or Connect

Posts by Marvin

Maybe, the old one used the same i7 CPU as the MBP at the time. It's not clear which dual-core they could use though. The ones in the 13" MBP are different now - they are ULT versions of the chips.It's looking like it's EOL. The portable systems are driving sales. Without the Mini, the people who bought a Mini and are invested in the Mac ecosystem will simply buy higher priced Macs. The unit sales aren't high enough to worry about people switching to PCs or building...
Maybe they don't have any authority and are just saying they're ok with it. I'm ok with it too as it happens.
SSDs aren't all made the same like with HDD. They all make custom designs now. Apple's SSDs are bare computer boards:Maybe it can be something a bit more abstract to represent file storage like a filing cabinet but the danger with all these things is using something anachronistic. They do it with Mail in using letters and stamps so as long as they chose something that was still current and recognisable, that would be ok. HDDs will be around for a while but there will come...
I think that's true for enterprise apps for the most part but not consumer apps nor apps that big companies make their revenue from. Microsoft for example would never develop Office in a web-app suitable for deployment except in a way similar to Apple's iWork online or Google docs where the customer has to log onto a server.I'd say the vast majority of apps in future will be developed the way mobile apps are now and deployed through an app store and some enterprises are...
They went soldered as soon as they made a Retina model. The old model used stacked RAM slots, which are too tall to fit into a Retina model. 32GB is the maximum that the CPUs support but the vast majority of tasks won't max out 16GB. It's possible to do but you'd have to be doing a pretty heavy workload.Mavericks has a file cache now so it loads up more into RAM but it's not that you have less RAM available, it'll flush that extra content out when it needs to. The actual...
I think that's a great move to have them all at 16GB given that it's soldered. These are productive laptops so that amount is ideal. The only thing that seems odd is why they'd stick with the 750M when the 850M is available. It may not be all that odd if they are planning to phase out dedicated GPUs though. With 16GB of RAM, they can boost the IGP to have 2GB of VRAM like the dedicated model. Sticking with the 750M means that Iris Pro still looks strong next to it. Then...
Jeff Bezos has played it pretty smart because he's retained a significant shareholding himself. Currently he has 18% and is the largest Amazon shareholder giving him a personal net worth somewhere close to $27b - he is the 21st wealthiest individual in the world by this standard. This makes it difficult for other shareholders to gain leverage to have him replaced in order to profit. When he feels like investing in one of his own interests outside of Amazon, he just sells...
The statement that the 17" display looks better than the 15" is too generic to say in an absolute way - they guy above has both so maybe he could take photos of the two side by side at 1920. The text can't look better, nor can imagery that is higher resolution than the display. Possibly lower resolution image content. But the color reproduction isn't better, nor black levels, nor are the viewing angles. The 15" display is better in more areas than the old 17". The same...
There's a video review here comparing the two, the 15" wasn't set to the highest resolution:Image comparisons are around 1:47. The review is here:https://caseyfriday.com/2012/07/retina-macbook-pro-vs-17-macbook-pro/That guy liked the 17" model and the audio quality came out better. The 17" has a subwoofer."The retina MacBook Pro’s display is stupid good. When it was announced, I thought Nah, 1900 x 1200 on 17 inches is as good as it can get. I was wrong. I can run 1920...
The size difference isn't that big between them:The larger screen's sole benefit is scaling everything up a small amount, they both have the same 1920 x 1200 maximum resolution.A few people have been forced to go to the Retina model because of a failure of the old model or just needed an upgrade and found they prefer the improvement in display quality. It's now an IPS display with sharper text, improved viewing angles, better colors etc. Some people might like the extra...