or Connect

Posts by Marvin

Everybody should have SSDs.But it would cost $100 more and that option is available. If someone feels that 4GB isn't a high enough minimum, they click on the base model and switch to 8GB for $100 more.You are either saying that Apple should have kept the entry price at $599 or they should ship a $499 machine with 8GB of memory and take the hit on their profits. The first results in lower sales, the second results in lower profits. They only make $125 net profit on them so...
There's no reason to pay for the $300 i7 upgrade though. The i5-4278U scores ~6600 in Geekbench just like the comparison i5-4570R, the i7-4578U scores ~7200 (not 5204 you mentioned earlier). That would make the price difference $1099 vs $758 = $341. The Gigabyte still has Iris Pro vs Iris so double the GPU for $341 less:Apple's never matched PCs on price because they actually plan to stay in business. The Iris Pro chip would have added ~$150 to the price. I think an Iris...
I don't know why people assume that memory won't be enough over time. It just goes into swap like it has done for years. On top of that, it now compresses inactive memory so you get even more space.Mavericks is designed to use all the memory, it's not running out of memory, it just caches more things and flushes those caches out when other processes need it. If you add up everything minus the file cache it won't be much different from older systems.It was the buyer's fault...
You cover up the reality of the situation when promoting Apple alternatives. To get OS X to run on an Intel NUC, there's a guide here:http://www.thev.net/PaulLiu/nuc-hackintosh.html"But was all this effort worthwhile? Let’s compare a full NUC system to a Mac Mini. Mine is about $500 (after discount), D54250WYK + 8G memory + 180GB Intel SSD 530. The low end Mac Mini starts at $599, with Core i5 (not Haswell) + 4GB memory + 500GB hard drive. It may be a little bit pricier,...
This always happens when people compare their experiences with older models. The base Retina Macbook Pro now has 16GB soldered so what this means is that vs the 2012 model where it came with 4GB and you had to order 16GB from a 3rd party, open it up yourself and install it, you now get it bundled. There may be a chance you'd need 24GB or 32GB in future but it's unlikely. Soldered RAM means the IGPs get proper memory bandwidth.Now, if you buy an entry model machine with 4GB...
I expect it will always be free for people who buy new machines after the announcement. They can't easily backdate these things as they have to adjust costs, being a publicly traded company. If they give things away to existing customers, that is a cost that has to be accounted for. It's easier to factor it into future purchases.
This will be much like the unified Safari URL bar. If you type the URL wrong, it'll send requests to a search engine but this is a bit worse as it's the terms you use for local files, which could be people's names or more likely terms relating to obscene sexual content. They have a checkbox to turn it off though (2nd paragraph) so another perv crisis is averted:
Broadwell is a fairly big improvement in performance per watt. The 4.5W Core M Broadwell CPU scores the same in Cinebench as the 15W Macbook Air. http://www.techspot.com/news/58029-early-intel-core-m-benchmarks-look-very-impressive.html The GPU power is lower at around 60-70% of the Air but that's still a huge TDP drop and I expect they can match Iris (non-pro) graphics by boosting the TDP a bit. What I'm hoping to see in 2015 is for the 13" MBP to be dropped as well as...
That's assuming the people who bought the old models are not the target audience for the new ones. 80% of the mini sales could have been the old entry i5 model for all we know. Dropping the entry price $100 could increase sales volume significantly. It worked last quarter with $100 off the Air and cheaper iMac. This has boosted unit sales by 660k units. The average selling price is lower but overall revenue is up.
The default scores for some reason are single-core 32-bit. You need to click the 64-bit multi-core tab. The $300 mini upgrade to the i7-4578U is still only ~60% of the 2012 quad-i7. It took 2 years to drop 40% in CPU performance and that option is also $200 higher at $999 than the old $799 quad-core (which is now ~$500 refurb when it's in stock).