or Connect

Posts by Marvin

This will be much like the unified Safari URL bar. If you type the URL wrong, it'll send requests to a search engine but this is a bit worse as it's the terms you use for local files, which could be people's names or more likely terms relating to obscene sexual content. They have a checkbox to turn it off though (2nd paragraph) so another perv crisis is averted:
Broadwell is a fairly big improvement in performance per watt. The 4.5W Core M Broadwell CPU scores the same in Cinebench as the 15W Macbook Air. http://www.techspot.com/news/58029-early-intel-core-m-benchmarks-look-very-impressive.html The GPU power is lower at around 60-70% of the Air but that's still a huge TDP drop and I expect they can match Iris (non-pro) graphics by boosting the TDP a bit. What I'm hoping to see in 2015 is for the 13" MBP to be dropped as well as...
That's assuming the people who bought the old models are not the target audience for the new ones. 80% of the mini sales could have been the old entry i5 model for all we know. Dropping the entry price $100 could increase sales volume significantly. It worked last quarter with $100 off the Air and cheaper iMac. This has boosted unit sales by 660k units. The average selling price is lower but overall revenue is up.
The default scores for some reason are single-core 32-bit. You need to click the 64-bit multi-core tab. The $300 mini upgrade to the i7-4578U is still only ~60% of the 2012 quad-i7. It took 2 years to drop 40% in CPU performance and that option is also $200 higher at $999 than the old $799 quad-core (which is now ~$500 refurb when it's in stock).
Supply and demand affect each other no question - if you supply what people don't want, you'll have poor demand; if demand is low for what you sell, supply needs to be adjusted to suit. Apple has been at this a long time and they can see what's selling and where retailers are ending up. Not many computer manufacturers have lasted 30 years. Samsung ditched their European PC market entirely this year, HP wanted to sell their PC division off (they are the largest PC...
There should be a report button when it says that, you can try pasting the contents of it into the forum.
I think he's the type that doesn't like to cause any conflict. That was indicated with him asking Steve to dial down the criticism of his design team. It probably also explains getting rid of Forstall and replacing him with Federighi. Federighi doesn't seem like the type that would argue over things. It was good that Steve gave Ive the authority to make decisions above everyone except Tim so that he doesn't have to argue with people.He was being humorous and lighthearted...
There are instructions for setting up a VPN server on OS X and OS X Server here:http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/apple-in-the-enterprise/apple-os-x-server-how-to-configure-a-vpn-service/http://blog.macminicolo.net/post/67570761408/setup-a-vpn-server-with-mavericks-server-10-9Public paid VPN services tend to be more reliable and faster than free ones but being shared, they still tend to drop you off the network at random. The problem you have with relying on home internet...
You don't need to move it around if you don't want to, you can even run it closed. Put out of your mind that it's a laptop and it's $100-150 difference between the mini you want and for that $100-150, you can use it in your bed if you like or take it somewhere with you.Apple has provided the numbers in the past. The laptops make up over 75% of their sales, the iMac is around 15-20% so there's around 5-10% split between the mini and Pro. Take whatever small portion is the...
The $300 upgrade to the i7 is pretty steep and looks like the same CPU from the 13" rMBP, which scores 7190 in Cinebench:http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarksEven the old entry quad scored 11690. The new one is ~60% of the old $799 model although the GPU should be about double. But if they'd used the quad from the MBP, the GPU would be 3-4x and the CPU would be faster at a slightly higher price point. This would have limited the CPUs they could use in the entry...