to use as much hardware capability as possible. Consider GPU accelerated video decoding. It's more about getting the best performance-per-watt in order to keep the battery life up. If you did H.264 decoding on the CPU, battery life drops. In that instance, there is a well-defined complexity that simply needs to be solved with the least power and disabling other compute units helps with that. This is apparently why Intel increased the EUs in Iris as...
I think the notable advantage part was about restricting the code to fewer cores to save battery. There would be no advantage doing that on a workstation. I think you're right though that not all apps run OpenCL on both GPUs. Apps would have to create a compute context on each GPU as they don't run in CrossFire. Some apps do work on both as they are developed that way.
Did you read the link? It says there's a 30% tax on future transfers if institutions don't comply with the rulings for transparency of account ownership. It has nothing to do with forcing money into a different place. They just want to know where money is going and who's putting it there. Also, it was reported that Apple's foreign cash is held in US financial institutions, not the other way...
These threads always cycle round the same comments passing blame between Apple and the government and equating a company making ~$40b per year to individuals making thousands. It's legal to own a flamethrower in the US. Let's say every single person goes out and buys one and walks around with it, whose fault is it? The government isn't promoting the idea of everyone carrying a flamethrower by not writing a law to prevent it happening. Laws are often reactionary in that...
I figured they'd match the resize button colors to the label color palette. The resize colors are darker. Defaulting the plus button to full-screen I feel is going to annoy some people and IMO points towards them pushing full-screen apps like iOS. When everyone is used to full-screen apps and split screens, maybe they just open apps fullscreen by default. Then they can get rid of the idea of a windowed interface. When I look at my typical desktop view, I have a single...